No announcement yet.

Engine missing at 3000 revs under load!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine missing at 3000 revs under load!

I took a trip yesterday and felt the TD 4.2 GQ Patrol engine missing when going up hills in a 110km area. This is my second 50 litre load of BD (Volume Plus South Hurstville @ $1.32 litre). I've changed the CAV filter once with a RYCO filter. (Where can I buy delphi? I can't find a supplier.) The bowl is clear yellow and doesn't show any sediment.

Am I still cleaning the system out? The tank is a long range 150 litres aftermarket that has been on dinodiesel for 250,000 km.
    G
    Last edited by joe; 16 February 2024, 02:27 AM.

Re: Engine missing at 3000 revs under load!

The sediment bowl on the CAV pattern fuel filters will collect material which has a different density to the fuel being used (eg water and metal).
    If the "gunge" from the 250 000km of diesel use has a similar density to the fuel being used (biodiesel or veggie oil), then it will not settle in the sediment bowl, but will block the filter instead.

I use a cheap $2.00 inline filter to protect the more expensive OEM filters..

Your 'missing under load' may not be fuel starvation due to a blocked filter, but could be fuel starvation due to an air leak into the fuel system. You should verify thatall fuel line clamps are tight and that the fuel filter is sealted well. I have had a CAV filter leak air in, but not leak fuel out.
    Last edited by joe; 16 February 2024, 02:27 AM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I've filled up at Volume Plus South Hurstville several times in the last few months. Despite having used high blend biodiesel for twelve months and having changed my fuel filter at least four times in that period, during my most recent service the fuel filter was absolutely filthy.

During the time that the specific filter was in the system I had almost exclusively used Volume Plus fuel, a lot of it from South Hurstville. For me the evidence seemed pretty strong that I had been buying dirty fuel from Volume Plus. Whether the fuel was constantly low quality or I got one dirty batch I have no way of knowing. But the message from me is be very wary of Volume Plus!

Cheers

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by gwalker View Post
        Where can I buy delphi? I can't find a supplier
        G
        E-bay or E-bay.
        Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Originally posted by biofuelbaby View Post
          I've filled up at Volume Plus South Hurstville several times in the last few months. Despite having used high blend biodiesel for twelve months and having changed my fuel filter at least four times in that period, during my most recent service the fuel filter was absolutely filthy.

During the time that the specific filter was in the system I had almost exclusively used Volume Plus fuel, a lot of it from South Hurstville. For me the evidence seemed pretty strong that I had been buying dirty fuel from Volume Plus. Whether the fuel was constantly low quality or I got one dirty batch I have no way of knowing. But the message from me is be very wary of Volume Plus!

Cheers

Phil
          Phil,
          hmmmm, that could be it. I'll run most of it through the filter before I fill up again and change the filter.

Where else is there in Southern Sydney if I give VP a miss?
          G

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner View Post
            Where can you buy a Delpih filter ?
            E-bay or E-bay.
            I haven't been able to find one there over the last couple of weeks. I must have been looking in the wrong place.
            G
            Last edited by joe; 16 February 2024, 02:28 AM.

Comment

DONT USE VOLUME PLUS!!!
              I used it for 10000 ks and had a lot of C--p! from my cav filters and if you were at the picnic you would have seen a sample.It was part water, part what looked like wet bio and a lot of gunk of an unknown?
              Needless to say i wont be back to volume plus!!! Never had any trouble before vp.In that time i was filling up @ Strathfield, Liverpool and some from wentworthville.Never Ever Again!!!

Comment

I haven't been able to find one there over the last couple of weeks. I must have been looking in the wrong place.
                G
                I have also seen on ebay a dual head unit for cav filters. If you have room under the bonnet then this could be a really good option for you.

Also do you have a seperate fuel sedimenter? i have one on the landie up the back near the fuel tank for draining contaminants out before it even gets up near the cav filter. Ihave also seen on land rover sites optoins where people have changed the fuel sedimenter over for another cav filter and just retained the metal bowl rather than have a glass bowl in a vulnerable spot near the rear wheel.

With the cav filters it is also really important that you get the filter cartridge to seat properly otherwise you can have the fuel short cut around the filter. or so I have been told ...

Cheers,
                cameron

Comment

Johno I would have to agree with you there VP fuel the last time I filled up my 12 month old Rodeo caused me nothing but problems.

At the moment I am back using Dino cause I can't get a constant supply of BD that is of known quality so that I can be assured that I don't have big problems with my car.
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                    Also do you have a seperate fuel sedimenter?

With the cav filters it is also really important that you get the filter cartridge to seat properly otherwise you can have the fuel short cut around the filter. or so I have been told ...

Cheers,
                    cameron
                    Cameron. I have not heard of a separate fuel sedimenter before. Sounds like a good idea.

Currently I have a single CAV unit. It would be too cramped to install another one.

Comment

Originally posted by johnno View Post
                      DONT USE VOLUME PLUS!!!
                      Never Ever Again!!!
                      Like Jacka, this leaves me without a source for BD but I don't want to go back to dino. I really like the smell of my mobile barbeque.

Are there any reputable BD100 suppliers in Sydney?

Comment

Morris

Only supplier in Sydney that I would trust!
                        Dave

Comment

Cameron. I have not heard of a separate fuel sedimenter before. Sounds like a good idea.

My Rodeo has one sitting under thr drivers seat about 1/2 way along the fuel line. It is real easy to get to.

The only issue I have is that it is a very corse filter in it's own right and getting a filter between it and the fuel tank is an issue. Once the rodeo is out of warrantry I will be removing this filter and replace it with a steel CAV filter/sedimenter that will do 2 jobs not just one
                          Dave

Comment

Currently I have a single CAV unit. It would be too cramped to install another one.
                            The one on the defender is cool except people find that the little plastic drain plug can snap off if you aren't careful when draining. I have never had a problem myself but last time it came back from being serviced I know that they definitelly checked the fuel sedimenter cause the tap was snapped off! Funny they forgot to mention that ....

I can still open it with a pair of pliers and I also luckily bought a couple of spares that I keep in my tool box - they only cost about a buck each if that. I have heard of people sorting this out by using an appropriate cap head screw or similar in stainless steel by taking a spare plug along to a fasteners place like Coventry Fasteners and getting a suitable cap head or other bolt.

In my vehicle I find it very easy to drain - if I get a chance to take a photo you will see why - but I have also found it REALLY tricky to get the little sucker back in without getting fuel dribbles half way up your arm :-(

Cheers,
                            cameron

Comment

Try Bareco for filter assemblies - Filters - Air / Fuel Filters any tractor dealer will carry them,
                              or MTQ Engine Systems(Aust)Pty Ltd-Welcome-Small and Large Frame Turbo-Turbos-Turbochargers-Diesel Fuel Injection-4WD Turbo Kits Dandenong where I got a CAV filter head with a built in hand primer pump.
                              The cheapest place for filters in Melbourne I have found is truck bits Australia - http://www.truckbitsaust.com.au/. They also have a good range of LED lighting for 4X4 etc.
                              Volume plus at Holbrook appear OK as I have not had any problems so may be the problems are in the transport and storage at Sydney.
                              Last edited by smokey2; 5 October 2006, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X