BD use in Common Rail engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BD use in Common Rail engines

I would be interested to read opinions of BD being used in common rail engines. Especially Landcruiser
    I currently use BD100 in the 1HZ engine in a 2004 Landcruiser. I would like to upgrade to the newer vehicle but I am wary of BD in the new V8 Common rail engine.
    Grateful for any stories or thoughts.
    With thanks Tim

Re: BD use in Common Rail engines

I want to bump this thread, as I have the same question. Is anyone running BD in a common rail engine.
    thanks

Comment

I've used B100 in 2x common rail Peugeot 2.0 hdi's. One for 3 years and One for 5 years with no issues.

Comment

Thanks smithy, there seems to be a lot of misinformation on the internet. Ive got a 306 Pug that im repairing and a friend been looking at a 406, but he was put off by all the "biodiesel broke my engine" stories that are out there.

Comment

Hi smithy I'm the friend mentioned concerning the 406 hdi common rail, I take your word you have had great success with running B100 I would like to know given you have achieved to have success with this model I am curious what little improvements have you done if any at all to achieve this. Most of the threads I've read have all stated much concern Eg to much strain on pump,blockages ect.. And have for the most part recommend no more really than 30% biodiesel any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Regards Nathan.

Comment

Hi gemspec, here in the UK (within us biodieselers) the pug 2.0 HDI engine is regarded as 'unshootable' as far as bio is concerned. Because of the much higher pump pressures involved with common rail it is important that your fuel contains a minimum of residual oil (triglycerides) but a clear 10/90 or 3/27 test will tell you that.

I must also add that my son bought an old belingo some 2 1/2 years ago fitted with one of the 1st 2.0 HDI's which hasn't missed a beat on bio.

Any common rail will run OK on well made bio, it is the DPF's that usually don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by smithy View Post
              Hi gemspec, here in the UK (within us biodieselers) the pug 2.0 HDI engine is regarded as 'unshootable' as far as bio is concerned. Because of the much higher pump pressures involved with common rail it is important that your fuel contains a minimum of residual oil (triglycerides) but a clear 10/90 or 3/27 test will tell you that.

I must also add that my son bought an old belingo some 2 1/2 years ago fitted with one of the 1st 2.0 HDI's which hasn't missed a beat on bio.

Any common rail will run OK on well made bio, it is the DPF's that usually don't like it.
              Hi smithy, once again a big thanks for the information it is interesting you say with good biodiesel it is not a problem my friend W Smith that asked you the question earlier he and I spoke about this and with not critisicms to anyone making biodiesel the way they know how making good biodiesel could be half the problem that all these people are having issues due to the quality they are producing. Big thanks nathan

Comment

Thanks, I'm here if you need to ask anything.

Comment

Well I really appreciate that so many thanks! Nathan.

Comment

Why bother using biodiesel when Alexander Noac of Grease energy has kits and ECU mapping to run CRD engines on straight vegetable oil.
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                      Why bother using biodiesel when Alexander Noac of Grease energy has kits and ECU mapping to run CRD engines on straight vegetable oil.
                      I suppose the remapping and other mods can be quite expensive. What about re-selling the vehicle to someone who doesn't want to use SVO. Just seems easier to use bio in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by smithy View Post
                        I suppose the remapping and other mods can be quite expensive. What about re-selling the vehicle to someone who doesn't want to use SVO. Just seems easier to use bio in the first place.
                        The re-mapping is no more expensive and likely to be less expensive than many of the performance re-mapping done to CRD vehicles. The fueling is optimised for WVO, but the engine will still run well on Diesel. A conversion kit for a diesel vehicle costs about the same as a biodiesel processor. You can add the heat exchanger and any valving as needed yourself and save even more.
                        Check out Grease energy to see the prices are 290 € for 2 tank conversion or 650 € for 1 tank system ECU programs. This would not include the reprogramming, but "reading and writing of this file you or your workshop need a proper reading and writing tool (Flashtool)."
                        The conversion of a vehicle to use WVO costs the same for a CRD or non-CRD engine. The only difference for a CRD engine is the ability to re-map the EGU for optimal operation on WVO.
                        Tony From West Oz
                        Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                        Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 22 November 2017, 12:31 AM. Reason: I had prices reversed for 1 tank and 2 tank
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

I cans see a heap of problems trying to run a common rail on WVO. It all very well to have your ECU programed for it, It doesn't address other issues, such as
                          The in tank lift pump will not work with WVO, Trust me Ive tried.
                          The fuel filter is 1 micron cold WVO will have a hard time going through that.
                          The fuel pressure regulator has an even finer filter on it and was never designed to flow viscous fuels, It will even over pressure the pump on poorly made bio diesel.
                          The injectors and high pressure pump are not very robust, even one damaged injector will cause the engine to shut down.
                          For the price they are charging I would want the ECU posted to me not just a flash file emailed to me.
                          Just my 2 cents,

Comment

You have the right to your opinion. I know that Alexander sells kits and ECU updates across the world for cars, heavy vehicles and stationary diesel engines. He wouldn't be so successful if he didn't know what he was doing. He says that the CRD run better on WVO than non CRD engines on WVO.
                            I am sure that he would address viscosity issues by heating the WVO, same as you or I would, but he may have other methods. Check if your vehicle is listed. If it is, then he has dealt with issues running it on WVO.
                            Obviously, the WVO must be filtered to an appropriate standard and be water free.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

I bought the wife a 406 Hdi about 6 months ago its been running 100% bio with no problems. Just for sh!ts and giggles I got the ECU remapped to delete the EGR and an extra 30 HP by HDI tuning in the UK. car goes great. If your looking to delete the DPF they can also do that too as well as disable the engine imobliser which is great if you by a car with no key. Ive also got a couple of mates who also have been running B100 in there Peugeot HDI they have had not problems so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X