Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing water from WVO, confusion reigns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing water from WVO, confusion reigns!

OK I give up, I have been surfing the net for about a week (my eyes look like this too!!!!) in the hope I wouldn't have to bug everyone on this forum with questions that sound unresearched. Apologies if my questions do sound unresearched, rest assured they are not.
    I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on how best to remove the water from the wvo before reacting. I have looked at countless sights (yes there is a pun intended here) and as is usual there seems to be a thousand skun cats roaming around. Some say boil it off, some say warm it and settle it, some say do nothing at all and just react to your hearts content. How do you guys do it if you do it at all?
    My original plan was to crank the oil up to 110c, circulate it with a pump and have it pour back into the top of the drum. Clearly the lid of the drum needs enough venting to allow the steam to escape. I am keen to hear all thoughts so I can go back to building "Mr Squiggles Rocket" as its been dubbed (if you assume I am building a cone bottom you are correct).

completely cofused

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"
    Rgds

Adam

Re: Removing water from WVO, confusion reigns!

Leave it sit in the hot sun

The longer the better, but at least all morning.

Tilly

Comment

I find the following thwe best summary.

1. Filter out all the solid crap you can. Food scraps hold water. Fly screen and old stockings work OK. Smaller mesh just clogs too fast.

2. Leave your WVO to settle in a drum for a week or so. Open topped. Pref in the sun [but under cover].

3. Heat a small batch to 100 deg C. See if it boils... and how long it takes to stop boiling. If you have a 'wet' [ie, long boiling] lot of oil. Consider changing supply, or the way it is supplied. IE. Provide you own drum with weather guard.

4. If you have no choice. Heat your WVO to 100 deg until it stops boiling. Then to 120 deg until your get smoke or steam. Let it cool. This has worked fine for the 'wet' stuff I had. But I rectified the problem by providing my own drum that prevents weather from adding water to my supplier.

Comment

G'day,

Do what the previous 2 posts suggest, and use KOH.

You shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Hi zigparacingtadpole,

I had the same problem as you with watererd oil. My supplier had buildings removed from the rear moving my drum into an area with no cover. The verandah had been removed. My collection drum is a 44 gall drum with a hinged flat lid. Consequenly my oil got water in during queensland rains. UGH!!!
          The hole should have a raised lip higher than the outside drum rim.
          Solutions:
          I tried numerous suggested one's. Boiling, thats ok if you stay in attendance and stir with a stick, otherwise watch for the boiling water bubble explosions, not nice!

Time is great, longer the better, BUT!!!! with reaaly Hydrogenated oil time means TIIIIIIIIII_______Me You could grow old waiting.

I have tried many other suggestions too. The saying time is good, I fully believe - but it depends how old you are and how long you can wait????

My heavily hydrogenated oil I found a pain. settling did nothing for a long time.

SOLUTION: For me I deal with all my oil that has any sign of water; with the every day stuff, I leave to settle in carboys for a day or two. You can see if there is water at the bottom. Filter cold through a pool filter untill you get to the water, pour this in another carboy.
          Then put 10%/15% of glycerine in the carboy and fill up with the oil. Let it stand in the sun or in open areas as it does not have to be in direct sunlighjt. From 1 to 3 days and I can siphon off. Refill with the next lot. It is no longer a problem, a pain sometimes, but better than waste. I had a 200 Litre drum on beige coloured heavy oil that I believed to be beyond recovery. No longer - steadily I put it all through this process and it has all been used now and processed VOILA!. NO B/S I have found this for me to be the best method. What used to be a reaaaaal pain is no longer. Also it does not always need direct sunlight, the UV has worked over heavy cloudy days as well. Why does it works? I dont know. All I know is that I was aware was that Glycerine and water have an affinity. I will use no other method now my life is on an even path without any real hassles (with oil I mean). It might also work for you. (I always have 4 x 20lt carboy in the back garden with oil and Glyc or waiting for watered oil.
          It was one of the worst parts of the exercise until I started this. Good Luck. This is only one of the positives of this wonderfull stuff that is our by-product of GLYCERINE.

Rgds

dillyman
          dillyman
          Last edited by dillyman; 2 October 2006, 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Comment

Thanks all, your input is greatly recieved and much appreciated.

dillyman, do you recover the meth out the glycerine before you use it to dewater?

Thanks once again folks

Adam

Rgds

Adam

Comment

Hi Im new here.
              And I will preface this by saying that I havent actualy tested it yet I am however quite confident that it will work well as long as I can find suiatable prefilter housings at the "right" price. people with experience with large bag filters and screens. speak to me!

Broadly the plan is And this is made possible because I have a 500L 6 bar SS pressure vessel with an integral bottom mounted heat exchange. ( couldnt believe my luck)

That said this sort of design is not as inacessable as you might think, The cheep option would be to use an out of test 80L SS LPG tank they are not that hard to find. and its not that hard to make copper tank coils and silver solder through holes in the big brass metering and manafold block that this sort of tank usualy comes with. take it out of the tank first be carfull the last one of these tanks I played with had rather a lot of residual gas in it. Is you have to cut or weld the tank, vent it with lots of compressed air then fill it with argosheild

Solar heat via pannels running glycol to the heatexchanger tubes.
              Vaccume provided be a compressed air ejector or if need be my high vac pump As well as its dewatering function the vaccume will be used to draw feedstock from a solar preheat tank, through an stainless basket screen and a relativly open pore bag filter or fine SS mesh. Im actualy not sure if the main filter stage should be before or after the heat and vaccume bit. mabe both at different porosities. Or If very cruddy feed It maY need to be screening only upstream with the filter stage downstreem. advice apreciated if anyone can help here. I guess people running WVO rather than biodeisel may have experience with that aspect. If I can find enough solar panels and another heat exchange I would like to try an agressive preheat to make the feed to the tank partialy flashing as this would speed up the process with very wet feed.

On the 80L scale I think no prefilter, setteling and one post dewatering filtration step would be Ok for most feeds.

is anyone doing something simmilar
              Tim

Comment

Hi Im new here.
                And I will preface this by saying that I havent actualy tested it yet I am however quite confident that it will work well as long as I can find suiatable prefilter housings at the "right" price. people with experience with large bag filters and screens. speak to me!

Broadly the plan is And this is made possible because I have a 500L 6 bar SS pressure vessel with an integral bottom mounted heat exchange. ( couldnt believe my luck)

That said this sort of design is not as inacessable as you might think, The cheep option would be to use an out of test 80L SS LPG tank they are not that hard to find. and its not that hard to make copper tank coils and silver solder through holes in the big brass metering and manafold block that this sort of tank usualy comes with. take it out of the tank first be carfull the last one of these tanks I played with had rather a lot of residual gas in it. Is you have to cut or weld the tank, vent it with lots of compressed air then fill it with argosheild

Solar heat via pannels running glycol to the heatexchanger tubes.
                Vaccume provided be a compressed air ejector or if need be my high vac pump As well as its dewatering function the vaccume will be used to draw feedstock from a solar preheat tank, through an stainless basket screen and a relativly open pore bag filter or fine SS mesh. Im actualy not sure if the main filter stage should be before or after the heat and vaccume bit. mabe both at different porosities. Or If very cruddy feed It maY need to be screening only upstream with the filter stage downstreem. advice apreciated if anyone can help here. I guess people running WVO rather than biodeisel may have experience with that aspect. If I can find enough solar panels and another heat exchange I would like to try an agressive preheat to make the feed to the tank partialy flashing as this would speed up the process with very wet feed.

On the 80L scale I think no prefilter, setteling and one post dewatering filtration step would be Ok for most feeds.

is anyone doing something simmilar
                Tim

Comment

I should add that this set up with the addition of a condenser and lower vaccume level / temp. will also do your methanol recovery nicely. Even without the use of solar heat. using vaccume is miles more energy efficent aside from its other benifets. it occurs to me that for very cruddy and solidified stock you could incorporate a heatexchange in the same housing as the filter screen. It would reduce construction costs by comparison with separate preheat, as well as faster filtration and improve draining.
                  Tim

Comment

Working...
                  X