My New Oil Strainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Oil Strainer

After a full service of a Kubota Digger my son and I purchased I had a used suction filter from the hydraulic system. It is made of pleated stainless steel mesh which is very very fine. I decided to try it as a filter to separate the crumbs etc from raw oil. It works so well you can't even see the particles left in the strained oil. Yet it never even looked like blocking. It is not a substitute for the normal settling and fine filtering but it is a good start. Most of the bits it filters out just drop off the filter into the bucket when you stop the pump, reversing the flow shifts a bit more. If it does block up eventually it should stand up to cleaning, even using caustic being stainless. See PhotoClick image for larger version

Name:	ssfilter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	94823
    Size is about 100mm diam
    Johnnojack
    Last edited by Johnnojack; 1 October 2014, 12:02 AM.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Re: My New Oil Strainer

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
    After a full service of a Kubota Digger my son and I purchased I had a used suction filter from the hydraulic system. It is made of pleated stainless steel mesh which is very very fine. I decided to try it as a filter to separate the crumbs etc from raw oil. It works so well you can't even see the particles left in the strained oil. Yet it never even looked like blocking. It is not a substitute for the normal settling and fine filtering but it is a good start. Most of the bits it filters out just drop off the filter into the bucket when you stop the pump, reversing the flow shifts a bit more. If it does block up eventually it should stand up to cleaning, even using caustic being stainless. See Photo
    Size is about 100mm diam
    That certainly looks the part.
    Do you have the cost of the replacement one I assume that you installed on the digger?
    A part number would also be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

perfect score and functional too, will be chasing the waste bin at a Kubota store near me
      cheers stuart
      just keep it simple

Comment

Tony I don't have the part number as the box has long gone but it cost around $60.00 A bit much at the time but as we had no history of it being changed we decided to get a new one. After not having the correct tool to get it out as it is mounted inside the oil tank we finally borrowed the correct tool and removed it. I was a bit stunned to find that the old one was indistinguishable from the new one apart from it being wet with oil. Anyway we changed it and I'm glad I kept the old one as it may prove to be worth the money in the long run. I need to remind myself occasionally of the money I'm saving when I see them all lining up for 2km when 'On the Run' opens a new servo and sells juice for a dollar a litre for 2 hours. Blimey! who'd pay that much for fuel?
        Johnnojack
        4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
        Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

JJ,
          Thanks for that.
          I will try to get a price / part number online.
          Was it in the hydraulic oil tank?

Regards,
          Tony

Update:
          I found this http://www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au%2...Zc2uayIsnLSWgA
          On page 90 are some oil strainers rated to remove 50% of particles greater than 159 micron.
          Part number P169012 and P169013 look to be useful as pick - up strainers.

Have fun,
          Tony
          Tony From West Oz
          Vice Chairperson of WARFA
          Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 5 October 2014, 01:49 AM.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Yes in the tank. Your link didn't work for me but I did find some on Donaldsons site by Googling Hydraulic suction strainers.
            As for diving into a Kubota dealers skip bin every weekend it could take a while as the service schedule is to change every 1000hrs. Could be better to talk to the service guy and offer a few beers for when he gets one for you.
            Johnnojack

Comment

Working...
            X