Splash or no splash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splash or no splash

I can't remember reading about the best method to feed back into the reactor the circulating BD brew.

Is it better to have it:
    1. vigorously splash in from above creating lots of bubbles
    2. splash in but creating less bubbles
    3. return below the brew level eliminating bubbles

Is it better to have it:
    1. enter down from the centre creating internal donut circulation
    2. enter down a side creating vertical role circulation
    3. enter from the side directed horizontally across
    4. enter from the side with an angle to swerl the mix.

or is there no apparent benefit from any entry method?
    G
    gwalker
    Last edited by gwalker; 30 September 2006, 07:52 PM.

Re: Spash or no splash

I didn't realise there was so many ways to get mixed up.

Comment

Hi G
      on my reactor which is an old hws I welded a elbow into the top offset from the centre and at an angle as per ya description (no.4) to swirl. i also welded the inside ofthe elbow on output side of elbow to restrict it a bit. oh and I used all 3/4" fittings.

Cheers Fantom

Comment

This is really about whether vigorous agitation works better than gentle agitation and if oxygenating the mixture benefits or hinders the process.
        G

Comment

Hello all

Tests have shown that it is best to have an initial violent aggitation to get the reaction started.
          Tests have shown that once the mixture increases in viscosity and then decreases in viscosity, violent mixing is no longer required.
          Tests have shown that in order to obtain maximum conversion for the reactants present, you must mix in a manner that does not allow the glycerine to settle out.
          Tests have shown that your reactor must not allow methanol to excape from the reaction.
          Tests have shown that at 50deg C the reaction is finished in about an hour.

Tilly

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
            Hello all

Tests have shown that it is best to have an initial violent aggitation to get the reaction started.
            Tests have shown that once the mixture increases in viscosity and then decreases in viscosity, violent mixing is no longer required.
            Tests have shown that in order to obtain maximum conversion for the reactants present, you must mix in a manner that does not allow the glycerine to settle out.
            Tests have shown that your reactor must not allow methanol to excape from the reaction.
            Tests have shown that at 50deg C the reaction is finished in about an hour.

Tilly
            Thank you again. I can design my reactor to work within these parameters.
            G

Comment

Working...
            X