Filtering question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering question

So I will continue to keep a filter on the car before the IP. My system is a one tank using original tank in a 1985 Nissan 720 Ute/Pickup. I feel that the filter blocks too readily with fatty deposits or reduces flow of thicker oil too much. My fuel line is heated and I run a heater hose a couple of times round the fuel filter from the engine block. The only symptoms I get are at speeds of 100kph or about 70mph when I have to accelerate quickly to get on the highway. The engine gets starved of fuel. Does anyone have a suggestion for a more open filter or some other solution. As I must use the highway to and from work.

re: Filtering question

I like the title of this thread.

I wonder how many times this thread will come in the search result.

I doubt that your oil is that well filtered. You better off cold filtering your oil to 1 micron not 5.

Are you using the Nissan original filter? If yes then the filter flow rate is too low for the wvo to flow through it. Even if it is hot.
    Fitian
    <><

Comment

re: Filtering question

The IP on the 720 may also have a sintered brass filter in the IP inlet, which can be partially blocked.
      It is easily removed and cleaned.

Your problem may be as simple this filter blocked.

Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Re: Filtering question

Originally posted by Fitian View Post
        I like the title of this thread.

I wonder how many times this thread will come in the search result.
        I changed the title of the thread because it didn't make any sense.
        Sean

Comment

Originally posted by pangit View Post
          I changed the title of the thread because it didn't make any sense.
          Thanks Sean.
          Now it surly does make sense.

Good on you Sean.
          Fitian
          <><

Comment

Originally posted by michael30.06 View Post
            The engine gets starved of fuel..
            Same old problem....luckily you have choices. Many of the Jap rotary IP's have a very high return to tank flow. Allow 500ml per minute filter throughput!
            For your one-tank set up you could:
            1/ Increase fuel filter size or run 2 in parallel.
            2/ Filter to a lower micron cold.
            3/ Increase blend ratio to make thinner fuel. ULP, dino, kero.
            4/ Increase before filter heat. Check with accurate gauge.
            5/ Swirl tank

Use a combination of the above.
            tbird650
            Last edited by tbird650; 24 October 2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones

Firstly, there shouldn't be any fats in your oil to block the filters in the first place. If this is a problem, you need to do more research on the various filtering methods such as Fitian's prefered shopping bag method or the settling systems some other people employ.
              I swear by the pillow case method that I learnt on this forum. The pillow case catches most of the fats and debris. It does a pretty amazing job by itself without the white sock!

Comment

Thankyou for the assistance I will investigate further and let you know what comes of it.

Comment

I've never actually heard of a 720 accelerating quickly to 100kmh

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
                  Same old problem....luckily you have choices. Many of the Jap rotary IP's have a very high return to tank flow. Allow 500ml per minute filter throughput!
                  For your one-tank set up you could:
                  1/ Increase fuel filter size or run 2 in parallel.
                  2/ Filter to a lower micron cold.
                  3/ Increase blend ratio to make thinner fuel. ULP, dino, kero.
                  4/ Increase before filter heat. Check with accurate gauge.
                  5/ Swirl tank

Use a combination of the above.
                  Or increase the size of your fuel lines. Yes I know you have heated lines which should help, but you need to increase flow as much as possible in whatever way you can. 12mm internal lines would suffice.

You don't have a kinked line, partially open tap or something similar do you? Maybe there is a filter hidden in the tank as per Landcruisers.

To install a swirl tank as per TBirds suggestion you will need to install a gear pump to push the oil up into the swirl tank. The swirl tank is mounted in the engine bay and reduces the distances and head the IP has to suck.

Tim
                  Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                  12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                  Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                  Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                  Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

That sounds like it may be my problem or I have run into a batch of water logged fuel. I tried google and my SD23 manual but cannot find any ref to the filter you mentioned. Any chance of more info or a picture. Thanks

Comment

I removed the Banjo bolt on the IP to check for a filter. There is no internal filter on my IP. But that bolt was not very well tightened. Next I will cold filter a batch of oil to 1 micron cold and change from the genuine Nissan fuel filter back to a Valvoline.
                      Does anyone know what range of spin on filters will suit this Nissan 720 SD23?
                      Thanks for all the help I will post the results.

Comment

I removed the Banjo bolt on the IP to check for a filter. There is no internal filter on my IP.
                        If your SD is like my SD33 and has an inline IP, there is a mesh filter on the lift pump inlet banjo bolt, not the IP inlet.

When I first bought my car, the filter was full of crap and partly destroyed. I'm not even sure it was brass - felt and looked like plastic.

Might help.
                        1987 Mercedes W124 300D
                        1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

I removed the Banjo bolt on the IP to check for a filter. There is no internal filter on my IP.
                          If it's a rotary IP like a toyota, the earlier ones had the strainer under the shut-off solenoid. Later ones are under the banjo bolt. To get to it.... first unscrew the cap-nut.... remove the banjo....then unscrew the banjo stud. (save all 3 copper washers for re-use). Look in the hole for a long skinny cylindrical nylon strainer. It will be fitted in situ with an 0-ring so can be firm to remove. Take care not to damage it. I found that a 6mm ball-ended allen key has just the right amount of "interference fit" to overcome the o-ring resistance.

Comment

That sounds like it may be my problem or I have run into a batch of water logged fuel. I tried google and my SD23 manual but cannot find any ref to the filter you mentioned. Any chance of more info or a picture. Thanks
                            It's not in any of my Landcruiser manuals either, but it was there. To find if you have one in your Nissan tank you will need to remove your suction line that goes into your fuel tank. This may need you to remove the fuel tank, not a 10 minute job. Others with 720's might be able to advise you whether this is worthwhile to do and whether there is in fact an in tank filter.

In the interim you could blow low air pressure back down the supply line and IF there is anything blocking the flow, you will clear it for the time being. IF you are concerned about crud in your fuel tank, removing the bung in the bottom of the tank might help empty it out, or remove the tank and swish some fuel around inside to clear it out properly.

None of these suggestions may directly resolve your problem, but IF there are blockage problems, then they may help. I call it my Merv Hughes solution - get things moving properly down the back end and it will fix all sorts of problems up the top

Tim
                            Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                            12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                            Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                            Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                            Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

I will try and attatch a pic of my filter and pump I can only see 1 banjo bolt. And it's ontop of the IP.

Comment

Working...
                              X