Future Fuels Distribution in Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Fuels Distribution in Sydney

Today I called Future Fuels in Vic, who I was told are supplying the stations which are rumoured to be popping up all over Sydney with B50, from their new plant in Moama.
    I was told that I’d have to speak to their Sydney Depot and after being on hold for a while, a phone number was found for them. After many hours of trying, I eventually got through and I asked the simple question: Where are the stations in Sydney that you are supplying?
    This is apparently not such an easy question. Apparently there are 19 stations all over metro Sydney that have been selling B50 for about 6 moths now! However, obtaining a list of them for me to publish seemed like I was asking a commercial secret! Eventually, someone tried to read me a list of suburbs, but I suggested that perhaps they could email me the proper locations. They had to get all my details, ask why I wanted the information get my website address so they could check me out, ask their boss and then email me (hopefully).

So, why do we need a section for industry representation? Is it not blindingly obvious from the above?
    I’ll keep pursuing this issue with Future Fuels until I can get some proper answers. I must say it does concern me greatly that they should be so secretive about this, what have they to hide? Surely the fuel meets spec? They should be proudly advertising it.

Hopefully I will get an answer soon, but wouldn’t it be nice if members of the industry could do this in here themselves? It is free and open to anyone who wants to post…
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Future Fuels Distribution in Sydney

Not that it would bother me but do they have an obligation to announce blends?
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

The question of labelling at the bowser was indeed going to be my next question to them, but honestly, it was so difficult just finding out where the bowsers were!
      I belive that they are required to label the blend, but I've heard of some folk only noticing the label after they fill up. I'd really like to find out more about these guys. I'm very happy that we've got biodiesel (possibly) now widely available in Sydney, it is after all what I've dreamed of, however, I'd like to be sure of what I'm getting and as consumers, we all need to be. I'm really hoping that they'll come through and be a bit more open with us all.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Robert,

if you can give me their distributor number, I can give it a go at getting some info.

Andreas

Comment

Sure, if you can break open this great secret, we'd all love to hear about it!

Future Fuels head office can be phoned on (03) 548 07911 and their Sydney Depot can be called on (02) 9724 4907.

I was told today when I chased them up that they have had a look over my websites (sydneybiodiesel and here) and their director wanted to call me before giving me the list. I still don't know why we consumers should be treated with suspicion like this - why not just tell us where they are selling? I really don't understand this . He was meant to call me today, but did not, so maybe if others of you can hassle them to email me the list, I'll post it up, if they can be nagged into telling us.

You'd think they'd be grateful for the free publicity!
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

Robert,

I rang the distributer for Future Fuel in Sydney through Volume Plus Service Stations.

I rang two stations that are sort of convinient to me

Forestville 702 Warringah Rd 2087 (02) 9451 0133 - they sell B50 but said to ring back later if I want more info.

Lewisham 764 Parramatta Rd 2049 (02) 9569 3311 - they sell B50 but do not know much about it.

Then I rang Future Fuels in Victoria and they told me that they are the manufacture and produce to the Australian Standard and they recommend that I only us B50 in the car.

So I will go to Lewisham or Forrestville on the weekend and check them out and report back.

Andreas

Comment

Thanks for that, so we now know of at least 2 of them! Only 17 to go!
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

OK, this morning Future Fuels deemed it OK to tell me that Volume Plus is their retailer on all sites in Sydney and their locations can simply be found on their website! www.volumeplus.com.au
                I wish I had known this earlier, as it would have saved everyone loads of hassle. From my count, there are actually 21 stations listed, not 19 as I was previously told. The locations are below:

BERKELY VALE - Lot 4 Tumbi Creek Road
                CHESTER HILL - Cnr. Waldron & Campbell Road 2162
                FAIRFIELD - 32 Court Road NSW 2165
                FORESTVILLE - 702 Waringah Road 2087
                GUILDFORD - 295 Woodville Road 2161
                INGLEBURN - 58 Stennett Road 2565
                LEWISHAM - Cnr. Parramatta Rd & Carrington St. 2049
                LIVERPOOL - Cnr. Terminus & Carey St. 2170
                LONG JETTY - 447 The Entrance Road
                MASCOT* - 42 Ricketty St.
                MILPERRA - 106 Milperra Road Revesby
                MINTO - 1 Ben Lomond Road 2566
                RUSE - 5 Acacia Ave
                SOUTH HURTSVILLE - 822 King Georges Road 2221
                SOUTH STRATHFIELD - 600 Hume Highway
                ST. ANDREW - 72 Stranraer Road 2566
                VINEYARD - Lot 3 Windsor Road 2765
                WANDANIAN - D2720 Princess Highway 2540
                WARRAWONG - 42-46 King St. 2502
                WENTWORTHVILLE - 431 Great Western Highway 2145
                WOOLOOWARE - Lot 2 Captain Cook Drive 2230

* Opening Soon.

Now, what remains to be seen is how biodiesel is being sold there, how is it being labeled (on the front sign, just on the bowser etc), is there any education available to the consumer etc. I will try and get myself to one of these stations soon to find out this sort of thing, but if anyone else has any reports as well, that would be nice.

There are also possibly many other stations selling B50 as well, via another distributor called Diamond Fuels. I will try to contact them next and post up any info I can get.
                Robert
                Administrator
                Last edited by Robert; 5 May 2006, 10:51 AM.
                Robert.
                Site Admin.

Comment

I called in at the Milperra/Revesby Volumeplus (one of the servo's listed above) on my way home from work tonight. Their diesel bowsers had no signage indicating any biodiesel content (but one of the petrol bowsers said E10 though). I went inside the shop and asked the guy behind the counter if he knew if the diesel had any biodiesel content. He looked totally blank and said he had no idea. He seemed like he may have been the proprietor and was happy to talk about where he got his supplies. He showed me the delivery docket for todays shipment and it was from Caltex, but he said it could come from anywhere and tomorrow it may be Mobil. He had never heard of Future Fuels.

Comment

Hmm, sinister. This obviously warrants more investigation. I'll try to get to another one of these stations and see if I get the same thing there.
                    Thanks for your efforts geewizztoo. If anyone else goes past a volume plus servo, could you please do the same?
                    Robert.
                    Site Admin.

Comment

Good Morning

I went to the Volumne Plus Forestville 702 Warringah Rd 2087 (02) 9451 0133 Station yesterday. There is a sign ( laminated A4 size on the bowser that says that the fuel is a BD blend and is manufactured to Standard with reference to the standad, no mention of the %. The staff at the counter advised that it is B50 but that he does not know much more as he only mans the cash register.

So I filled up half a tank and a Jerry can and had a look at home. Colour is same as ABGs BD smells a bit more like canola oil and the consitancy is also very similar to ABGs BD.

The car drives the same with no change in sound or performance.

Price at Forestvill was 138.9 c/L

Then I went this morning to Lewisham 764 Parramatta Rd 2049 (02) 9569 3311 - and found the same deal as in Forestville.

Price at Lewisham was 139.9 c/L

On both stations the pumps were clean and looked well maintained. They did not have the usual diesel mess and smell that one finds at other stations.

I will write to Future Fuels to find out more about their process.

Comment

I purposely let my tank of fossil diesel run really low knowing that I would be passing through Forestville today, and it was exactly as you all have suggested - Biodiesel Blend at the pump from Volume Plus! I spoke briefly to the guy at the counter. I thought he could have been more excited about the whole thing but all he basically said was "it's a low Sulphur blend" and not much else. He was quite indifferent about the whole thing. On the other hand I was pretty excited as this was the first taste my car has ever had of BD. I told him that he would be sure to get a good demand for it once word gets out. Thanks Robert and everyone for getting the information out there so we can get more people onto the product.
                        Glenn

Comment

OK people, just an update on the complete lack of progress that is getting made on getting any (formal or informal) answers out of Future Fuels. Additionally, there is another sub-distributor called Diamond Fuels, who is supplying to other servos (not volume plus). I called him 2 weeks ago and he said he could not tell me where he was supplying to at that moment, but would call me back. He never did, so I chased him again today, but he refused to tell me anything. He said that Future Fuels had a strategy and I would have to talk to them, despite the fact that they'd already refused to talk to me before. Despite me mentioning specific servos that I know him to be supplying (like Zoom at Milperra), he was evasive and would only tell me that Volume Plus had it and I’d have to talk to Future Fuels.

Great strategy eh?

Anyway, I sighed and called FF again. Asked the same questions, was told that the boss there “Eddy” would have to speak to me (who to this date has never returned a single one of my calls). I stressed again that I would have to report my complete lack of confidence as a consumer in what they were doing and also stressed that I would be addressing the Alternate Motor Show with information based on their responses, but I’m not sure if that made any impact. I called their plant in Vic as well and explained my frustration to them there. The lady I spoke to at least seemed to understand my frustration and asked me to email her.

The text below is a cut & paste from the email I sent. Let’s see what comes back. I really hate having to air all this “dirty laundry” here on line, but hopefully if the players in the Australian Biodiesel Industry can clean up their act a little, we consumers would not be left in the lurch like this. Let’s hope things improve from here.

Thanks for your time this morning. As I said on the phone, I've been seeking for some time now to know where people can buy biodiesel in Sydney. I don't see how this should be such a secret, but unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting any answers. If you could please pass this on, I'd appreciate it.

From the private research that my users have done, it has been discovered that some of the Volume Plus stations did not sell biodiesel, or if they did, they only sold it sometimes and could give no real information on it. I've been told by your Sydney office that there are 19 stations, yet there are 21 listed. So which ones are they? Do they always stock biodiesel, is it clearly marked, is there any consumer information about it? I have also had some good reports about some of the stations having B50 and there being a small label on the pump, although there was little or no information available about it at the point of sale.

While I am very happy that Future Fuels are making it available retail, I am very unsure about the way they seem to be going about it. Additionally, I have tried to contact Diamond Fuels, who will not tell me either! I know of at least 2, possibly 3 (not volume plus) service stations that my users have "uncovered", but still they will not tell me.

Why is this a commercial secret?

When I give my talk tomorrow at the motor show, if I can get no better answers, I will have to tell the people of Sydney that the Volume Plus retail outlets are an unknown quantity, the distributor who is supplying them is secretive and shady and I can get no information from them about the availability, let alone any of the other critical questions, such as consumer info, quality etc. As Future Fuels are not honest and transparent to the consumers about what they are doing, I can only recommend that consumers beware of them. I would not like to do this, but I am not being left many other options.

Lastly, it does concern me greatly that the potentially good name of biodiesel might be damaged through the clandestine strategy that Future Fuels and Diamond Fuels seem to be taking. I often speak with some of Sydney's bigger players in the media (who are also unaware of Volume Plus's biodiesel). I have not yet mentioned this to them, as I was waiting for something more positive, but if no one will return my calls, or give me real info, then I will have to start down this path. I am sure that the media (not to mention Fair Trading etc) would not be happy to discover biodiesel being slyly slipped into the market in this manner. I would hate to see another ethanol debacle happen, so please help me prevent this happening by talking to me and actually being honest about what you are doing! I am trying to help you here, so I don't understand why you would ignore me!
                          I wonder if I will get a response (hey Eddie, if you read it here, please feel free to join up and answer - it's free you know)
                          Robert.
                          Site Admin.

Comment

Slightly more positive news:

Eddy phoned me this afternoon and explained some things to me. Firstly, they are not producing sufficient volumes to satisfy a consistent blend at all stations. What this means is that some stations might stock B50, others B30 and others even less, or no bioidiesel. To complicate matters more, even if we could have a list of which stations have which blends, they would change all the time, as the blend levels are not consistently maintained, as the distribution is spread around "as it goes".
                            They understood the need for a list, or to better inform the consumer and promised to work on this. I will be following up with them and reporting as I can.
                            Robert.
                            Site Admin.

Comment

Filled up at Volume Plus at Wentworthville. Attendant had no idea of percentage biodiesel in fuel. Visible golden colour so could have been somewhere between B30 and B50. Seems very much pot luck. No signage. Attendant not very talkative as the (diesel) customer behind me yelled out "Where do you get your f*****g fuel?". I didn't hang around to find out how they resolved their differences.

Cheers

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X