Methanol Drum Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methanol Drum Handling

What is the easiest and safest way of getting Methanol from a 205L Drum into smaller containers?

Rotary pumps are said not to be suitable as they give off static.

Re: Methanol Drum Handling

When I collected Methanol from Whitey's they transferred it into my containers using a manual pump. It wasn't a standard rotary one though, it had more of an up and down pumping action.

I believe you can also get rotary pumps that are safe for methanol, that are the same design just made out of different materials. No idea where though!!
    Sean

Comment

Why not just put a tap in the 1" bung hole and pour it from there? The bung will take either a standard household tap or a lever type ball valve with a male/ male fitting.

If you put a breather at the top with the open end above the drum the meth will flow freely and smoothly. You may like to put another valve at the top of the drum if you want to decant more later so you can just open it and not have any meth vapour escape.

Comment

Hi all,
        That is what I have in mind also (Above picture) but I have also been offered a drum stand that you hook under the 44 while it is standing then roll it over on to it side, Then you can then wheel it around. It has a rounded end so it rolls over easier and it puts the tap at about the correct height for a 20lt drum to go under.
        I have not used it yet but the guy who offered it to me says its easy to use with one person. No idea of where you would find one thou. Maybe Blackwoods??
        I do like the vent. I might use that idea myself.
        Chris
        96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
        93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
        90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
        Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

Working...
        X