Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shitbox Rally October 2019

Hello all,

I have been wanting to do the Shitbox Rally for years and the death of my father in August this year at the age of 63 from prostate cancer, coupled with the death of a good friend in September at the age of 56 from bowel cancer has prompted me to make it happen sooner rather than later. My younger brother and I have formed a team called ‘Third Degree Burns’ and are confirmed as entrants for the Spring 2019 rally. The main object is to raise money for the Cancer Council, but also have a good time driving dodgy old cars through the outback.

Like you all, being an avid biofueler, I would really like to avoid using a petrol-powered vehicle for this trip so am on the lookout for a diesel vehicle that will cover the 4,000 + km distance over dirt roads from Melbourne to Townsville via Birdsville. The catch is that it must be 2-wheel-drive and not be valued at more than $1,000 (excluding tyres & rego).

Ideally I’d love to get hold of a diesel ute or van 1989 or earlier so I can put it on NSW Historic Vehicle rego ($50/year vs $1,000 for normal rego) and strap two 44 gallon drums full of bio / WVO to the back. But I am open to suggestion.

If you have, or know of a vehicle within reasonable distance of Sydney or Brisbane (where my brother lives) that we can get roadworthy and its total value not be deemed to be more than $1,000 (excluding rego & tyres), I’d be keen to hear about it. A pretty tall order, I know.

Also, if anyone would like to sponsor us, I would be very grateful as we have to raise at least $5,000 to participate. All donations over $2 are tax deductible. You can find our donation page here:

https://2019spring.shitboxrally.com....d-degree-burns

Any questions – please fire away!
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Re: Shitbox Rally October 2019

That sounds like a fantastic time to be had!

I just did a quick search and carsales comes up with zip. BUUUUUT, if you broaden the search to 4wd's you get very close to the money. I would think if you took the front prop shaft out, you would pass the rules ok??? thoughts??

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
      if you took the front prop shaft out, you would pass the rules ok??? thoughts??
      I doubt it would fly as you'd still have an unfair advantage with extra ground clearance + limited slip diff + low range.

I should at least ask the question though. It sure would make things easier!
      3DB
      1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD

Comment

I couldn't believe what was available for sub $2000 in diesel 4WD. damn, there is some great little bush bashers on there. If you do find one and can pass the rules, belt it up a bit so it does look like a real basher, as I reckon you would cop some heat from the other contestants. some of them look bloody comfortable.

Comment

$1k

2007 Peugeot 307 XSE HDi Auto
          189,000 km
          Wagon
          Automatic
          4cyl 2.0L T Diesel
          Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
          https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-5706053
          Harvey
          1983 BJ42 Landcruiser (sold)
          1997 C250TD Mercedes-Benz 60,000 km on wvo

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
            $1k

2007 Peugeot 307 XSE HDi Auto
            A Pug with a cracked head might be the only thing that fits in this price bracket. I'm open-minded.

Has anyone managed to successfully run a HDi Pug on bio for any length of time? I recall SmithW had one a while back.

I might have trouble fitting 2 x 44's in the back though.
            3DB

Comment

Hi 3DB, been running several Peugeot 806 2.0 HDI's on 100% bio for many years. Those engines seem to love it.

Comment

All fuel considerations aside, that Pug does not look very capable of river crossings :-) I had a quick look around on google and there seems to be a bit of rough terrain along the way. I used to have a Volvo V70, absolutely loved it, unfortunately it was build for European cities and highways. The suspension and engine mounts didn't last too long on these rather average road around here. Also the oil filter tends to sit rather low, not sure what the situation is with the pug. Just a thought.
                1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

So are there no roadworthy 2 wd diesel utes for that price. Maybe NSW yearly roadworthy checks have sent them all to the wreckers. I'm sure there would be plenty here in SA. Rough old farm Utes which if they have stayed registered and the drivers haven't attracted the law with their driving just keep plugging on. Old Tritons Rodeos and Hiluxes.
                  Johnnojack
                  4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                  Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

A Japanese ute is definitely the go, but plenty of people have done these rallies in the past in Toyota Camrys and other front-wheel-drive imports.

There are plenty of cheap Pugs out there and if I could get some fuel delivered to strategic locations, it would probably do the job.

Smithy - what are your key tips for running bio in a HDi Pug?
                    3DB

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
                      So are there no roadworthy 2 wd diesel utes for that price. Maybe NSW yearly roadworthy checks have sent them all to the wreckers. I'm sure there would be plenty here in SA. Rough old farm Utes which if they have stayed registered and the drivers haven't attracted the law with their driving just keep plugging on. Old Tritons Rodeos and Hiluxes.
                      Johnno - I think you have summed it up well. Any old utes in NSW are subject to annual inspections, so are probably in a lot better condition, on average, than in states where annual inspections are not required, therefore, fetch a lot more money. I've seen a couple of ok ones in VIC & QLD, but they get snapped up pretty quick. I have alerts but up on Gumtree and & Car Sales so I can get onto them quick, but pretty tough if they are interstate. Keep your eyes peeled!
                      3DB

Comment

I might have found my Shitbox.

My grandad bought a Peugeot 405 SRDT brand new back in 1993 (I think) and is looking at trading in on a Mazda 2 and they are offering about $900 on the trade.

It isn't a ute, but it meets all the other criteria.....except it isn't really a shitbox - it is pristine with less than 130,000 km on it with full service history - but it is still worth nothing secondhand, so I guess it ticks the box. I'm pretty sure he had to have the IP rebuilt back when everyone did upon introduction of low sulphur diesel, so hopefully Viton seals went in then.

And since it uses less than 6 L/100km (I think he said he got more than 1,000 km out of a 60 L tank once) I could probably just load the boot up with 20L or 25L (if the boot is tall enough) cubies and have enough to cover the 3,600 km. That would be about 8 x 20 L cubies + the 60 L tank full. If I can go to 25L the 25% extra volume should give enough buffer for increased fuel consumption. I recall it has a pretty big boot that should accommodate a load of that size and only be the equivalent of 2 adult passengers in weight. The back seat can take the swags and a few changes of clothes.

What do you reckon?
                        3DB

Comment

As you will be doing a lot of dirt roads I'd be cautious about excessive weight behind the back wheels. I'd go for 2 cubies in the back seat foot wells and 2 maybe 3 in the front of the boot. That way you will still have some decent handling and not rip out the rear end on the first dip you overcook. We filled up 10 cubies and our 40litre tank at Cloncurry yet still managed to get the Jackaroo 1850ks to Adelaide via the Birdsville track without refuelling again.
                          Johnnojack
                          4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                          Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Good tips, Jonno. Thanks.

My brother picked up the car today. It sounds a bit rougher than I remember, but should do the job.... it is nearly 25 years old I suppose. I daresay it is going to look a lot rougher once we are done with it.

I'll see if I can post some pics, though I don't like my chances based on recent attempts.

If anyone is interested int he route, you can see it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o899duwrt...5NC_Si_5a?dl=0
                            3DB

Comment

Hello Team,

The Rally is fast approaching- just over 2 months away now. I’m heading up to Brisbane on 22 August to pick up the Peugeot and drive it back down to Sydney. I think I’ll do this part on Dino as I’m not sure I want to be dealing with filter blockages on the side of the road in an unknown vehicle of 25 year vintage that has never had biofuels in it before, as much as it pains me to buy fuel at a servo.

ive made a Facebook page if you are interested in following

https://m.facebook.com/thirddegreeburns2019
                              3DB

Comment

Working...
                              X