X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to clean dirty oil containers

gidday everyone,
    long time reader but first posting.
    now, i have a few plastic jerry cans that had used veg in them.
    whats the best way to remove the dark coloured sludge in the bottom.
    thought of diesel but this may take some litres .
    any other liquids that may disolve this stuff ???
    thanks heaps,

Re: how to clean dirty oil containers

I would stay away from using diesel. It is vegi, so clean it much the same way as a well used greasy fry pan.
    Some cheap dish washing detergent and some water, then shake the crap outa them.

If you make bio, or know someone that does, get some of their byproduct and use that.
    I have used it to wash out open top buckets. Bit of a rub with a rag. Might take a couple of wash cycles, but they come out squeaky clean.

Comment

Originally posted by shanee64 View Post
      gidday everyone,
      long time reader but first posting.
      now, i have a few plastic jerry cans that had used veg in them.
      whats the best way to remove the dark coloured sludge in the bottom.
      thought of diesel but this may take some litres .
      any other liquids that may disolve this stuff ???
      thanks heaps,
      I use misfuel (petrol / diesel mix that some fool had to get taken out of his diesel tank). I put about 500mL of it into the container, put the lid on and agitate a lot to loosen it all. I open and tilt the container to see how it is going and shake more if necessary.
      For really stubborn deposits, I add more misfuel and a handful of blue metal (granite chips used in road making). Then I continue shaking, looking, etc until it is clean or I think I could get another drum easier. I pour the misfuel / granite/ sediment thru a strainer and into the oil settling drum. I recover the granite for future difficult deposit removal.
      The misfuel goes into the oil settling / filtration system and is usually only half a litre in >400L, so not making much of an impact on the viscosity, etc.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

If it is particularly stubborn, I have been known to stick the nozzle of the guerney in there to loosen it all up. then chemically disolve it with glycerine as suggested. Dont use caustic (potassium or sodium hydroxide) as it will ruin the plastic. I use cut off juice bottles to act as a little funnel when I pour my caustic into my meth when making bio, they rarely last longer than a few months, then fritter away. I have had some success with spray degreaser too.

Comment

I use glycerine and very hot water direct from the solar HWS, tablespoon of glycerine, about a litre of hot water, put lid back on and shake like mad. Rinse. Best to clean containers as soon as they have been emptied. If left for weeks the oil dries on it takes a lot more shifting.
          Johnnojack
          4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
          Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

thanks everyone for info ..
            i will have to remember the blue metal trick .

Comment

Originally posted by shanee64 View Post
              thanks everyone for info ..
              i will have to remember the blue metal trick .
              It's a bit like the camping trick to clean your frying pan. Go down the waterhole/creek/beach, use sand as a scourer and rinse when done.

Blue metal with it's jagged edges will work much better than river stones.

Comment

You can also try a splash of methanol if you have some. I've used that to clean the 'tarry substance' off the bottom of my cubies. It is the only thing that consistently works for me without scrubbing.
                3DB
                1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
                1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
                1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
                @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
                @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
                  If it is particularly stubborn, I have been known to stick the nozzle of the guerney in there to loosen it all up. then chemically disolve it with glycerine as suggested. Dont use caustic (potassium or sodium hydroxide) as it will ruin the plastic. I use cut off juice bottles to act as a little funnel when I pour my caustic into my meth when making bio, they rarely last longer than a few months, then fritter away. I have had some success with spray degreaser too.
                  Caustic won't ruin the plastic. What I do is tip the drum on its side on the bonnet of the car, put the hose on jet stream and squirt as much out of it as you can. Then tip a bit of caustic in, fill it to the brim and let it soak overnight. Tip it out and it'll be squeaky clean

Comment

Working...
                  X