This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40,000 kms Without Petrol Stations

In March the Green Way Up boys will be taking off on their expedition to drive from the bottom of Australia to the top of Europe without filling up at a petrol station. They will use a portable biodiesel processor to make their fuel.

You can find more information on their website or by joining their facebook page.

The team will be making a 6 part documentary from their adventure - here is a quick handy-cam flavoured version.. YouTube - TheGreenWayUp's Channel

Bob is the team engineer and the portable processor designer - he'd love any feedback and would happily answer questions.. bob@thegreenwayup.com

Re: 40,000 kms Without Petrol Stations

Good luck fellas!!!

Doing this trip on 100% veggie oil, without the methanol and caustic needed for the BioD processing, is a dream of mine that is unlikely to be fulfilled, so I will follow your exploits with interests.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Young guys and adventure, I also wish them luck, they'll need it.

Some quick sums show that 40,000 km in a ute (newish from the photo) will require about 4,000 litres of Bio. They will need ~800 litres of Meth for this. Where are they goin to get it in the middle northern India, Pakistan etc?? If the thing on the ute in the photo is the processor, it looks like it only does 20-40 litre batches at best.

Where do they get the water for washing the bio? What are they going to do with the waste water and glyc? How are they going to dry the bio?

The amount of time to make 4000 litres of bio with a small processor, tells me these guys do not have a clue with the realities of biodiesel, unless they plan on making very ordinary, unwashed fuel.

If they are lucky they will have major problems before they get past northern Queensland.

Bill

Comment

I like that idea. Go out rent a brand new common rail turbo Hilux. Fill it up with bio then go out thrash it doing some circle work.

That proves it can run on bio and will be all good for a 40,000k trip.
        I wish i had thought of this testing method. It looks like so much fun.

Comment

In the last couple of hours I have had a look at the different videos on youtube.

The boys stole the oil from the back of restaurants, hired a ute, I assume they ran it on the bio they made without telling the hire company. They made a batch of bio without washing it properly, and probably did not know to dry it. I wonder what they used as a power source to heat the oil and run the pumps, my bet is they plugged into 240v power. Have they checked that they can get 240v power where they are going??

They also tried to drink the bio. If this had been hardly washed then the guy who drank it was lucky not to poison himself.

What vehicle are they intending to use if they had to hire something to "experiment with" ?

There is nothing funny in what they are trying to do. It is an embarassment to the biodiesel community. There is nothing sustainable in what they are attempting, nor should they call it "green".

Bill

Comment

If only i had the balls like these fellas when i was their age.
            I do think it will be extremely challenging and tough at times but hey that is what the spirit of adventure is about, if it was easy and pushed no limits, what would that prove?
            As for Bushbill's comments i think you should encourage these young men, as without young fellas like them attempting things like this, the world would become very mundane very quickly.

Best of luck lads, I will be sure to follow your bioadventure

Comment

1 day with 5 responses - love it, cheers everyone. We certainly will need all the help we can get!

We're not travelling in a rodeo - that was a mates ute we borrowed for filming (the 83 hilux we run our biodiesel through didn't look so good on camera!). For the actual expedition, we're taking a 6 tonne truck that burns approx 16L per 100, so we're looking at approx 6,500 L of biodiesel to get to Norway!! that's a lotta biodiesel. Can't tell you what make and model just yet - 90% there to locking down that sponsor.

We'll be producing biodiesel along the way with a 150L processor. Cleaning it with a dry wash, then get rid of the wash with microfiltration... down to 0.3 of a micron. We will be carrying a tank full of methanol to allow us to bring our processor on the trip - approx 100L methanol tank will get us 500L of fuel - or more, at least 3500km... Of course we'll also have to carry caustic soda in fair qantities. Heat for the processor will be provided by an exchanger using the engine radiator system (PID controlled) and pumps will be 24V vehicle power. To get rid of the glycerine we're thinking of a side project - making soap! Yet to completely figure that one out.

The reason we had to 'experiment' is because we hadn't been running our fuel through a common rail - and the truck we're now looking at for the trip injects at 1600bar pressure. Renting the hilux was the cheapest option for that one! I can now confidently tell you, 100% biodiesel works in common-rails. Even the stuff we threw in, filtered to 50 micron - on the expedition we're doing 0.3 micron, so shouldn't be any clogging issues there...

RE shotting biodiesel, check out this video.

Not trying to be funny, we're about creating conversations. I hope we're not embarassments to the biodiesel - at the very least we are the ones out there trying to show it's possible. Lastly, we are called the 'green' way up, but by no means are we advertising ourselves as 100% eco friendly. Here's what we think on that.

Cheers Biodiesel Forum, love us or hate us, we enjoy hearing from you.

Comment

Bob,

Something is reminding me of a scene from the Long Way Round where Charlie Borman cracks the s...ts because he couldn't get his favourite bike and all the gear given to him via sponsored deals. No doubt he got well paid for his time too - good luck to him and those who mirror him and Mr McGregor.

There is many years of experience on this forum that'd be willing to guide and support newcomers endeavors, but we're not in your league of getting sponsored vehicles, film crews etc etc. Perhaps you could help the rest of us in gaining sponsorship to promote what we do in our everyday driving, and this would spread your word of sustainability even further.

Those of the forum that have run common rail engines on their own BioDiesel can give you many accounts of their successes - hiring a vehicle to prove an already proven point and showing off about it hasn't gone down so well with the aged warriors has it?

Also those of us that have travelled extensively around Australia collecting oil on the way are also more than happy to guide newcomers that wish to follow in our path, so the journey can be easier for you.

I sense some doubts from the forum about aspects of your planning. Not being coy and asking us for ideas and alternatives might elicit some very helpful solutions.

Tim
                Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Watched the videos, O boy! you guys have a lot to learn.
                  Johnnojack
                  4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                  Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Just watched them too. To be honest I'll be surprised if you get there. High altitude and a northern winter should be fun....

I am sure you blokes will a have an absolute blast along the way though.

Barring the not so in-frequent mishap, breakdown and failure of your brewing rig as you bounce accross some mongrel goat tracks for hours on end days at a time through places that you wont be able to speak the language to request some welding rods off the local black market man because your wash tank just fell off, I think it would be a good trip.

It could also be quite entertaining when you try to cross a border with a truck loaded with Methanol and glycerine without the appropriate licences for transport of large quantities. How are you going to get your super flammable rig on a ferry?

You've probably got all the possible sticking points solved though.

Sort out your life insurances first though and make sure it has allowances for "Death by madman in Turkmenistan" as a claimable event.

Comment

good luck on your trip, I sure you will have the time of your life, your bio shot needs ice, a wedge of lemon and one of those little umbrellas, a bendy straw, a deck chair, served by a super model on a beach.

Comment

Thanks for the continued feedback everyone.

Yeah we've got a s**tload to learn! We've only been producing biodiesel for about 6 months now, using a static processor in the back yard (that's the stainless one you see on the back of the ute). Stepping up to a portable processor is our biggest challenge. At the moment we're all flat out in the office trying to gain some financial support for the trip, so designing this processor has been put on the back burner. Not smart! I see us stopping at every hardware shop through Australia to solve our probs.

As I've mentioned, we'll be using microfilters to make sure our fuel is fine enough to go into the common rail, this'll also remove any excess glycerine that doesn't settle over the 8-10 hours we'll be giving it. My biggest hurdle will be the wash - we won't have the luxury of time to be doing thorough water washes (let alone the stable platform!). At the moment dry wash is our answer - but I'm not convinced this is sufficient to remove all catalyst, and we can't have any left floating around if our engine is to last 40000km. Tim I appreciate your feedback, you're absolutely right in that the biodiesel forum here will be a wealth of knowledge for me. Once construction of this thing starts I'll upload daily videos of the progress. This'll be when I'm up the creek without a paddle and looking for advice, coming to you guys will be invaluable to us.

So I guess to summarise that: we're young, dumb and full of ignorance. But that's what makes it exciting for me (and will make for a great TV series - hopefully!) What we're attempting is possible on paper, it'll be our blood, sweat, tears and failures that'll eventually make it happen.

Ha, thanks for your feeback Cade. We'll be facing about 12 degree temps when we get to Norway (the arse end of summer), so we'll have to cuddle up to our biodiesel and share body heat at night. Our methanol tank will be built as a standard fuel tank attached to the vehicle - but I'm sure it'll still raise eyebrows at the borders. I'm picturing us trying to explain what the processor is to a Chinese official.. in English.

You'll be decided that we're mad/stupid once you hear this... As for shipping the vehicle, we're sending it to Singapore with empty tanks. Chuck, our welder, is currently building a 5.4m tinny that we're going to jump in at Darwin. Point north and shoot. We've purchased a diesel outboard for the boat and have a mini processor on board and will island hop all our way to Singapore. Stopping in a coastal communities along the way to collect waste oil. We're then donating our tinny to a tsunami affected community (this is being administered through a South East Asia NGO).

I'm sure we're putting some peoples noses outta joint with our plans, can't apologise for that. But we'll cop it all on the chin, it's those with the constructive criticism that we love.

Ice and lemon, that's what we were missing. Thanks for the lightheartedness smithw!

Comment

to make your bio quickly you might want to make it with KOH, as it reacts more quickly, and is more forgiving of water in the oil, then centrifuge it to get the glycerine and soap out of it, I know this is how the commercial guys do it and can make a batch in 20 minutes I've heard.
                          Centrifuges for oil cleaning and biodiesel glycerine separation | EuroFuelTech
                          http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use..._pump_use.html
                          Ive seen one on you tube as well.
                          Diesel outboard, where did you find that?

Comment

I can't comprehend the possible problems , but I'd put a thousand litre tote on the back and go buy some Bio from a local producer.... maybe ??

just a thought.

regards
                            Michael
                            97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                            2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                            2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                            2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                            2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                            Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Bob,

we'll be using microfilters to make sure our fuel is fine enough to go into the common rail, this'll also remove any excess glycerine that doesn't settle over the 8-10 hours we'll be giving it
                              If you still have glyc in solution the microfilter will not help a lot. The filters will remove particulates and unprocessed fats that have reformed.

If you run through your process, then a few here might be able to give some helpful tips, rather than just coming up with a few snippets here and there.
                              Personally I think you should aim to go from Sydney to Adelaide and back as an initial run well before the big journey to attempt to iron out the potential problems.

If you have done your sums you would know that you will need ~1300 litres of Methanol and ~65 kg of KOH. The smart thing would be to make some contacts in various parts of the world now for gaining some of these supplies along the way.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X