oil/petrol blend question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil/petrol blend question

Hi I had an old nissan 2.7 turbo that ran like a charm on vege oil but it died and I found another car of the same model but it unlike the original doesn't seem to like vege oil as much. I used to mix 2litres of petrol to 20 litres of oil in the old car and I am thinking of changing blends for new car to 3 or even 4 litres of petrol to 20 litres of vege oil as I have found it struggling with pushing the original blend. Any opinions regards this idea? is adding 3 or 4 litres of petrol to the 20 litres of oil going to cause any long term issues...cheers. Also as a means to lower viscousity is a litre of petrol better than a litre of diesel
    Last edited by artrix; 5 December 2017, 11:19 AM.

Re: oil/petrol blend question

It may have a blocked filter or air leak.

Comment

No checked all than I added some diesel and it ran sweet...just think this car likes it a bit thinner than the old one

Comment

There have been many discussions over the years regarding blending with petrol or dino, everyone seems to have their own idea's and experiences. Personally, use dino/bd for thinning vo, seen to many problems over time using petrol, including blockages and failed engines.

Diesels were originally designed to run on peanut and other seed oils, it was only when fossil fuels became very cheap and accessible, that they changed to diesel. Petrol is designed for combustion engines, not compression engines, using dino as a thinner gets much better results and may save your engine from an early grave, or malfunction.

If you use a two tank system and use dino as a thinner, if you have a fuel problem, you can switch to dino. If you are thinning with petrol on a single tank, you are stuck, but if using dino and a two tank system, you just switch tanks and continue. There have been many times when had to run on the starter tank, but I travel a real lot, so take probably more precautions than most.

Comment

The issues that I suspect will limit your blend are:
          1. Vapour lock - With too much petrol on the fuel, you will have difficulty with hot starting. The petrol vapourises in the injectors, lines and IP, meaning that you need to crank the engine more to compress and condense the petrol so it can be injected.
          2. Lubrication - Is this a rotary IP? If so, lubrication of the IP internals is done by the fuel, which if vapour lock is present may mean zero lubrication of the IP.

The fact that your engine will not continue to run with a looped return leads me to suspect that you have an air leak in the fuel system and the air is unable to be expelled to the tank, resulting in a build up of air, causing fuel starvation. This could be made worse by a fuel restriction upstream of the air leak.
          I recommend that you use transparent hose in the looped return, to ensure that air is not present, at least until you have it sorted.
          The fault will be a simple one. The hard part is finding the location of the fault.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks for replies I must admit tony your response has left me scratching my head a bit, you obviously have a lot more knowledge about using svo than I do

Comment

Originally posted by artrix View Post
              Thanks for replies I must admit tony your response has left me scratching my head a bit, you obviously have a lot more knowledge about using svo than I do

I have made a lot of mistakes in the past 17 years using veggie oil and since joining this forum I have learned a lot more from the contributors here.
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
              X