Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a 'new' vehicle to use vegetable oil

I received a PM asking:
    I am trying to get a new car up and running with two tank veg oil and I am wondering if you can explain the criteria to me- that is why one is better for vege oil - regarding indirect or direct injection, inline vs Bosch VE rotary pump, mechanical vs electronic injectors.
    Please read these threads:
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads...place-to-start
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads/4306-Veggy-Oil-and-the-Modern-Direct-Injection-Diesel-What-you-need-to-know

You may also like to check out the sticky:
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads...ed-Cooking-Oil

In answer to your questions (plus one I added):
    indirect or direct injection: Indirect injection is significantly less likely to cause ring gumming and resultant bore wear than direct injection. Direct injection may also have much finer injector orifices than indirect injection injectors (as they make a finer misting of the fuel) and may become clogged by polymerised oil if shut down on oil (hence we recommend using a 2 tank system)
    inline vs Bosch VE rotary pump: Inline pumps are lubricated by engine oil and are generally much more ruggedly built than rotary pumps. The Bosch rotary pumps are stronger than the Stanadyne or CAV pumps, but all are lubricated by the fuel passing thru them. (air in fuel or fuel flow restrictions can cause excessive wear in the pump)
    mechanical vs electronic injectors Mechanical injectors are repairable, electronic ones are generally not and are fairly expensive items.
    Common Rail Common rail engines use extremely high injection pressures and electronic injectors. I know of only very few Common Rail engines which have been converted to run on vegetable oils. Alexander Noac www.greasenergy-shop.com has conversion equipment for common rail engines, and provides ECU mapping to suit vegetable oil fueling.
    I hope this helps,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Converting a 'new' vehicle to use vegetable oil

Hi Tony,

That was me! Thank you : )

I am trying to buy a car (in melbourne) for work- I am a chippy so after a ute and am finding it quite tedious when asking the above questions as people don't generally know.

Would you advise a non turbo engine for a newbie?
    I am looking at this car http://www.melbournecarsupermarket.c...ssis/12755041/

the very annoying sales person sent me this photo Click image for larger version

Name:	injectors.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	94632 when i asked about the above criteria. Is it even possible to answer the above questions from this picture?

I am finding people are just trying to answer what they think i want to hear... and I am not convinced that anyone knows what they are talking about : /

I am keen to get to the bottom of this though as my last darling veggie car died very recently and keen to get back on to the golden stuff!

Comment

The Courier should be OK with veg, they have a rotary pump. The price is a bit steep 8k for a 15 year old 300,000 km vehicle, I think you could do much better. FYI that model Courier, and Mazda were pron to cracking heads.
      Have you considered one of these https://www.carsales.com.au/car/ssangyong/musso/

They are a copy of a merc and a way better than a mazda, and there is one there thats only done 89k for the about the same money as the courier

Comment

Originally posted by smithw View Post
        The Courier should be OK with veg, they have a rotary pump. The price is a bit steep 8k for a 15 year old 300,000 km vehicle, I think you could do much better. FYI that model Courier, and Mazda were pron to cracking heads.
        Have you considered one of these https://www.carsales.com.au/car/ssangyong/musso/

They are a copy of a merc and a way better than a mazda, and there is one there thats only done 89k for the about the same money as the courier
        Hi,

Thanks for the above information : ) I have never heard of Ssangyong... Thanks for the tip i will look into it. Yeah I felt like the above was too expensive also was hoping to barter them down. There are not a lot of cars available in mebourne which are meeting my criteria at the moment.

Thanks again!

Comment

Landcruiser or Hilux - both tried and tested and thrive on veggie oil.
          Mussos (Ssangyong) are OK so long as you dont do a head gasket (which I think they will all do with some "work")
          1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
          1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
          2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Comment

They are not pretty but the Musso Sports dual cab 04-06 (as distinct from the earlier wagons) is ideal for running on waste vege oil (WVO).
            The fact that most people like you, aren't familiar with them and that Ssangyong have had terrible after sales service means that they have low resale values and can be bought cheaply $6K-$9k.
            They run well as they match the favourable criteria listed by Tony above and don't need a two tank system to do so.
            I now have around 160K out of 215K total running on reconditioned waste veg oil simply blended with normal diesel with the addition of a couple of easily installed extra fuel filters.
            In summer when the higher ambient temps make the WVO thinner you can use around 75% WVO with 25% diesel. In winter, less WVO and more diesel. They use around 10lt/100km even when loaded up.
            Smaller ute tub as a result of full size rear seat comparment.
            Using WVO isn't money for jam though! WVO collection, cleaning, empty drum disposal, all occupy space, time, effort and are often messy. Additionally you have more frequent fuel filter and I would argue engine oil changes.
            Operating a vehicle on a waste product does put a smile on your face though despite the negatives. (but not when you have just spilled a 20 lt drum of WVO all over the place.
            Laurie

Comment

Of course the Musso is pretty!!!
              I love my musso.

The earlier musso wagon, if it has the diesel engine, is the same diesel as the one used in the Dual cab minus the turbo so is also suitable for using with SVO.
              I have had one of each.
              The diesel wagon is defiantly under-powered by today's standards

Comment

Ha. yes laurie- The stories i have of oil going everywhere haha!

I am pretty set on a toyota hilux- am very close to purchasing this - if i can get it down to 5.000 ish- https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carr...sel/1146861766

Does anyone have experience with turbos and veg? I would want to run this twin tank like my old 4 runner.

Anj

Comment

Turbos supply air - nothing to do with the fuel system.
                  Therefore no problems with WVO and Turbocharged engines (due to the turbo at least)
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                  X