Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many biodiesel users are there in Tas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many biodiesel users are there in Tas.

Just checking to see how many people are here that use and or make their own fuel. I would like to grow mine as well and am looking at mustard plants as one option. Does anyone know of a fast growing, low water use plant that produces a high usable oil content, I would like to know. It must be able to handle our southern weather.

Re: How many biodiesel users are there in Tas.

None it appears so far, maybe someone could tell me the best place to purchase the chemicals required here in Tas or maybe there is someone that would like to use biodiesel down here.

Comment

Sorry Alga, I was really hoping some Tasmanian users might come out of hiding for you there. Come on Tasmania, you're meant to have a green reputation. I'm sure in time others will find you here.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

I'm not a biodiesel user yet, I am currently working on SVO/WVO conversion at the moment, sort of running but have fuel pump issues at the moment - waiting for a new pump then will see how things go.
        MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Comment

Mr Ute, I'm just starting as well just deciding which way to go. Whether to try SVO, WVO, big batches or small batches. I've got a big diesel boat as well as tractor and a couple cars, so use a bit. I have found that lots of shops are already having their wvo picked up, so there should be a few people doing this. Lets know how you get on with your approach and I will keep you informed. I was going to buy fresh bulk VO but haven't found a supplier here and couldn't afford to transport it myself from Aus. You can get it for $200 - $300 a tonne in the Riverina so I am told. It may be useful to find a couple of others and test the possibility of buying a big bulk shipment. I haven't worked out the economics of it, but reckon it could be done for less than 60-70cents litre in the tank.

Comment

Hi
            I am another newee to bd, just in the throws of having 2x200 litre processors manufactured, i have decided not to wash bd so may sell one of them.
            I also want to find people in tassie there semm to be a lot of people wanting to do it or thinking of it but the people out there who are making it seem very secretive.
            Thats it for now.
            Glad i found a local site.
            Thanks

Comment

Hi Reg,

You are right about people being secretive when it comes to BD or even SVO/WVO - but they are here. Every now & then a name gets metioned in passing but no one will own up to doing it.
              Once I get my WVO system sorted (almost there) I will be looking into BD more seriously as not all of my collected oil suits my current setup.
              If you are still considering selling you processor I may be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ute
                Hi Reg,

You are right about people being secretive when it comes to BD or even SVO/WVO - but they are here. Every now & then a name gets metioned in passing but no one will own up to doing it.
                Once I get my WVO system sorted (almost there) I will be looking into BD more seriously as not all of my collected oil suits my current setup.
                If you are still considering selling you processor I may be interested.
                Hi mr ute
                I may be interested in selling it the spare one any way it is a 44gal with a square / conical bottom and tap this holds 25ltr +200 ltr.
                It has a fancy stand which enables drum to be taken out for cleaning or replacement.
                it owes me $500 as it was made by engineer. A bit pricey i know but it looks professional. Feels like all i am doing is spending money.
                Are you located north or south of hobart?
                How are you going getting enough oil?
                I am seriously considering offering to buy the the stuff as someone already has 44 gal drums in almost all the shops. I am pretty sure this is going as animal feed.

Comment

Reg,

You will probably find that most shop owners are not paying to have the oil removed, "someone just takes it away". I found a couple of resturants / shops that change the oil often so the quality is good, although I found quite a few already give it to other BD or WCO users! When you ask about their oil disposal they say "making diesel eh?". Which side of Hobart (south, North or East) are you?

Comment

Hi I agree with both of you, I also have a bit of trouble getting wvo as others are taking it for feed. I live down the tasman so don't have access to much. What I am doing is investigating growing my own. MUstard is one crop, but I have discovered that wild radish a weed, contains 48% oil and algae that grows on dams has an even higher content. I crushed some wattle seeds along with wild cherry and eucalypt and got quite a bit of oil out of them but harvesting would be the problem. The biggest problem is finding a crusher as they don't appear to be made here in Aus. I also have a 3.3 nissan turbo and found that she runs really well on vegie oil, much quiter. The best engine they ever made in my opinion.

I also would be interested in your design Reg and where it was made, so that I can look at getting one done. I am going to get a pre heater so that I can use both wvo and fresh unprocessed veg oil.

Comment

Alga,

I am interested in how you ran your SD33T on veg oil. I am still having a problem with my SD33 with wvo delivery to the IP, although my pre heater & filter heater are working well. Maybe we should start a new thread under the SVO to discuss further.

Comment

Sorry Mr ute, I meant Bio diesel, not SVO. I tried it on SVO but it clogged up my filters. Bio, works well, with no trouble. That may be because I had to put a new fuel line in after using SVO as it put a lot of gunk in the lines.

I also had to change my filters 3 times because of all the gunk, but since the last time they are now always clean. I had a lot of smoke at times as it cleaned out the petro junk. I can't get enough uvo, as they take it for stock feed, so I have to blend petro some times. I doesn't run as well on the mixture which is about 50-50.

I am really new at this and have made some monumental mistakes. One is a 2.5 datsun diesel, that I experimented with. Now I'm rebuilding the fuel system, after learning that without a pre heater, SVO don't work well. I have a 671GM 2 stroke in my boat. (260hp) and she just loves bio, no hunting, smoother, uses less. The huge fiter system that regularily needed to be cleaned when using petro around the sea, now has fiters that are always clean. I have noticed that water vapour buildup doesn't come with red brown gunk anymore, just clean water in the filters. Using BIo blends means I don't have to use sulphur substitutes anymore.

I just wish I had the money to set it up properly. This year we hope to build our own processor and press, we have over a tonne of various seed from our property that we hope to use for oil, that was collected by hand. I'm designing a tractor based stripper for that and have found that eucalypt seed has more oil whilst they are green. Its a pity they won't let us grow cannabis seed, as it produces lots of oil and masses of seeds, I can only imagine what people would think as you drove along with that smell coming from your exhaust, probably hialrious. Wild radish seems to be the next best, although we are checking out lots of weeds as they apear to be prolific seed producers as do a lot of asian consumable greens.

Comment

Hi,
                          I just found your forum and joined. I have been interested in BD for about 2.5 yrs since I bought a diesel 4wd, but the cost of a rebuild if I stuff my engine has always stopped me.

The good news for you guys is:
                          • I am an industrial chemist, with a little organic chem knowledge, I worked in the steel industry.
                          • I have an oil press (expeller), located in Hobart, I bought it to press Apricot kernels.
                          • I have used the expeller to press some canola seed I was given and have the oil sitting around, about 90L. i I might try to sell it first.
                          • I know a bloke who is also playing around, on the big scale, with wvo and canola oil based BD. Johnsons oil recyclers
                          glenos

Comment

Hi, I am looking into making my own biodiesel too mate but need to find out where I can get some of the chemicals etc and have to really start looking into making the equipment to do it. Have a couple of friends keen too and would be happy to exchange ideas and info.

Mark

Comment

Hi guys,
                              The most important thing you need to find is a good supply of decent used veggie oil, there are heaps of people collecting the stuff from the restaurants etc.
                              Go find these first, it is amazing how little the fish shops actually use each week, they tell you 40 50 litres and it is really only 20 25ltrs.
                              If you can get the oil good on ya go for it, if not forget it, the oil recyclers have there drums almost everywhere i go to and the restaurants tend to mix with animal fat and some use straight animal fat which makes life hard in this climate.
                              I am not trying to put you off but i spent a lot of money setting up and to tell you the truth i do not know if it is worth the hassle.
                              I have a spare processor sitting here. Cost me $600 to have made up has a conical base and tap and is on a very nice stand.
                              Apart from the doom and gloom there are a few chemical suppliers in the northern suburbs Yellow pages.
                              The only place i found you can get methanol is at the bp oil refinery in 200 ltr drums as the 20 ltr drums are way too expensive.
                              Be wary where yo get your oil as in my first week i found 800 litres of used cooking oil at the local tip, that is where it should of stayed it was crap.
                              Now i have to dispose of the majority of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X