Outstanding pre-filter performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outstanding pre-filter performance

I knew I had some crud in the tank of my Mercedes and based on this it might be time to pull the tank and clean it.

https://instagram.com/p/BiIzfutFfE7/
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Re: Outstanding pre-filter performance

It looks like there is no problem in the tank if that is all it caught in "how long?"
    The correct prefilter for the Mercedes diesels (that you have used) is very strong and has done a sterling job in your case.
    I have tried the cheap paper element pre-filters and they collapse with far less crud, and sometimes tear, allowing the crud into the fuel pump. Fortunately, the main filter will catch it before it gets to the IP.

Put a new OEM prefilter on it and check it often.
    I blow the crud out of mine with compressed air, then rinse with stale petrol to clean it up. Allow to dry, ten put in ziplok bag and put it back into the car for roadside filter changes. The Ziploc bag is for the used filter, to prevent oil staining of the car interior.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

That particular filter has been on the car for 5 months. I doubt the car has travelled more than 1000km in that time.

I change the main filter once a year and carry a spare of each just in case.

I've had my eye on that one for a while and thought I'd see how far I could push it before changing.

The car never had one on when I bought it and I'm surprised I hadn't suffered main filter blockage prior to installing one.

A good investment at <$5 each.
      3DB
      1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
      1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
      1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
      @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
      @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Even better when you change and clean them, ready for reinstallation!
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
          It looks like there is no problem in the tank if that is all it caught in "how long?"
          The correct prefilter for the Mercedes diesels (that you have used) is very strong and has done a sterling job in your case.
          I have tried the cheap paper element pre-filters and they collapse with far less crud, and sometimes tear, allowing the crud into the fuel pump. Fortunately, the main filter will catch it before it gets to the IP.

Put a new OEM prefilter on it and check it often.
          I blow the crud out of mine with compressed air, then rinse with stale petrol to clean it up. Allow to dry, ten put in ziplok bag and put it back into the car for roadside filter changes. The Ziploc bag is for the used filter, to prevent oil staining of the car interior.
          My experience is that some filters, particularly the cheap paper ones, clog with SVO even if it's clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mark View Post
            My experience is that some filters, particularly the cheap paper ones, clog with SVO even if it's clean.
            Mark, I have found that cheap filters, of any variety, are just not worth the purchase price, or the potential costs.
            There have been instances of filters, where the adhesive used in assembly of the element has dissolved in biodiesel or other fuels and large particles then found their way into the IP.
            More likely, the filter just blocks up and leaves you stranded.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
            X