Ssangyong Musso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssangyong Musso

I looked at another members Ssanyong (Musso) on the weekend. I am interested in this sort of vehicle especially as it has a Mercedes derived diesel engine. Can anyone tell me if they have converted one to SVO (none in the "Vehicles Converted" sticky)

What are the good models etc. any bad years/models.....
    Manual, auto and turbo issues?

Thanks heaps

Adam
    1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
    1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
    2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Re: Ssangyong Musso

What sort of pumps do they run?
    Are they electronicly controlled at all? If Not, you should be safe.
    The turbo merc engines are easy and reliable to turn the wicks right up and get some decent power out of the things. I know there is a very conservative attitude amongst the Veg crowd but others are getting some impressive performance out of the things. It would be nice to have something with a bit of poke for overtaking and towing rather than just slothing along everywhere.
    Anyone know what series of engines the Mussos Run?

Might have a look at one of these myself if they are viable.
    I was thinking of an ML Merc but I have heard a bit about reliability issues with those on things other than the engines and running gear.

Comment

Adam

Sounds like a good choice.the 2.9 litre sounds like a great choice.
      Search this forum for anything Fitian has converted. He even has photos.
      I have the 2.7 litre ML but run on Bio. I love it and wouldn't make any changes. Good luck and I'm sure someone will post something positive regarding the ssangyong as its a good string machine having the IDI merc motor.

Michael
      97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
      2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
      2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
      2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
      Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

The Musso 2.9 uses the Bosh inline injector pump

Comment

They run virtually exactly the same engine and fuel system as the W201 190D and W124 300D, and same fuel system as the W123 diesels.

Not much needed to convert, and very forgiving on WVO due to the inline pump and indirect injection.

Have a look at the UK Ssangyong onwers club site Ssangyong Owners Club - there are heaps of people running them there on veg oil with minimal/no conversions. Also a few on SsangYong 4WD Club Of Australia Inc. Forum • Index page

PS. Thanks for the oil - the amount supplied you got us to Adelaide + about 150km of extra driving around there.

Oh, and as for fuel consumption, got 7L per 100km on the trip form Melbourne to Ararat...
          1987 Mercedes W124 300D
          1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

They sound perfect!
            7l/ 100 out of a vehicle that size is amazing even if you were driving it like an old woman.

I was looking on youtube and saw some vids of some Diesel mussos that were doing very well drag racing with nothing more than a bigger turbo and pump.
            They seem to run bigger pump plungers but I think there would be some well worthwhile gains just by maxing the turbo or the pump out, whatever reached it's limits first.

I was wondering what engines they had. They specify an om 662 I think it was which is the musso copy. I'll look more for performance mods for the original series benz and see whats been done.

Australia really is so incredibly backwards when it comes to Diesels. Even the Yanks are ahead of us which is pretty shameful.
            It would be very cool to have a fast Diesel, especially one you could run for next to nothing.

Comment

Yes... when I got 7L/100km I didn't go much over 80km/h, sometimes less. Still, I think it's pretty good for a 2-tonne almost-truck.

Ye, OM662 in the 2.9L diesels here (Mercedes OM602 built under licence in Korea - same as in the Mercedes MB140D vans that are also built by Ssangyong).

Quite a few performance mods are listed on the two Ssangyong sites listed. It's said that Ssangyong detuned them a bit, mainly to reduce the diesel clatter so as to appeal a bit more to the sensibilities of the intended market, and once a few screws are turned back the right way they go much better.

Not 100% sure, but I think forum member Lozzer has done the mods on his turbo ute (same engine).

As mentioned before, Fitian has converted at least one. Mine runs fine without a conversion, although I think I'm pushing it a bit by leaving WVO in the fuel system overnight so often. For the lazier ones amongst us, given the robust fuel system, I think they'd run fine with a conversion that's somewhere in between Fitian's conversion style and the Dave Jones minimalist approach
              83Patrol
              Donating Member
              Last edited by 83Patrol; 23 July 2012, 09:58 PM.
              1987 Mercedes W124 300D

Comment

Gday . i have converted and driven my musso on vegoil with great success. It has sometimes been given some dodgy oil where it has blocked filters
                and even to the piont where i have had to bypass every thing and it still runs on veg , great cars.

Pete

Comment

Not so long ago it seemed that the choice of vehicle that could run Veg or Bio was extremely limited.
                  Thankfully some people have tried different makes and there now seems a good variety of Modern vehicles a vegger can choose from.
                  I'm looking at 3 at least and having a hard time deciding which one to go for.

Comment

Peter

If I had my time again I'd look at a VW Caddy or Nissan Navara 3.2 litre D22 ute or the 2002 Mazda Bravo ute or the ford look alike.
                    Certainly the Musso looks like rock steady vehicle that nothing will break.
                    even the 2.8 litre mitsubishi pajero or triton would be a good choice if you could find a tidy one.

Sorry but there is a lot to choose from. I know I run Bio but I did a lot of research on WVO vehicles before deciding to run B100 and found that there was a wide range of vehicles to choose from.
                    I'd imagine that every year though the choice will be limited again simply by age. it's a shame nobody builds a merc engine like the old W124. I'd have 1 in a new ute straight away.

Good Luck

Michael
                    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Adam

how goes the Musso ?
                      Next year I plan to make the trip out to Camerons Corner. this is on the Qld / NSW and NT borders.
                      A group of mates and work mates have put together a trip with half a dozen vehicles so I thought why not but I want to do it on Veg and Bio. much to the humour of my work mates.

If you have any feedback on the Musso I'd really appreciate it as I'm now starting to look at changing my ML270 to a ute.
                      The Mazda and Ford varient of Courier/Bravo up to 2006 look good as well as the 2005/2006 Musso sport.

what I really want to do is make this trip on little or no Dino at all.
                      I'd love to have a 1999 Nissan Patrol 2.8 litre 6 but because I spend most of my day with work driving around Brisbane city and suburbs it isn't very practical.

Michael
                      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Hi Michael,
                        It depends on what you want.
                        The 2.9 Musso is exactly an IDI Mercedes Diesel with the Bosch inline IP. The "gold Standard" for alternate fuel.
                        " With some Mercedes-Benz 250D/E250D diesels exceeding 500,000 or 1,000,000 miles, it is considered to be one of the most reliable engines ever produced, a success which is only comparable with the famous OM617 engine"
                        The early Musso's even used engines imported from Germany before the German Mercedes Technicians had the Korean engine line up and running.

The Turbo version installed in the Daewoo Musso Suv's and the subsequent Ssangyong Musso Utilities is rated at 88kw. Most people would find this only barely adequate. When towing heavy loads you know it.
                        The non-turbo version is rated at 70kw, but this engine is only in the earlier Ssangyong SUV's.

My 2006 Musso ute that I bought new now has about 217,000 km and and it sounds and runs like a new engine. About 215,000km of that has been on biodiesel.
                        At one stage I was mixing 1/3 WVO with 2/3 biodiesel and even in the winter the engine ran perfectly with no indication that I was mixing WVO into the fuel.
                        Eventually I went back to B100 because the difference in cost was negligible and I thought "just in case".

Other than glow plugs, I have had no problems with the engine and I am looking forward to seeing just how many km the engine will eventually amass before requiring major repairs.
                        tillyfromparadise
                        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 15 June 2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Tilly

Thanks for your feedback. This vehicle I believe with a few minor changes will produce about 20 extra KW.

again thank you.

Michael
                          2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

As far as the fuel system goes, they're basically the same as the old Merc's.

I've lost count of how many times I've parked my Musso's (I've had a few) for hours - and also days, weeks, even months - with anything up to 100% WVO still in the IP & lines and it's fired to life (except for the times there's been solids in the filter, then a quick filter change has fixed it).

Not a recommended practice on any vehicle, I know, but it shows how robust they are.

Bio, blends, 100% WVO - even in cool temps with no heat exchanger... the fuel systems in these process it all with ease (as long a the usual precautions in regards to water, etc. are taken.)
                            1987 Mercedes W124 300D

Comment

Hi Michael,
                              On the Australian Ssangyong forum there is a thread or two that details some simple modifications that can increase power. I have only made one minor change with the view to increasing engine longevity and not increasing power.

The Musso Ute would be one of the last all mechanical injection diesels sold in Australia. NO COMPUTER!!!

I am amused to just read on one website that they are selling a "Power Chip" that increases the Musso's power from 88kw to a massive 108kw.
                              It only takes between 1 to three hours to install and costs a very reasonable $1295.
                              Considering the Musso does not have a computer controlling the engine I wonder where the chip goes.
                              Or it might be a potato chip.

Comment

Working...
                              X