Pressing oil from acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressing oil from acorns

This may seem like an odd question, but we have 3 large oaks and have hundreds of thousands of acorns pile down on us every year.

We were curious if they could be pressed for oil to be used in biodiesel?

Anyone head of such a thing? Or am I a little crazy

Re: Pressing oil from acorns

You may like to search the internet for "oil content of acrons" or a similar phrase. This should tell you whether the oil content is high enough to justify the experiment. If it is, take your trucl load of acorns to an oilseed press and have them press the oil for you. I am sure that there will be some use for the meal (the solids remaining after oil extraction), which will offset the pressing costs and provide some income as well.
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 20 May 2006, 10:49 PM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I found a site that details the properties of acorn oil...

TABLE 4. ACORN OIL
      Species Quercus Quercus 5 other Olive Corn
      agrifolia ilex speciesa
      Specific 0.9170 0.9086 0.9100 0.914-.919 0.916-921
      gravity
      Refractive index 1.4709 1.4701 1.4627 1.466-1.468 1.470-1.474
      Saponification 192.3 189.05 191.45 187-196 187-196
      value
      Olieic acid% -- 57.05 58.31 83.5-84.4 19-49
      Palmatic acid% -- 12.40 11.43 6.9-9.4 8-12
      Linoleic acid% -- 30.50 37.50 4.0-4.6 34-62
      Flash point -- -- 360°C 343°C 393°C

Does all that mean anything to anyone?

Comment

mulgunnia,
        That is excellent information, but the numbers you need are %oil content of the acorn itself. Did that site indicate the melting point of Acorn Oil?
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz
          mulgunnia,
          That is excellent information, but the numbers you need are %oil content of the acorn itself. Did that site indicate the melting point of Acorn Oil?
          No, it have found some sites saying its similar to olive oil and others saying similar to penut.

Yeild seems to be about 5-30% depending on the tree. They are a pretty jucy looking nut. Tastes real bad

I have found a research paper comparing distilation of higher boiling methal esters is between 90 and 128 which it compares to penul oil being between 127 - 176.
          http://article.pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/p...le=v53-151.pdf

Not sure if that indicates boiling point.

Comment

Dear Friends:

This sacred valley was once blessed with millions of oak trees that provided tons of acorns for the native people. The Indians gave thanks for the oaks and their nutritious nuts, which also fattened deer, elk and antelope. Today, of course, many oaks have been cut down to make room for commercial agriculture and housing. About the only use we have for oak trees today is shade and firewood.

Yet, the great abundance of acorns this fall has caused me to wonder if we are overlooking a rich source of biodiesel fuel, available right here in Tehama County? According to a study on the "Uses of Acorns" (David Bainbridge: UC Riverside, 1986), these bountiful nuts are comparable to olives, corn and soybeans in their vegetable oil content. Although Bainbridge's study is focused on the edibility of acorns, it occurred to me that acorn oil could also provide biodiesel fuel that would power any car, truck or electrical generator which had a diesel engine modified to burn vegetable oil.

The good news is that California already has the processing equipment (used in the olive oil industry) which is necessary for grinding and expelling oil from the acorns. I understand that these machines sit idle out of season. We also have plenty of people out of work who could harvest the nuts. Maybe we could even meet people seeking work at the border, hand them 2 five-gallon buckets, and say "Thank God you are here. Have we got a job for you."

My guess is that gasoline will be $5 a gallon, or more, by the time Bush leaves office, his "Mission Accomplished!" Wouldn't it be nice if acorns could save us the way they saved the Indians? Mother Earth would be grateful too, since vegetable oil creates far less air-pollution than petroleum diesel fuel.

Thanks for your attention. If anyone has suggestions on the cultivation of oak trees, and harvesting acorns for fuel, please let me know. We could be growing a renewable, local source of biodiesel fuel and making money for a noble purpose. Wouldn't we all give thanks for an exit strategy that was good for the earth?

Guy Mount
            Sacramento River Valley
            Email: earthguy@earthlink.net

Comment

hello mulgunnia,
              I have been trying to find a permanent oil supply and came up with the acorn idea. Looks like you thought of it a little before me. I am wondering if you followed up on this idea or if you have any current thoughts on this subject. I have a rather huge quantity of large black oak trees spread out over 20 acres and I don't like depending on restaraunts for an oil supply.

Comment

No, never got to pressing them.

But from what I learnt they should produce a fair amount of oil - plus the remaining meal can be sold for animal fodder.

Comment

Gentlemen - are any of you anywhere near the US?
                  I am getting close to trying a couple of varieties, and although at the time it will be through "cottage industry" tools, I will be seeking funding for more serious research soon.
                  Any idea on drying vs. only unshelled use for griniding the acorns? I have access to Live Oak (white oak) and possibly, if I am lucky, Red Oak in central Texas.
                  ANy thoughts are appreciated

Comment

Oil from acorns is a good idea if you have the existing trees and do not need to produce millions of litres of fuel.

To grow oakes from scratch to harvest I think you could be looking at anything from 10 to 20 years. Volume of nuts per tree is probably an unknown because nobody has done a commercial harvest before.

Also, maybe you could apply farming practices to induce the trees to grow more - water and fertilizer, pruning/shaping - whatever it takes. Research orchard cultivation of nut tree species such as wallnut and pecan.

Harvesting need not be difficult. You could lay out shade cloth around the tree, out to the drip line. Once a day drop in and shake all the fallen nuts to a central point and shovel them into a bucket.
                    Slippery
                    Small steps taken one at a time.

Comment

Well - I am going for my fist batch today.
                      I will see what I can do to get as much as I can out of the acorns I have.
                      At this time, acorns are not all that available!
                      Will let you know any yield numbers I get along with any species information I have.

I should be able to get some Scarlet Oak nuts soon, hopefully enough to try a batch.

Comment

El Jefe,
                        You are lucky to have acorns this time of year! I am anxious to try pressing acorn oil but will have to wait 'till late Oct. to actually get some acorns. Looking forward to seeing what kind of results you get from yours.

Comment

Well, gents - I am sadly dissapointed.
                          The paper quoted above mentions that a 4% yield of oil was noted from white oak in Canada (Quercus alba). I was hoping that the species I have (Quercus fusiformis) acorns of (they are a little older and dry) would have a better yield. Alas, I have acheived Acorn flour!
                          And I am stuck. It is a little oily, I can see that it clumps together. I do not have access to a centrifuge, so I am at a loss as to how to separate the solids from the oil to measure out the yield. Water has crossed the mind, but I think it may just make a mess.
                          October will be a better target for any new experiments, and I will begin investigating how Peanut oil is extracted - as the peeled acorns are very like a peanut.
                          BTW - out of 9.5 oz of acorns, I got 4.0 oz of shells and residue and 5.5 oz of actual acorn nuts.

Comment

El Jefe,
                            Canola seed is around 35 - 42% oil by weight. Cold pressing can extract about 85 - 90% of that oil, leaving some in the meal. Solvent extraction can get the rest of the oil out of the Canola meal.

Starting with just 4% oil in the acorns will definately make it difficult to extract any of the oil without solvent extraction techniques.

I agree that water would not be the best additive to recover the oil from the meal (otherwise the commercial plants would be using it rather than Hexane.)

Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Trying one last thing, before moving to other potential sources.
                              Just an FYI - corn is one of the least effective crops used for oil at this time, with pecans being the most "oily" for availability in the US. Peanuts, which have a similar consistency as acorns are at arround the high end, better than sunflower.
                              Will try my last experiment until new acorns are available and keep you guys posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X