Some possible outages ahead for upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some possible outages ahead for upgrades

Hello forum users. Just a quick warning that there may be some more downtime in the next week or 2. I have to move DNS providers for this website. While I have prepared as well as I can for this, I also have to depend on commercial DNS providers who have bought the company I used to use. Best case scenario - the site may be unavailable for a couple of minutes. Worst case scenario - It may be down for days (happened to me on another site I host recently). I'm 90% sure it will be the first scenario, so I don't want to scare anyone.

I'll try to post again a day or 2 before I make the change.

I will also be taking the site offline to run some major upgrades a week or 2 after this DNS change is done, but I will report on that separately before I do it.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Some possible outages ahead for upgrades

I've decided to attempt this change tonight, as my weekend will be too full. As of 10pm tonight AEST, I will commit the DNS change that is needed. There might be a hiccup or two as the servers move, there might be a little bit of downtime, but hopefully it is only very brief. I'll post again once it has happened so you all know it's back to normal.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Robert,
      Will this kick members who are logged in to the forum, off the forum until it is restored??

Thanks,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Tony, no, it will not kick any logins off. The server and the site will remain as they were. only the DNS (the bit that points the names of the internet to the numbers of the internet) is changing.
        I've just committed the change now, so it may be up to 2 hours before it actually hits the rest of the 'net and there may be some very minor disruptions when this happens. I expect no one will notice anything though and it will be business as usual.
        I'll do some other more disruptive upgrades in the coming weeks, this was just the first step.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Phew. Seems that it took without a hitch. I can see that the new DNS provider has now taken over and the records are active. Seems to all be OK, so please continue to use the forum...
          I will announce again before the next upgrade.
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

OK, I was able to liog in , so DNS works fine from here.

Regards,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
            X