What is good? Looking for small truck recommendations in 4WD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is good? Looking for small truck recommendations in 4WD

Turns out my present vehicle is not an ideal candidate for conversion, so just wondering what else people have enjoyed success with?

The HJ79/1HZ combo looks popular but I'd like a little more capacity. I probably need the ability to run dino as well. Somewhere around 4t or better and in 4WD.

TIA,

J

Re: What is good? Looking for small truck recommendations in 4WD

Any of the light diesel trucks before 2000 should be good to go. Please refer to this post to determine the suitability of vehicles you are considering.
    You might also consider joining the WARFA. We meet monthly with alternate meetings being a social BBQ. Our next meeting will be in Narrogin on Sunday the 10th June.
    Check out our Facebook page or our web page warfa.asn.au
    If you want to run diesel and have a separate system for veggie oil, then a second fuel tank and changeover switch would be on your wish list too.
    That said, I f I want to run diesel, I just add it to my veggie oil in the main (only) fuel tank. Runs well on either fuel.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks for the reply Tony. I did have a peer through that thread, it was interesting. My folks 6t hino from 2004 looks ok just I'd like 4WD. Maybe an Oka with a 6BTA

Funny question but you didn't have a boat that burnt on the battery charger a few years back now?

Comment

I am happy to say that I did not lose a boat, (I have never owned one), but I did have a fire at home while charging my big home battery bank. Some items were placed on the power cord which over heated and caught fire. No major damage and Insurance company came thru for us.
        Does the Oka have a a Common Rail engine? If not, that should be good.
        You could try a Mercedes 911 4*4, they were used by the Aust Army for a while.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

The OKA was standard with a 4L Perkins and they predate certainly mainstream CRD, I guess they made them between '97 and maybe '05? Certainly very few of the later ones. They were made to try and break the landcruiser stranglehold on mining, and had a 3t payload.

You do see the occasional 911 around, I guess the inter acco 4x or 6x would also be in the realm. Might just be better off with an older canter or the like at least they're newer.

I don't suppose you know of anyone into biodiesel around Gnowangerup? Glad it wasn't your boat and the insurance coughed up in your case.

Comment

Afraid I don't have any contacts in Gnowangerup area. Why biodiesel? Why not veggie oil (possibly with up to 20% ULP or any combination with diesel)? Biodiesel in most cases is not required. For most vehicles it would be cheaper to add a second fuel tank and some changeover valves, operated from the cab. This would allow you to start on diesel, run all day on veggie oil and switch back 5 minutes before turning it off, so that there is plenty of diesel in the fuel pump and injectors for the next cold start.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

I just noticed someone in that area buy a biodiesel processor, and I will be driving down that way the week after.

WVO also looks like a good option but especially after I buy a truck. My folk's truck has some fussy owner and they're unlikely to be too excited about rigging in a second fuel line. I'm in a good area for collection though, maybe I should start stockpiling

Comment

Getting your supplier set up and working with you is a good first step. Don't leave it too long getting the vehicle though.
                You could set up a filtering station so that you have clean oil ready to use, prior to getting your vehicle too.
                Have a look at the "up-flow settling" arrangements that some here use.
                My oil is strained and goes to the bottom of drum 1. The cleanest oil from the top of drum 1, goes to the bottom of drum 2. The cleanest oil from the top of Drum 2 goes to my settled oil drum. From there, I pump into my filtering setup. I have not had a blocked filter (in my filtering setup) since making this up-flow settling station, 6 or more years ago.
                Some people use IBCs in place of 200L drums, some use more than 2 settling containers.

What engine is in your folks Hino. Is it a CRD engine?
                Tony From West Oz
                Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 29 May 2018, 12:10 AM.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

http://www.hino-global.com/products/...ngine_J08.html Their truck is a J08C motor, it's listed as being direct injection but not necessarily a CR DI?

Yes, I sort of noticed that the window for trucks at the best age is a little in the past, in some cases. That might suit me, they will only be a little cheaper too. I did read a little about up-flow settling, those I wasn't sure how facetious the article was when it said that it's good to do, while you work on your centrifuge based system.

Comment

Weirdest thing, I swear I replied to this but it seems to be awol.

My folk's Hino has the J08C motor, it's apparently DI but not CR? http://www.hino-global.com/products/...ngine_J08.html

I get the impression the best window for trucks is passing but that might just mean they're priced right for me too.

I did notice the up-flow settling mentioned in a couple places. I'm not sure how facetiously but someone said it's good to do while you're rigging your centrifuge

I'll do some door knocking around here and see what oils I can find!

Comment

The DI engine would best be converted to a 2 tank system so that the injectors are purged of veggie oil before shut down.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                      X