New kid on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kid on the block

0900 G'day folks, Just signed up, I'm 3/4 through setting up my LN106 hilux with a 2nd tank, pollack valve, pre-(2nd)filter heat exchanger & switchable electric heaters on injector lines. just gotta do the tricky bit of wiring the pollack valve up right! I/we've not long arrived here in Alice Springs & am looking for a source of VO? Any tips? I had a look on the linked map(bloody marvellous idea! well done!) but had no joy.... I must say it's nice to be here amongst like minded veg heads
    Dave

1800 well.... no joy with the pollack valve, I've tried 2 different switches now, both reputed to be up to the job but don't fly! Bugger! Anyone know which manufacturer/supplier the switch ID codes in the pollack info sheets refer to? Or just where I can get one'd do.
    Thanks Dave

Re: New kid on the block

Go Dave,
    Try this switch from Jaycar.
    It is a Double pole Changeover switch with on-on switching (no off position in thhe middle)
    Here is another, smaller switch which needs the leads to be soldered on.

Dick Smith may have similar switches, but Jaycar has these ones.

I hope Jaycar has them in The Alice so you can get going quickly.

Regards,
    Tony
    ps, personal opinion - ditch the injector line heaters.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Go Dave,
      Try this switch from Jaycar.
      It is a Double pole Changeover switch with on-on switching (no off position in thhe middle)
      Here is another, smaller switch which needs the leads to be soldered on.

Dick Smith may have similar switches, but Jaycar has these ones.

I hope Jaycar has them in The Alice so you can get going quickly.

Regards,
      Tony
      ps, personal opinion - ditch the injector line heaters.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Welcome aboard.

What is the configuration of the switches that you are having a problem with?

Scintex sell a 10A DPDT (On-On) Heavy Duty Toggle Switch

but the same switch should be readily available locally in Alice Springs.

There will be 6 connections on it.

AB
        CD
        EF

Attach your + supply to C
        Attach your - supply/earth to D

Join A and F
        Join B and E

Find the two supply lines that power your Pollak valve
        Attach them to A and F

This is assuming the centre pair of connections are the common and the top and bottom are where the power is switched to. You'll need to check with a multimeter first.

I also found Pollak spec sheet which shows the wiring diagram, different to my memory, so check first with a multimeter.

The way the valve works is that applying + and - to the Pollack will move it one way, then switching that over so it is - and + will move the valve to the other ports.

It's been a while since I wired up a Pollak, but once you get your head around what you're trying to achieve, it's all become marginally clearer!!

Hope this helps.

Tim
        Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
        12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
        Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
        Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
        Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

whoa, heavy duty switch-- whaaaa..
          I am using (and have always used) a miniature toggle switch rated at some veryvery small current 100ma? nothing like 10amps!!!!! jeeze.

if your switch is failing.. there should be some wiring misconfiguration along the way.
          is it failing? or is it just not working?

Tims instruction should be able to be applied to any 'standard' DPDT switch.

David.

Comment

Dave, you might want to keep your eye out for a local bloke named Scotty who runs the GreaseMonkey business in town. A pretty interesting bloke (and colourful) who would probably be interested in meeting you.

He helped me out with some oil during my travels, but he might be happy to talk Alice Spring veg oil with you. The popular pizza shop 'over the other side of the river' gave me his contact details.... they might be happy to share with you as well.

Comment

Tim,I think you may have the connections for the Pollak incorrect, I believe it should be connected to A and B or E and F, not A and F, (which you have connected together).

Regards,

Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

G'day again (3rd time I've tried 2 post this), Thunderbirds are go! Am now on diesel via the pollak valve, wired with A crossed 2 F, B crossed 2 E & the commons C&D to the valve, so that the valve is always powered & just the polarity is changed. Thanks guys. Just gotta track down a few o-rings N rubber bits for the old VO fuel filter & get some juice!

Comment

Just saw that tip, thanks, that pizza place is at the end of the street! I'll drop in. Thanks again

Comment

G'day guys, done a few thousand K's on the golden drop now courtesy of Scotty at Greasemonkeys. he's got a pallet of new out of date oil hes flogging off for $5 for 20L at the moment. Great for me who had no filtering gear up there & was going through an engine filter about every 50L tank on unfiltered oil from him. Anyway, now heading home to The Tweed valley via SA & Vic so looking for travelin' oil. I've just looked at the map of people with VO stocks but can't figure out how to call & arrange a good time etc. any tips?

Comment

dave,

Send a PM (personal message) to the users who you are after and they will usually reply within a week or so - depending on how active they are on the forum.

TO send a PM make sure you are logged in (top right hand corner) and then click on their username - you will get a drop down offering various options

Craig
                      Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
                      210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
                      Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

As Craig says, refer back to the thread and look for the user name.

The map only shows part of the details to protect the privacy of the list users.

The original thread is at http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...g_members.html

Tim
                        Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                        12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                        Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                        Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                        Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

thanx guys!
                          i'll do that
                          cheers ...

Comment

Gdey Kids, been a while I know, sorry about that but when the goings good...... KEEEP GOING!!!!!! but allas the goings been sporadic... bummer man....... I'm getting this situation where i run fine on VO but then it craps out. sometimes its 5 minutes & the motor seems to be fuel starved other times it'll go half an hour/ an hour & be all good but invariably I get this runnin out of fuel feeling. I'm wonderin is it my gal fuel tank causing some kinda glug reaction with the VO or is it my cheap heat exchanger not doin its job right N leavin my VO 2 thick to go through the injectors? Its a steel HE from Snotta VO supplies (spiral in a can, h2o one side & VO the other). Have changed filter a dozen times to no effect, doesn't seem to be the issue, particularly since running on virgin oil for the last few tanks.... any suggestions or experience with this HE or Gal tanks?
                            Ta
                            GoDave
                            Biofuels Forum Newbie
                            Last edited by GoDave; 29 November 2012, 09:06 AM.

Comment

David

What happens when you pull over ? Does the engine idle or concise out.
                              Some details about you setup would be relevant.

Do you have a return to tank setup , what size hoses , what type of filter are you using , do you have a pusher pump from the tank , etc etc.

Take the fuel return line off and see if there is oil coming out while the engine is running.
                              Maybe hook up a bottle of oil for fuel with the return feeding back into it at the engine. Like an under bonnet fuel tank. That way you eliminate that fuel lines and tanks.

Michael.
                              97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                              2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                              2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                              2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                              2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                              Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Working...
                              X