This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the new oil police?

just returned from my fish and chip shop. the owner told me he has been approached by a company that makes biodiesel and wishes to secure his oil. they told him ( threatened) that he and i could be fined by the EPA for our practise of my picking up used cooking oil to make bio.
    is there any truth to this? they told him that they are licensed to produce the bio and they supplied him with paperwork stating what they do with the oil after they pick it up. company letter heads.
    he also had material handling type paper work supplied that mentioned various cleaning chemicals etc but i could not see any details on cooking oil in these papers nor anything in their company papers to state that by him giving me oil it was against the law and would involve fines to him and myself. he told them he had a guy that picked it up and that he did not know what he (I) did with the oil. now if i pick up oil to be run in a dual fuel setup or to run in a lister generator or to use in a oil heating unit or to add as an ingrediant as a feedstock is there any laws against this or is it only a law against making bio at home?
    i imagine that there are no laws by the EPA for transporting small volumes ( 60 litres) of used cooking oil. ill go check that now.
    is this just a scare tactic so they can get hold of the resource or what?
    the shop owner told me they are cracking down because someone in QLD blew himself up making bio. i dont see how this comes under EPA but maybe they do police the transport or use of chemicals but vegetable oil in itself?

Re: the new oil police?

i reckon their bluffing dont know the actual law related to this but it would be to draconian they are trying it on. if the law was to police /restrict bio for the safety excuse they would control the access to methanol like they do ethanol this would nail bio not svo the companies full of s*^%t

Comment

Gday,I believe they are useing scare tactics and i suggest you go through the EPA website or if you have a spare day ring them up.I received a visit from the NSW dept of Primary Industries a while back because a commercial collector complained about me getting WVO and told the DPI that i was feeding it to livestock,once he knew what i was doing with it they was no problem.regards Westwinds.

Comment

Scare tactics.

Just keep in good with your supplier (maybe buy him some scratchies) and don't worry about it.

There are laws about transporting this stuff, in that you need to not spill and you have to make attempts to not let it If you spill you have to clean it up.

BUT you dont have any more duty of care than the bloke who delivers it to the shop in the first place. Now how does he deliver it? With the lid on and out the back of a car ute or truck is how. Just the same as how you should collect it.

Gosfords a nice place. Used to live at Avoca.

Regards

Chris

Comment

thanks to everyone that posted a reply,
          i have a feeling my supplier has already been scared enough into allowing them to put a storage tank out back. i have been to the EPA website and scoured the information ( two sections) and there doesnt seem to be any requirement to be licensed for what we do. it mentions fees for up to 5000 tonnes of liquid waste ( what i think used vege oil comes under) and then theres increasing fees for larger amounts. i checked the last thread on this involving the queries to the EPA in QLD and the EPA did not have an issue with someone collecting oil in small volumes 60-150 litres at a time for personal use and apparently there were often complaints by commercial bio operators that little guys were picking up oil but the EPA had no law against it. the companies tried to get something done but the EPA took no issue.

i had been keeping on good terms with my supplier, for over a year now..and he was not happy to have to go with them instead of me, it is just they stood over him to secure the supply. me, my freinds and family support his bussiness instead of eating elsewhere and i do give gifts now and then to show my appreciation.

i will contact the EPA to try get a response on paper so that i might be able to remove any fears for the future. he basically was given the opinion that the company was in ties with the EPA due to their license to operate and we could go down under the law if we continued what we did. that he needed someone that was licensed to take away his oil or he would be checked out and fined.
          after reading what QLD EPA stance was on this it seems they may have been making a leap of faith on this.

it seems this has happened to a few people. i read of someone else being told by a shop that they can pick up oil only if they have a license ( the commercial pick up guys told the shop of the need for that).

earlier on my supplier was told by a company pick up driver that backyarders get testicular cancer, now its blowing themselves up and somehow this is being cracked down on by the EPA.

id just ordered a heat exchanger for my ute and filters and valves and a simple centrifuge will be coming soon and it looks like my oil might be cut off. i think we need to get a firm up on the law, so we see where we stand and then can maybe show this to our suppliers so that our suppliers arent swayed by the stretches of the truth.
          this kind of approach will likley threaten everyones supply. if we do need licensing then fair enough but otherwise its not really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by algaeoil View Post
            thanks to everyone that posted a reply,
            i have a feeling my supplier has already been scared enough into allowing them to put a storage tank out back. i have been to the EPA website and scoured the information ( two sections) and there doesnt seem to be any requirement to be licensed for what we do. it mentions fees for up to 5000 tonnes of liquid waste ( what i think used vege oil comes under) and then theres increasing fees for larger amounts. i checked the last thread on this involving the queries to the EPA in QLD and the EPA did not have an issue with someone collecting oil in small volumes 60-150 litres at a time for personal use and apparently there were often complaints by commercial bio operators that little guys were picking up oil but the EPA had no law against it. the companies tried to get something done but the EPA took no issue.

i had been keeping on good terms with my supplier, for over a year now..and he was not happy to have to go with them instead of me, it is just they stood over him to secure the supply. me, my freinds and family support his bussiness instead of eating elsewhere and i do give gifts now and then to show my appreciation.

i will contact the EPA to try get a response on paper so that i might be able to remove any fears for the future. he basically was given the opinion that the company was in ties with the EPA due to their license to operate and we could go down under the law if we continued what we did. that he needed someone that was licensed to take away his oil or he would be checked out and fined.
            after reading what QLD EPA stance was on this it seems they may have been making a leap of faith on this.

it seems this has happened to a few people. i read of someone else being told by a shop that they can pick up oil only if they have a license ( the commercial pick up guys told the shop of the need for that).

earlier on my supplier was told by a company pick up driver that backyarders get testicular cancer, now its blowing themselves up and somehow this is being cracked down on by the EPA.

id just ordered a heat exchanger for my ute and filters and valves and a simple centrifuge will be coming soon and it looks like my oil might be cut off. i think we need to get a firm up on the law, so we see where we stand and then can maybe show this to our suppliers so that our suppliers arent swayed by the stretches of the truth.
            this kind of approach will likley threaten everyones supply. if we do need licensing then fair enough but otherwise its not really cool.
            Im up your way northern end, so a little interested on what happens.
            My chippy has a company collecting bin but the chippy leaves oil in a drum
            for me, it saves him having to tip the oil in the companies bin.and Im
            unable to use all he produces.

Find out who the company is and ring them about the false info they have
            been giving out to your local chippy. Threaten you will follow there trucks
            and give the correct info to all there suppliers.

I rang Wyong council some time ago and they have no policy on WVO collecting
            or using and was happy that it was not being dumped into there waste dump.
            neil
            Last edited by neil; 9 August 2009, 01:46 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

thanks dave and neil,
              i think the company was called rec*cled c#^king oils.
              my nine year old saw the letter head and remembered it as such.
              i will be likley able to scan the letter soon but the suspect info was not written just spoken. which was why i though it was a scam tactic.

they are in newcastle/hamilton? area.
              they told the shop owner he should keep it local.
              i live about half a kilometre from the shop..and we have had a good thing going for a long while now. im in there buying fish and chips at the time and not even picking up oil..

i will pursure a stance from the EPA and that way we can all have the knowledge to use as you say dave. if i had this info before i wouldnt be having this problem now and it is peculiar that no body here has a copy of the law that allows us to do this kind of thing. i may have some help from other members here getting that info.

it probably is because there is no law against it that we havent seen this thing in the threads and so been able to carry it around.

i am sure that my guy will tell them to come pick up their tank if he finds they made that stuff up. he really was expecting a visit from the EPA for giving the oil to someone.
              algaeoil
              Last edited by algaeoil; 9 August 2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

before anybody writes anything i will check the company name as i do think there is a company that goes by a similar name.

Comment

Good chance they are from the Newcastle area as they still have the Rutherford bio plant still going.
                  Has not been to many big collectors on the CC since the Berkley vale bio plant ceased operating.

Comment

hey neil, that is interesting because i also heard that berkely vale closed down long back but there is one on the web eight now listed as picking up used oil (based in tuggerah) but that may have been one and the same, i think they carried the coastal name tag as prefix. still likley as with any business that other players will come along. the letter head was in green bold type.

sending a person out with papers and seeing what happens to the existing used oil from a premises would seem to be a natural thing to do. the usual plan is to win bussiness with price or quality or service.
                    if the company does win over shops with this method its probably only a matter of time before they use it to scoop the pool. if it were the law though surely we would have no oil already and if the law changed we would soon here about it.

i just sent a mail to EPA to find out.

Comment

EPA Qld has no issues with us carrying small quantities of oil, even in my case of 200 litres its ok.

Tell them to go jump.

Matt
                      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Newcastle herald had a feature on the Rutherfed plant some time ago.
                        They had been given council approval for increased production and a facility
                        at the port of Newcastle to ship the bio out.
                        So I imagined it would only be a matter of time before they hit the Central coast stores.

Comment

When the price of diesel went up here in the UK to 1.30 per litre I started to make my own fuel. I paid for the good qual oil and still do. A commercial company who collected the oil previously for free started stealing the oil left for me but the owner told them -that is theft. Do you think it might well make a difference to them if your shop owner told them there is a price to pay for his/her oil -in the future ?????? This could well frighten them off more than any other threat because the Comercial dealers do not like paying for anything. I heard the commercial dealers paid around 10p per litre last year and you can see it for sale on Ebay of all places !!!!!
                          As I'm sure every one knows that here there is now a Law to cover every mortal thing and you cannot go about everyday life without breaking some Law or rule but wether the Law makers do anything about these paltry descrepancies is another matter. Another way of sorting these collectors is to ask you shop owner to leave them the crap in their container and you collect your nice oil skimmed off the top - give them the dregs----- IS THIS NOT EXACTLY WHAT THEY DERERVE. ??????

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post
                            Newcastle herald had a feature on the Rutherfed plant some time ago.
                            They had been given council approval for increased production and a facility
                            at the port of Newcastle to ship the bio out.
                            So I imagined it would only be a matter of time before they hit the Central coast stores.
                            A mate of mine up northern rivers way has lost all his supplies to this lot I suspect and they are making inroads to my area as well, now paying for my oil, too good a supply to let go.A good supply is everything to making bio.

Matt
                            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

no word back from the EPA as of yet..

Comment

Working...
                              X