Oil wanted for our clockwise tour of Oz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil wanted for our clockwise tour of Oz

Hey all! This thread is a little old now, whats the update on suppliers for oil around the country? I am planning on taking a converted van around highway 1, so any stops along the way are appreciated!

Re: Members willing to share oil with travelling members

Hi i have travelled around oz on veggie oil all i can tell you that there is oil out there sometimes easy to find other times not so easy you will just have to go shop to shop be polite tell them what you are doing dont be greedy just ask if they would have any to spare even one or two drums would help they quite often have a regular picking it up so you dont wont to upset anybody so thats why i say one or two drums will help you may get more than that in some towns like Derby WA you may even pick up 1000 litres in one go try local tips quite often it can be found make sure you filter it on the go and get rid of the drums at the local tips

Comment

Hi moenoa,
      Welcome to the forum!!

I am not on highway 1, however a "small" detour to Paradise will result in all the well settled WVO you can load up.

Send me a PM when you get to Queensland if you are interested and we will see what can be arranged.

Comment

Hey Limoman,

Many thanks for your reply! Great advice indeed!
        Do you take the drums from them, or can you just filter it into your own tanks as you travel?

Hannah

Comment

Hi i always take the drums with me i filter and fill my tanks with as much oil as i can carry while staying in town take the empties to the tip if i am lucky enough i carry any surplus drums down the hallway of the bus when i get to the next use what i can it is a bit of a pain in the neck but you dont know if you are going to get oil at the next town so i take what i can get just carry them out that night use a few. I carry a plastic roll with me that you buy at Bunnings roll that out and reuse a few time just make sure you tie the last drums off so they dont slide around you have to keep the wife happy or have a trailer .
          do you have a vehicle yet and what sort is it have you been running on svo for a while or is this just an experiment

Comment

Hey Tilly,
            Not sure if my other message came through, but thanks for the kind offer. Will see if we can make a detour to check out your slice of paradise!

Hey Limoman,
            Many thanks for your response, and that sounds like a great system. No vehicle as of yet, currently searching for the right one. We are looking at troopys for the moment as a potential option to convert. We are beginners and so I guess this is an experiment, that we hope is successful! Any tips are always greatly appreciated!

Comment

Same as limoman, collect oil along the road and filter it as you go. You can either get filter bags, use those supermarket green or blue re-usable bags, or if you have a trailer, carry a centrifuge. You only need to carry 3-4 drums, if you are using filter bags, the plastic beer brewing drums hold the filter bags perfectly, which makes it much easier to filter oil.

Our bus carries over 1000lt oil oil and with the trailer, another 460lt, so we can go a long way between fueling. Have filters a few hundred litres from one pub/roadhouse the pile they had of oil was huge, they were happy for us to spend 2 days refueling.

Comment

Look forward to a very steep and possibly expensive learning curve. You have no vehicle yet, need to convert it and want to process oil on the road. With no experience with vege oil in the past you could come to a grinding halt in the middle of nowhere. Good luck.
                Johnnojack
                Last edited by Johnnojack; 12 January 2018, 02:26 PM.
                Johnnojack
                4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X