Frytol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frytol

Is there any way to test this stuff for acidity etc? As posted further below I cant get this stuf to convert properly and just wondering whether there is anything else I can test for to see why it wont convert. Clean V.O I can do no probs. This stuff-no way.
    Cheers

Re: Frytol

No suggestions?
    Is there anyone in midwest WA who might be able to do a Dr Pepper on this stuff to see where I am going wrong?

Comment

get back to basics dude.

start with clean vege oil get good with that. Practise your titration. Try a few methods at least three times with the same batch to be objective. Phenothaline, tumeric chopstick etc, and be sure of the titration. If the oil is dry and all of your reactants are dry then the ingredients are not the problem. Heat the oil to 6- or 70 and allow it to settle. The water will fall to the bottom if there is water in the oil. Ensure you keeping the oil at 50 for the full hour for conversion to take place. Ensure the oil and methoxide is agitated. Dunno about your method but if you are doing small dr pepper batches you'll need 3 1 minute mixes. If you have a stirer, keep it going for an hour.

Read and reread all of your documentation and you'll see what you are doing wrong.

All the best

Joe
      Last edited by joe; 3 October 2006, 01:15 AM.
      Joe Morgan
      Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
      http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
      SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Cheers for the reply Joe, done all that unfortunately.
        Perfect with new oil. Have done about 10 trys with the frytol, all with exactly same result. (see previous posts of mine over last few weeks and pics also. Have replaced Sodium hydroxide and methanol,
        have tried again with new oil to ensure no water in Methoxide. Have heated the frytol to 120 degrees to clear water. Have done several titrations, which come up between 9 and 13 grams lye.
        Also have done the last 5 batches with 5, 8, 10, 13 and 16 grams in case titration wrong. Result pretty much the same each time.
        solid about 95% (like Frytol at room temp) 5% oil (bio?)
        cant do 3 one minute mixes, goes like sludge with 10-15 secs of first shake.
        Lost now and need to see someone try a Dr Pepper with this feedstock or another suggestion with the Frytol. Is there any other parameter I need to check?

Comment

There is you problem

With an NaOH titration between 9 and 13 it is very unlikely you will ever have success using NaOH as the catalyst. There will be too much soap produced which quickly turns everything to a soap gel.

Either try some KOH or preferably get some better oil

Tilly

Comment

Cheers Tilly.

I cant say that I have seen anyone else write that high titration figures would be only successful with KOH?
            where do I get small quantities of KOH? and what is it branded as? in WA

Comment

I should clarify that I mean it is between 4 and 8 ml in titration, making 9 to 13 grams Naoh

Comment

Spud,

Get your hands on some KOH, (with rubber gloves) you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's also known as caustic potash. Find a household cleaning product manufacturer or pool chemicals place, but they're likely to only supply 25kg bags.

I found this craft soap supplies place in WA that sells small quantities of potassium hydroxide (KOH). They do mail order too, although Hazardous goods through the post could get pricey. Give them a call.

Yggdrasils - Workshops and Soap Supplies
                geewizztoo
                Last edited by geewizztoo; 4 October 2006, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X