Biofuels look to the next generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biofuels look to the next generation

Biofuels are being hailed by politicians around the globe as a salvation from the twin evils of high oil prices and climate change. The boom in biofuels in the US stems from President Bush's drive to reduce dependence on imports of foreign oil; in Europe it has a more environmental dimension.

More...
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Biofuels look to the next generation

'5% by 2010' ..too little too late!

Comment

Its all a theatrical farce. "Leaders" are not interested in biofuels nor the enviroenment but only in harnessing the petro economy as strongly as they can.

All this you read is spice for all the little people who vote. And so are all the other poking at the windmills. We are half a century or more away from any serious attempt at using alternative energy sources. Only an extraordianry discovery that cannot be suppressed, something like splitting the water molecule by some simple and energy miser system will change the status quo.
      Presently we are NOT using ANY alternative energy in ANY meaningful way and this will keep on being so, unless someone find a way to produce energy in a tomato tin in his backyard and manages to get this out before being killed.

Comment

I thought the twin evils were

Iran and North Korea

Tilly

Comment

Interesting what they say about 2nd generation production. I was looking into where methanol came from a little while ago, and it's from plant matter breaking down. At the time, I thought it would be great to grow hemp to make fuel, because after you've extracted the oil, you can use the rest of the plant to make methanol.

Pity they'd never consider it though.

Comment

Hi Folks
            Been out of the loop for a while.Suddenly things started happening at hundred miles an hour.Focus,team work and attitude is the way ahead of collectively making a the transition into the Next Generation fuel solution as we all like minded humans know.
            I had eairler on the year posted about what I was adventuring and exploring to do in India.
            Boy Oh Boy!!!Did I burn midnight candles for it .But then if you dream it you can do it.
            On the 29th Sept 2006 all that of the intial first phase kinda came into place.The first module of a mega bio fuels refinery producing 100 million Gallons of ethanol from corn/sorgum/potatoe/...multiple feed that is available locally with buy back arrangements from the farmers so that it developes micro economy and empowers women and children.The refinery will also have a 1000tpd Bio diesel unit using GM Jatropha /and multi feedstock...again emphasis is on buy back arrangement and micro economy development.....the third part of the refinery will recycle plastic ,tires .....all that(a home grown technology of India about which i had put up a post earlier).t
            The whole venture first phase is US$1 billion. .And will be operational by last quarter 2008.
            The group is called NEXGEN Bio Fuels.This refinery will be set up in the port city of Haldia,State of West Bengal in India because of it's locational advantage (port,land transport and storage facilities).
            This is the first module of it's kind in the world using venture capital to not only be a part of the transition of fuels from dino to bio but also a module that essentially helps to develop micro economics of the region.
            We want to set up intially 16 such units dotting the landscape of India.So that 20% by 2010 is a possibilty.
            The next immediate venture of NEXGEN is to undertake plantation of 700000 hectares in the North East States of India.
            We will be using cloned J atropha that now actually produces oil in the first year ,the wait of 3 years is over.And everyone will be proud to know that the man behind the whole development of the plants is an Aussie Mr.Peter Linking(who is also a member of the forum).
            As much as I would like to get back home and chill for a while.I don't think that will be a possibility for the next few months.
            Good to know the tempo and interaction on possible solutions for the next generation is on.
            Lets keep sharing.We can only do it together.

We are also looking at hemp as another source very very seriously.Will keep everyone posted.

Cheers
            Sauman

Comment

Originally posted by Amber View Post
              Interesting what they say about 2nd generation production. I was looking into where methanol came from a little while ago, and it's from plant matter breaking down. At the time, I thought it would be great to grow hemp to make fuel, because after you've extracted the oil, you can use the rest of the plant to make methanol.

Pity they'd never consider it though.
              Methanol production from plant matter was the old way to make it, invented in about 1820ties it is very inefficient.
              Currently Methanol is made from Methane gas but there is a better way and that is from CO2 by use of Enzymes.

Robert
              Administrator
              Last edited by Robert; 4 October 2006, 09:34 PM. Reason: Fixed up a link.

Comment

Sorry about that c... link. Copy and paste the whole string and it will work/ May be Robert can fix it.

Comment

Fixed the link.
                  That's a cool idea, I like it making methanol from CO2! great way to clean up some carbon emissions too.
                  Robert.
                  Site Admin.

Comment

Working...
                  X