Heating the house with bio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating the house with bio

Due to some clown (noddy or big ears) in government I can no longer get fire wood from the state park, so Im (and may others) are forced come up with some other form of heating. Several small fire wood business have been put out of work so its now very expensive to buy wood. So I picked up a Planar diesel air heater from ebay and threw some bio in it and what do you know, it works like a charm..... In fact it works a little too well I also picked up a floor heater vent ( from another seller) and the first time I fired it up it melted the vent, It blows out incredibly hot air. So just got to finish installing it and it should be all good.
    Still having issues with photos so have a look at this if your interested http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321481190...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Re: Heating the house with bio

That looks like a very interesting alternative heater what size area are expecting to heat with it is there any fume issues? hope all goes well Smithw

Comment

Check out my thread on http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads...t=home+heating
      using WVO as fuel. I have a couple of video on you tube also.

I have now got the hydronic heating radiators connected and working well.
      Yesterday the house was cold at 11am so I fired it up and it used about 10 litres between then and midnight. The whole house was up above 20°C, so I am pretty chuffed with this heater.
      Still more work to do, controls to change heat settings and valve positions, between boosting the solar tank and for heating the house. Safety and over temperature shutdowns will also be incorporated into the control system.

Yours sounds like a little rocket. You may need to get a blower to mix cooler air with the heated air so you don't cause any damage with the excessively hot air from your new toy.

Have fun,

Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks tony Ive been toying with idea of converting the wood fire to WVO, glycerine or sump oil, but the fire place is near the center of the house, on a concrete slab, so I havent worked out how Im going to get a fuel line to it. I dont want a tank inside.
        So this diesel heater came up so I thought I would give it a go, as we would now have to spend $150 or more per meter of wood (if I can get it) , and probably go through 4 meters over winter. It certainly heats the house up way quicker than the fire, as is sucks up cold air from outside and blasts hot air inside. It has a separate intake and exhaust for the burner so there is no problems with fumes. I will at some stage fit a thermostat to it, easy enough done it just has 2 wires to turn it off and on.

Comment

smithw,
          You could simply run a suitable pipe up an outside wall over the ceiling and then down to the heater. If it is against a wall or in a corner that will make it easier to route the pipe. I am using 10mm nylon air line as my fuel pipe, but i only have to go from the tank outside, thru the rammed earth wall, and into my control box (containing the fuel pump, valves and flow control valves as well as the blower and eventually the control electronics).
          Note: Facet style fuel pumps do not like to self-prime with fuel. They overheat and the electronics die.
          I have killed 2 of them this way.

Tony
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Thanks Tony, Do those little tick tick pumps work ok with WVO or WMO? It was nice to be ale to flick a switch this morning and heat up the house.

Comment

Yes, they do work OK, but you need to have larger fuel lines to minimise the flow restriction.
              At the moment, we are using 50% used Transformer oil (reprocessed but not meeting specifications) and 50% WVO as fuel.
              Last night we used 12 litres between 4pm and 1:30 am, and most of the house was toasty warm. We closed off the bedrooms to avoid cool drafts in the living areas.

Regards,
              Tony
              Tony From West Oz
              Vice Chairperson of WARFA
              Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 27 May 2015, 02:38 AM.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Tony,

You may already realise this and are taking appropriate precautions, but I understand that used transformer oil is particularly nasty. I also understand that the oil has been changed in recent years and the current oil is less nasty, but I do believe they are both carcinogenic. I think it has to do with the excessive heat cycles they go through and the temperatures reached.

Comment

Thanks tony that is good to know, I will have to have a think about how I can convert the fire to wvo. The diesel heater works great, I put it on for an hour last night and the house was warm enough to switch it off. As its air supply is from outside and it blows so much air into the house, The hot air seems to travel all through the rooms, and its not drafty like when the fire place is going. Also it uses around half a liter per hour and is rated at 4.6 KW

Comment

Cade,
                    Thanks for your reminder of the issues with Transformer oil.

Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Absolutely correct, old oil contains PCB's, new oil does not but has plenty of other mineral nasties, can find out if you like (work in the industry). Please don't use it like this.
                      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Your heater sounds great. Very economical too.
                        By pressurising the house, you will avoid drafts, as you have found out.
                        The heater configuration I have used, uses a blower to provide air to the burner and a low pressure pump to supply fuel. I have a needle valve to control fuel flow rates.
                        Now while the blower is a tad noisy, most of the noise comes from the "turbine noise" of the burner in operation. In our home this is not an issue as we do not occupy that area at night when the burner is working. Had it been in our main living area, I would have needed to reconsider the type of burner I used, as the total noise of the blower / burner can be intrusive.

Regards,
                        Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

smithw - does you new diesel heater make much noise?

What are the exhaust fumes like? Any smoke?

I love the idea of plumbing something like this into my existing ducted gas heating system, but living in close quarters to the neighbours here in Sydney, don't want to get them offside…..although I wouldn't mind exacting some revenge on the bloke over the back who runs his wood fire too rich and smokes the whole neighbourhood out. Get some fish n chips into ya!
                          3DB
                          1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
                          1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
                          1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
                          @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
                          @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

It makes a little bit of noise, but its not loud. There a rushing air/fan noise inside, and it would be about as load as an air con outside, There is no fumes inside but a little smoke on start up and shut down out the exhaust. So you need to pipe the exhaust well away from the intake or you will get fumes inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Absolutely correct, old oil contains PCB's, new oil does not but has plenty of other mineral nasties, can find out if you like (work in the industry). Please don't use it like this.
                              Hey Matt - being in the electricity industry, you might have come across some newer pole-top and padmount transformers that use vege oil for insulation? Distribution network operators sometimes put them in sensitive areas like wetlands, so if it blows up, there are no hydrocarbons to contaminate soil & water. I think they paint the pole-tops green from memory. Anyway, it would be interesting to get hold of some of that oil and see if it is any good for making bio or for WVO. Sorry, probably off the topic..
                              3DB
                              1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
                              1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
                              1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
                              @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
                              @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X