Aftermarket fuel filter & sediment / water trap assemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket fuel filter & sediment / water trap assemblies

I've had various issues with my Isuzu OEM sediment / water trap getting gummed up with yet identified 'tarry substance' which I have posted about previously. It got so gummed that I had to pull it all apart a couple of times in the last few years to clean and the non-return flaps are now 'stuffed' so that it doesn't work as a primer anymore.

I have also had intermittent issues with air leaks, which I assume come from the newer-style rubber plunger in the priming mechanism being attacked by biodiesel. I fitted a Facet-style 'clackety-clack' solid state electric fuel pump to prime and that works fine.

But I wanted a better solution and spent quite a bit of time trying to track down a CAV-style combined filter & sediment/water trap with an old-style piston primer. It seemed like no one makes them anymore and I sourced a secondhand one from a fellow forum member which I have just rebuilt with Viton seals. I will report back on how it goes when I put it in this weekend.

But in the meantime I have just found this very comprehensive diesel supplies place that sells new ones! They are a Delphi brand and exactly the same as the secondhand one I now have.

https://www.dieselsystemsaustralia.c...-l-r-flow.html

I thought they might be of interest to others.

There is also a vast array of other bits and pieces on this site so you can set these filter assemblies up with quick-connect fittings, or hose barb-to-banjo-bolt or whatever you like.

I think this will be a good resource for hard-to-find fittings in the future.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Re: Aftermarket fuel filter & sediment / water trap assemblies

I wonder if the piston pump type of primer on that filter can be replaced by the newer Black push plunger primer?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
      I wonder if the piston pump type of primer on that filter can be replaced by the newer Black push plunger primer?
      I think it is possible as the non-return part is inside the filter body. I could check the thread size and pitch.

That supplier also sells new piston assemblies for this type of filter head.
      3DB
      1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
        Why would you want to replace it Tony? It is fully serviceable and can be made new by replacing 2 Orings.
        BTW I am familiar with DBs filter, I sold it to him.
        Johnnojack
        4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
        Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

I have that same filter. No way would I consider replacing the pump primer with the diaphragm type. In my experience all the diaphragm types are stuffed within 2 years of BD use.

Comment

Well my rebuild work has stood up to an on-vehicle test. It is leak-free and the primer works, so I'm happy. Not sure how I'm going to mount it though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6629.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	94661

How is yours mounted, Qwarla?

JJ - how was it mounted on the old Jackaroo?

Qwarla - one other question: do you have any issues with bio dissolving the paint on the filters? Cade mentioned he had some where the paint peeled off on the post-filter side, which is a real concern.
            3DB

Comment

Originally posted by 3DB View Post
              How is yours mounted, Qwarla? Cade mentioned he had some where the paint peeled off on the post-filter side, which is a real concern.

After the diaphragm died in the OEM filter, I removed the unit. Got a small piece of angle iron and drilled that to fit the OEM holes on one side and the CAV filter along the other side I lost the filter light but that's not a problem.
              I had noticed some crud where it shouldn't be on one filter change, but it has never caused any issues.

One thing being mounted in the engine bay I never have any problems with filters blocking in cold weather.... not that we get much of that here.
              Before using this style of filter I did have a CAV type without the primer mounted behind the cab on the chassis rail. That did cause me a few issues one cold winter with gelled fuel.
              Qwarla
              Last edited by Qwarla; 24 November 2017, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Angle iron - perfect. Easy option.

I've been buying these MANN filters lately for the Merc (I think the might be one OEM for Merc) and now for this new filter and they all have this EN 14214 biodiesel-approved designation on them, so I'm hoping the paint on these ones might not be affected by biofuels....? Time will tell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MANN P917X Filter.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	94662
                3DB

Comment

Originally posted by 3DB View Post
                  this new filter and they all have this EN 14214 biodiesel-approved designation on them
                  It is only B10 ... but that is a start.

Comment

Working...
                  X