Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what blending ratio..?

Hello all,
    I have a merc 1981 300d I want to run used blended cotton seed oil, but what ratio would others recommened, it's a single tank system as per original.
    I have checked the forum i was thinking a ratio of 70% oil 20%dino and 10% petrol.
    I live in melbourne south east on the mornigton penisula coldest we see is maybe 10-14 deg but where i work in the dandenong ranges it gets a lot colder 0-5degC. and the car can sit 8-14hrs depending on my shift.
    What ratio would safely allow me to drive to work and not get stranded?
    Thanks in advance
    Anthony

Re: what blending ratio..?

Hello Anthony, regardless of the vegetable oil source the most productive blend that I am familiar with is 80% veg to 20% petrol, and no diesel is required. There really is no magical quality to diesel fuel, so if you feel like donating money to the oil industry, then put as much in as you want.

Comment

Thankyou for that
      What temp's have you found this ratio to work at any problems ?
      Cheers Anthony

Comment

HI Anthony, I successfully started my 6.2L diesel engine at 0F (-18c) several times this winter without the use of a block heater. At that temperature my fuel was still liquid and fired well.
        Jeffrey S. Brooks
        Banned
        Last edited by Jeffrey S. Brooks; 20 July 2011, 06:33 AM.

Comment

What about a two tank system?
          Better for cold startup and the engine!
          1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
          1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
          2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Comment

Originally posted by Grampiansmerc View Post
            What about a two tank system?
            Better for cold startup and the engine!
            Yes, blending can help with startup and keeping things liquid in especially cold climates. And, the startup fuel for a two-tank system could be a blended fuel. Also, since two-tank systems are really not effective for short haul applications, then blending is a good solution for the errands around town.

Comment

Hi Jeffery,
              Was the vehicle inside or outside?
              What temperture was the fuel at?
              Did you measure it?
              Originally posted by Jeffrey S. Brooks View Post
              HI Anthony, I successfully started my 6.2L diesel engine at 0F (-18c) several times this winter without the use of a block heater. At that temperature my fuel was still liquid and fired well.

Comment

When I started my engine up at -18c it was outside under snow drift. No, I did not measure the fuel temp, but it could not have been more than a few degrees warmer than -18c

Comment

Hi Jeffery,
                  -18C for blended SVO is very impressive.
                  A lot of my biodiesel made from various types of veg oil starts to cloud around 0c.
                  What type of veg oil do you use.
                  Do you cold filter the oil?
                  What do you use to blend the WVO with?

Comment

No, I do not cold filter. I blend WVO from various sources with petrol at 80% WVO/20% petrol. Then I let that blend settle for about 24 hours, then I drain off about 10% of the blend, which is mostly sludge, then I filter through one 1-micron 20" bag filter. My fuel remains liquid down at least to 0F (-18c), and my engine starts on that blend like it was a warm day on diesel fuel.

Comment

Hello jeffery and others,

would there be a problem if i started adding blended veg oil to the tank (single tank) with diesel still in it.?
                      Cheers Anthony

Comment

No. But blending outside the tank is best to ensure a proper mix. My friends in France turn over their fuel 6 times before they regard it as blended.

Tim
                        Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                        12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                        Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                        Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                        Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

There should be no adverse effects of adding blended vegetable oil to the existing diesel in the fuel tank, provided the blend does not have so much veggie oil in it that the engine will not start from cold on it.

In other words, go slow on increasing the % veggie in the blend.

It is very embarrassing to have a "Fail To Start" when espousing, to your friends, the virtues of using veggie oil.

Regards,
                          Tony
                          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by anths View Post
                            Hello jeffery and others,

would there be a problem if i started adding blended veg oil to the tank (single tank) with diesel still in it.?
                            Cheers Anthony
                            I consider diesel fuel neutral in the blend. There is generally no problem with diesel fuel in the tank when adding a WVO/petrol blend. If one were to take a cautious approach to blending, then one could make an 80/20 blend of WVO and petrol and ad it to a tank of diesel fuel making the resulting solution 50% diesel fuel + 40% WVO + 10% petrol. This blend should work in any engine year round in most regions other than the tundra.

Comment

Thanks to all,
                              I went about installing a twin tank setup which i will use the main tank for blending wvo and 20ltr start up tank.
                              It's a home brew design which appears to be working well,
                              running 80/20ulp mixture proved to be a little high for the mercedes,she started running hot so i added extra oil at a guess 90/10 which appears to be fine although i have noticed when the engine is cooler it takes a little more effort to start.
                              It didn't take long to get into the habbit of switching the tanks a few minutes before stopping which solved the problem and fire straight away on diesel

Until i have everything sorted im using my start up tank as a blending tank as it's quicker to sort out 20ltrs than the main tank
                              being able to switch fuel tanks when something isnt right has proved to really helpfull no point forcing the engine if it's not happy until you can sort the ratio out properly.

next thing will be to blend the fuel in advance and let it sit

Im also planning on fitting water/meth injection to help keep everything clean and add a little performance!

Cheers again Anthony

Comment

Working...
                              X