Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions WVO mid north coast nsw

Hi folks in WVO land.

I live on the Lovely mid north cost of NSW near Bulahdulah and looking for a supply of WVO.My fish and chippy has gone contract.I am willing to go to
    Newcastl if need be.Any contacts would be helpfull.

I ran a Pugeot 505 td for many years and have in the last few years gravetated to Ssangoyong Musso's 2006 mod 2.9 td. Great vicheles by the way for WV. It is my second sammi. I am trying to find which Mercedes car /Van they put these 2.9td engines into.Any body have any ideas.

I have read on Mercedessource web site in the USA that running WVO I should change the lift pump after about 10000k presume they get tired.I hav'nt noticed any lack in power yet,not that they have a lot! Has anybody heard of this?

Also a source of carbon reemers in Oz.I am about to replace my injectors and glowplugs and I belive the Gp's get carboned up with the running of veg.

Thanks for a great and helpful community.

Shipo.........If your not on the edge your not close enough
    Keep on pugging :)

Re: A couple of questions WVO mid north coast nsw

Originally posted by shipo View Post
    Hi folks in WVO land.

I live on the Lovely mid north cost of NSW near Bulahdulah and looking for a supply of WVO.My fish and chippy has gone contract.I am willing to go to
    Newcastl if need be.Any contacts would be helpfull.

I ran a Pugeot 505 td for many years and have in the last few years gravetated to Ssangoyong Musso's 2006 mod 2.9 td. Great vicheles by the way for WV. It is my second sammi. I am trying to find which Mercedes car /Van they put these 2.9td engines into.Any body have any ideas.

I have read on Mercedessource web site in the USA that running WVO I should change the lift pump after about 10000k presume they get tired.I hav'nt noticed any lack in power yet,not that they have a lot! Has anybody heard of this?

Also a source of carbon reemers in Oz.I am about to replace my injectors and glowplugs and I belive the Gp's get carboned up with the running of veg.

I am another Musso owner. I purchased it a week ago, but had not driven it much due to 5 dead GPs. The GPs arrived in this morning's mail, so I replaced all 5 GPs in my Musso today. Normally I would only replace the faulty one, but all 5 were dead.
    Have you tested your GPs? It is easy to do, use a multimeter and measure the resistance between ground and each of the 5 sockets in the connector of the GP relay. Resistance should be less than 5 ohms. This is not totally conclusive as it does not confirm the GP gets to red hot, but it is really easy to do without removing the GPs.
    GPs burn off any carbon during the pre-heat process, so are not affected by running on WVO. A poor injector spray can cause GP failure on that cylinder.
    Glow plugs for the Musso are only $60 for 5 including postage from within Aust (1 week delivery) or $35 from UK including postage if you are happy to wait an extra week or 2.

I cannot see why you would need to replace the IP every 100000km. I have never heard of this before.
    Why is this recommended? What vehicles is this recommended for?
    I have done well over 100 000km on WVO in my 300D and there is no change in performance.

Is there a reason you plan to change your Injectors?
    Injectors can be tested and if not working optimally can be cleaned and retested. If still not up to scratch, then the nozzle can be replaced, which will restore factory performance.

Sorry, I can't help with the oil supply (I am in WA).
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony, I believe by lift pump, he means just that - the lift pump (on the side of the injection pump)... not the actual IP (Injection Pump).

10,000 km does sound very severe.
      1987 Mercedes W124 300D
      1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Sorry, my mistake.
        If anything in the lift pump would need replacing they would be the valves (if leaking) or the spring (if weak).
        The spring has the same load on it whether running diesel of WVO. It is compressed by a cam in the IP, pushing the pump plunger, drawing fuel from the tank and then returns under spring pressure, as fuel is used from the output side. If there is no flow, the spring remains compressed.
        Much cheaper to buy the valves from Bosch and replace the ones in the pump, than to replace the whole pump.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

I now have over 150K on my Musso Sports on blended fuel.
          A mate bought one a couple of years after me, has a lot fewer kms and only runs it on dino.
          He has replaced just as many if not more GPs in that time than I have.
          There does seem to be a big range in quality in GPs and going for name brands doesn't guarantee anything.
          I've been using Italian Technos and none have failed as yet.
          Have had no problems at all with the lift pump and don't recall ever seeing any reference to this on the Oz or UK SS forums.
          I guess this would only apply through if you weren't trying to suck honey with the lift pump!

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
            ?SNIP
            I am trying to find which Mercedes car /Van they put these 2.9td engines into.Any body have any ideas.

SNIP

Shipo,
            I believe the MB100 van uses the OM662 engine.
            Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Thanks Tony for your info.
              I am on second Musso now.The first still going well but though a 2nd as a back up.I started to need shocks ect so it became our farm car.
              Regarding the lift pump,I get some info from an American Mercedes site, ttps://mercedessource.com He has a lot of info on older diesel Mercs and one thing he was recomending
              is changing your lift pump occasionally.But you folks think not.I will admit that I dont think I have any problems.I think I am easily influenced.
              Thanks Shipo
              Keep on pugging :)

Comment

Working...
              X