terrano dying after a few k's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terrano dying after a few k's

Hi all just been trying to get my terrano td27t back on the road after a few months being parked. The old girl startswith some cranking and when I drive it its ok for a k or 2 then she dies....I get out pump the filter primer a few times and we are off again. At first I suspected bad svo mix still in tank so I added 50 litres of diesel....started ok drove off and a few k's it stopped again......changed the fuel filter , changed a clear plastic prefilter I have before oem filter and also checked to see if the mini filter was clogged up on the pump......found out no mini filter was there, so back to drawing board. Thinking it could be an air leak so I trimmed off the ends of the fuel lines and refitted....no joy. Have heard about fitting clear fuel line and looking for bubbles but at 3.30 on sunday couldn't find any at supercheap or repco. Anyone have any ideas on what I could try??? Oh I cracked the injectors with motor idling as well
    Last edited by artrix; 10 December 2017, 11:25 PM.

Re: terrano dying after a few k's

You should be able to get clear plastic hose at all fine hardware stores.

Be aware that bubbles in the output of your fuel filter hose does not necessarily mean an air leak.
    It could also be a clogged fuel filter or blocked fuel line prior to the fuel filter

Comment

Do you mean plain clear tubing .......Ithought it would not go well with fuel..
      The fuel filter is brand new....could I use compressed air on the fuel in line prior to filter to confirm no tank to engine bay blockages?
      Last edited by artrix; 10 December 2017, 09:23 PM.

Comment

As I recall, when I wanted clear plastic hose on the output of of my fuel filter I just used clear plastic hose from the hardware. Maybe it was the clear fuel line with the thread matrix through it- Now that you mention it, I do not remember.

I would blow back through the line to the fuel tank to see what happens, these things can be a pain in the neck

Comment

Originally posted by artrix View Post
          Do you mean plain clear tubing .......Ithought it would not go well with fuel..
          The fuel filter is brand new....could I use compressed air on the fuel in line prior to filter to confirm no tank to engine bay blockages?
          I have used clear plastic tubing on my 300D as return line hose. It worked well on WVO for a year then was so hard that it snapped where vibration caused the hose to move. Use it while testing and change back to rubber fuel line once the issues are fixed. I have used Nylon air line (Translucent) in the return line for many years. It is much more heavy duty and I have never had it crack or leak on me. It can stand having a hose clamp tighten rubber fuel hose onto it. Fuel hose size = ID, Airline pipe size = OD, so for 8mm fuel hose, use some 8mm air line as an air indication window. Not clear, but will show air in fuel line.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

It may be time to get a couple of litres of diesel and run hoses from the diesel can to the fuel pump and take the return line to the diesel can. Use long hoses and a passenger to hold the hoses in the diesel can.
            Start it up, drive it and ensure that the engine bay components of the fuel system are OK for more than a few k's.
            Then check the fuel lines and hoses to the tank (flow and return lines), also check the tank fuel strainer (if fitted).
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

good idea Tony cheers

Comment

Had a problem like this on my canter truck, tried everything including re plumbing, putting air through the system draining the tank and nothing worked. Turns out the new main fuel filter was a dud and once changed again, everything was fine. Have come across a couple of dud fuel filters over the last couple of years, as they all seem to come from china, their quality control may not be very good.

Comment

Alga Ihad thought about that too

Comment

Artrix, if you want some clear hose in your system, try 12mm food grade nylon hose. Have that in all my vehicles, it replaces the 8-10mm metal fuel lines from tank to as close to the engine as possible and always have a push pump in the system. Have found having that extra pump brings performance back to dino standards, you really notice the difference in a turbo engine. Many times in the sahara have forgotten to switch the pump on when starting somewhere and wondering why it didn't have grunt it normally has. Switch the pump on and off she goes.

I'd put a cheap ebay push pump near the tank and 12mm lines, so you will have a fool proof pumping method and be able to see if the fuel is coming through properly.

My new series 80 1hdt cruiser has the push pump wired to the ignition, as it drives both main and sub tanks. Have a switch under the bonnet to turn it off when fast purging, makes life much easier.

Hope you work it out

Comment

I had the same problem, It is the priming pump which is letting air into the system. I replaced the filter and put an electric inline pump so when I needed to prime it I could

Comment

Originally posted by bitsathis1 View Post
                        I had the same problem, It is the priming pump which is letting air into the system. I replaced the filter and put an electric inline pump so when I needed to prime it I could
                        Thanks all for your input its given me some new directions to follow, Bitsathis could elaborate on the type of pump you fitted and what did you replace the standard filter with?

Comment

I had a terrano for a couple of yrs. I remember reading they were prone to fuel lines corroding. Fuel hose is pretty cheap, run a new fuel hose from the tank [ i think you get at it under passenger seat or a cover in the back somewhere] to the engine

Comment

Fitted clear lines replaced primer pump and filter with one off another car.....no change drive for a couple of k's then it dies , Ican crank it for 30 seconds and it coughs and splutters and starts or i can get out and pump the primer. Starting to feel like its the injector pump thats the issue, sad as its not worth spending any more bigbucks on the old girl. Will try clear hose from injector return line but im not feeling confident. The bloody thing will sit and idle perfectly for an hour but if driving you get 5 minutes then its over

Comment

Don't scrap it yet, I don't think it is the IP. Sounds like a restriction in the delivery from the tank causing it to suck in air somewhere when using higher amounts of fuel. Time for bypassing tank altogether, tie a Jerry to the bullbar or put in passenger footwell. Take a hose from jerry directly to the ip thru a small inline filter. Leave return alone for purposes of the test. Report back when you have done this.
                              Edit
                              I now see Tony has already suggested this.
                              Johnnojack
                              Last edited by Johnnojack; 12 December 2017, 02:48 PM.
                              Johnnojack
                              4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                              Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X