Mercedes diesel vacuum take off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes diesel vacuum take off.

I have had poor shutdown on my 300CD for a while until I found that the vacuum take off from the brake booster vacuum line was virtually blocked. The brake booster worked fine (indicating good vacuum, so with the vacuum poor (vacuum gauge in instrument panel) it only left the off take being blocked as the cause of poor ancillary vacuum. While trying to remove the vacuum hose from it, I broke off the hose barb.
    I fabricated a reducing Tee from readily available brass fittings and installed it in the main vacuum line and connected the vacuum ancillaries to it. The shutdown is immediate, the vacuum accessories work correctly, including the HVAC Vacuum pods and the seat back locking vacuum pods (on the passenger side only - I need to investigate this soon).
    Here is a photo of the Tee Click image for larger version

Name:	20170211_195227.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	94852 installed in the vacuum line. Sorry for the poor focus.
    The tee was made from a 12mm * 10mm reducing Tee and a 3mm * 8mm in line reducer. The 8mm end of the inline reducer was a close fit inside the 10m leg of the reducing Tee. A little bit of silver solder and it was made. Total cost around $15 including silver solder and gas.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Mercedes diesel vacuum take off.

Good job Tony. Coincidentally I redid my fuel priming vacuum system this morning. One of the three 12volt vacuum valves had failed so swapped for a spare. At the same time found all the vacuum lines had gone hard or soft, rubber ones soft, PVC ones gone hard. When priming a little bit of diesel or vege oil can enter the lines so caused them to deteriorate. However I have found that the fuel hoses are lasting well. Goss brand fuel injection hose, now about 3 years old and not showing the normal swelling and gooey ends which other hose has shown within 12 months.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Thanks,
      Which vacuum source are you using for priming?
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
        Thanks,
        Which vacuum source are you using for priming?
        I have a line direct from the engine driven vacuum pump. There is a small vacuum receiver which holds vacuum for a few days if there are no leaks. I have a small tap in the line which I leave in the closed position to prevent fuel being drawn into the pump and then engine sump if one of the vacuum valves fails.
        Johnnojack
        4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
        Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X