Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WVO in kerosene heater question

Hey all

New guy on the forum here. I am not from down under but I am hoping you all can help me anyway. Didn't know where exactly to put this so I'm posting it here.

I have decided to heat a small greenhouse with a simple wick style kerosene heater. With Kerosene prices going up every time I look at the pump I am investigating alternatives. I have been emailing with a kerosene heater salesman who seems to be open to alternative fuels and he tells me that the problem people have had with using straight WVO is that the oil clogs the wick. He tells me that I will have to diligently strain and filter the oil.

I have been experimenting with using mixes of WVO and Kerosene in wick type oil lamps with decent success (so far using half and half mix). I am hoping some of you may have some ideas as to what types of mixes, treatments ect will help me successful with this.

I know people successfully use biodiesel in these type heaters. However, I would prefer to make it work without having to actually set up to make biodiesel. Such a set up seems like it would be quite expensive and would take a long time to recoup the cost in my situation.

Have any of you tried this type of thing before? If so do you have any advice for me?

Thanks,

Ray

Re: WVO in kerosene heater question

Ray,
    Good idea to try out your blends in a lamp.

Try using Diesel instead of Kerosene in the heater before trying a blend. Diesel is generally cheaper than Kerosene or Heating oil.

If you wish to try the blends, start with a from 10% oil content slowly increasing the oil proportion (at monthly intervals), allowing time for any issues to appear.

It is likely that you will decrease the wick life as I believe the veggie oil may polymerise in the wick, due to the high temperatures at that point in the burner.

How much does a wick cost for your heater?
    How much of a cost saving would you need to make (by burning oil) to justify changing the wick more often?

Regards,
    Tony
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 15 September 2011, 09:48 PM. Reason: Missed the H on "eating oil"
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Re: WVO in kerosene heater question

Ray

Is it possible there is someone in your area that makes Bio and is willing to trade some WVO for Bio ?
      There seem to be plenty of contacts in the States making Bio.

I'd probably trade 10 litres of Bio for about 40 of oil here. that's only two tins of oil.
      How much does the wick use ?

Michael
      97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
      2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
      2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
      2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
      Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Working...
      X