Joined the Musso club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined the Musso club

The time has arrived. I stopped procrastinating and purchased a 2006 Musso yesterday.
    i pick up this week from the dealer so no pics yet.

for 10k I get a 2006 dual cab ute with 106k on the clock. What other ute can I get for that money?

michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
    Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Re: Joined the Musso club

Yes, they are a good car.
    It will be beneficial to join the Australian Ssangyong club.
    http://www.ssangyongownersclubofaustralia.org/forum/

Andrew at Lada and Korean car parts in Deception Bay has knowledge, excellent prices, and the parts seem to be always in stock.
    Mailed overnight.

As with any car, there are some known problems. do not hesitate to ask.

Is this the car you bought?

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for...hineCoast.html

Comment

Tilly
      well in fact yes this is the car !!!!
      I was happily surprised at how the car felt on the road. They are very car like in the ride, a little under powered but smooth with good driver vision and not ute like. I am excited with the opportunity to run dual fuel.

michael
      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Yes, they do drive more like a car than a truck.
        I am sure this is because they are a conversion of an SUV station wagon and have not changed the suspension to any great extent.
        I had a ride in another fellows 2 or 4 year old dual cab something or other 4X4 who was planning on driving to and Cook Town later that year. After half an hour I could not wait for the ride to end. The ride was terribly hard. The last thing in the world I would want to do is drive to Cook Town in his ute.

Mine is only a 2X4- it just does not snow enough here in Paradise to need a 4X4.

Comment

i'm not up with the later model vehicles, somehow as i get older everything around me seems to be older to, that seems like a good buy for the dollars, look forward to hearing of your adventures with it.
          cheers stuart
          just keep it simple

Comment

Thanks Stuart
            for 10k in a musso you get 2005 /2006 5 cylinder turbo diesel engine. 105,000 km's with an engine that should go 500,000 km's with out too many problems.
            this is a ute with electric windows , heavy duty hay man reese tow bar , relatively new four wheel drive tyres. very comfortable seats that seat five. there is ample space between seats front and back but I wouldn't want to be 7 feet tall. !!
            behind the rear seat is a compartment for storage of stuff so maybe rags , service book, fuel filters ,tools etc.
            No hard fibre glass canopy for the tray but comes standard with a tub liner and soft cover canopy sort of thing. Air , Stair , electric mirrors and windows.
            as you can also see an alloy bar on the front and side steps. full size alloy spare wheel too.

but no cruise control or remote central locking.

My first change will be adding an extra fuel filter before the main for the Bio clean out. Next will be looking at any mods to extend the life of the engine and also WVO set up with two tanks.
            If anyone has any suggestions please put them forward as this car is all new to me.

Kind Regards
            Michael
            2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Hi Michael,
              do you have the Musso yet?
              The Musso ute does not have a small inline pre-filter like on a Mercedes.
              I just cut the rubber fuel line prior to where it goes into the lift pump and installed a cheap $3 Super Cheap clear plastic filter there.

Things to be aware of
              The electrical wiring on the Musso is notoriously below standard.
              Never, Never, Never leave your keys in the car with all the windows up and close the door. This will certainly be the time that the central locking decides to lock itself. It happened to my daughter once on my old Musso.

Throttle position sensor (TPS)
              This is a major concern with the Musso, especially if you have the auto transmission. The TPS is used to help control the Automatic transmission shifting and opening and closing the EGR. It's failure will only really be a concern for you if you have an automatic transmission.
              The failure of the TPS causes random shifting, no shifting, shifting to a lower gear at high speed, not shifting into fourth gear and lots of other things.
              It is very easy to get to and remove. About a 5 minute job.
              However They cost over $300!!!
              I had one replaced under warranty. When the second one started playing up I did a bit of research and found they are just a 5000 Ω potentiometer. Should cost $20 and last forever. Of course it is sealed so you can not physically clean the contacts inside.
              I finally sprayed lots of WD40 up the shaft while rotating the shaft from stop to stop and it has worked fine for over a year now.
              tillyfromparadise
              Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 29 October 2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Tilly

No I don't have the car yet but hopefully Wednesday afternoon.
                Mine is a five speed manual but I will look out for the 5k ohm pot in jaycar.

Thanks for the tip.

Michael
                2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

This special thing about this pot is that it has to be a 90° rotation stop to stop.
                  Jaycar did not have them when I looked.
                  They re available on the net, but once I had mine working again I didn't chase it any further.
                  As long as you have the manual I do not think there is much to worry about, especially if you are thinking about blocking the EGR.

Comment

I've got it !!!
                    will be installing an extra fuel filter this weekend. Just a cheep one and 20 litres of Bio.

Nobody mentioned EGR here !!!! wasn't me !! nothing to see here...
                    Will post a couple of pictures and list of mods as I come accross them but it travels nicely. 5th gear is a bit short but luckily I'm looking to keep my licence this year.
                    Guess I have to change my Avatar now ??

Michael
                    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Hi Michael,
                      I am sure you will be happy with it.

Originally posted by SUZUDDIS View Post
                      I've got it !!!
                      ...5th gear is a bit short but luckily I'm looking to keep my licence this year.
                      Guess I have to change my Avatar now ??
                      Michael
                      That is the one thing that annoyed me. About 2500 rpm at 100km/h always sounded busy to me. It is just a little lower with the automatic. This rpm is where the engine seems to develop it's peak power and before they put the turbo on you needed all the power you could get.
                      A lot of the noise is actually induction noise.

If you want to spend the money, you can swap out the gears with a Musso petrol diff and that will give you 2500 rpm at 100 km/h in fourth gear.
                      As I recall that drops fifth gear to around 2200 rpm at 100 km/h.
                      I had that arrangement on my 96 Musso and on any gradiant I was constantly shifting gears.
                      tillyfromparadise
                      Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 1 November 2013, 05:04 PM.

Comment

You seem to be having fun with the gif images lately. Looks good.

I think I can wait with the gear box. Tinted windows next then a decent radio with four speakers and maybe a sub.
                        10 litres went in today after the new filter and fuel line. I miss the smell of Bio in the morning. Good to have it back.

My next immediate plan is to build a box in the back for oil drums to store while I am doing pickups along with the suction pump I have just purchased.
                        It's not a gear pump but rotary vane. This I will have for evacuting black containers when my storage runs low.

Again will post pics when available.

Michael
                        2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Hi Michael.
                          If you change the radio you might also want to think about a real antenna.
                          The original Musso SUV had a proper antenna on the offside rear fender.
                          When it was changed to a ute, they put the antenna in the front windscreen, This is very minimal.

On my 2006 Musso the original radio and replacement radio never received AM. Just a highish sort of tone that goes up and down with the engine speed.
                          The FM worked ok.

You should have another half a million km of virtually trouble free travel with your car. With any luck that could be closer to a million km of trouble free travel.

Has anyone mentioned the "wobbly" idle?
                          tillyfromparadise
                          Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 2 November 2013, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Tilly

Thanks for the radio advice. I will take this on board for when I make the upgrade. Luckily I have a nice alloy bar on the front so I guess that is where the radio arial will go.
                            A couple of nice LED lights as well.
                            Thanks again

Michael
                            2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

I have been considering a Musso too.
                              I have an old Mercedes 300 an it is getting very old.
                              I am looking for one of the Daewoo SUV's because they have the turbo.
                              They are also very rare.

Comment

Working...
                              X