Fourm is back after being hacked by Syrian "Hactivists"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fourm is back after being hacked by Syrian "Hactivists"

Not sure if many of you saw over the weekend, but the forum was displaying political messages from a Syrian hacking party wanting to spread word of their cause. Sadly they thought that this website would be one of their targets (they've got loads of other sites hacked too - they've been very busy).

The hack was very sophisticated and took advantage of the fact that I had not patched a particular exploit that I didn't think was urgent. (It was and they exploited it!)

It has taken many hours to unpick and clean everything up but I don't think any data has been lost. The main aim of this hack was to spread propaganda, so I'm not really worried about password, email and personal details theft. Nonetheless, I have taken precautions to change all of the passwords used for this site. I would suggest that it is good practise for everybody to make sure that they change their passwords for this site NOW. Also, if you use the same password and username for other sites, then you should change it there too (a word of advice: never use the same passwords on multiple sites, one of them may be hacked one day).

Sorry about the site downtime today, but I have taken my time before bringing the forum back online following removal of the hacks as I wanted to be as sure as I can be that it won't be re-hacked.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Fourm is back after being hacked by Syrian "Hactivists"

Many things in here have been manually repaired, reinstalled etc. There were some people who had problems with the "new posts" link previously. I have tested this and not found any problems, but interested to hear of any other strange happenings.
    Robert
    Administrator
    Last edited by Robert; 15 September 2013, 11:14 PM.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

I have never seen a site with so many problems as this one.... despite how reliable it's said to be.
      I was wondering if the hack may be the end of it. If they were able to get into it to the extent they did, they could have also wiped the lot.
      You just never know what's going to happen next here!

Comment

I take my hat off to you for fixing it so quickly mate. I am sure that was a weekend lost!

To be honest I was worried that it spelt the end for the website. Congratulations and thankyou.

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
          I take my hat off to you for fixing it so quickly mate. I am sure that was a weekend lost!

To be honest I was worried that it spelt the end for the website. Congratulations and thankyou.
          Hats off to you Robert - it is thankless task when you have to recover from something like that and so very frustrating when you have to work through and try to work out how they got in and then close it down.

Craig
          Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
          210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
          Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

Originally posted by peter1 View Post
            I have never seen a site with so many problems as this one.... despite how reliable it's said to be.
            I was wondering if the hack may be the end of it. If they were able to get into it to the extent they did, they could have also wiped the lot.
            You just never know what's going to happen next here!
            And you do not miss a opportunity to mention it, just accept it or leave it be

Thanks Rob for your work!
            1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

as Rob has mentioned a few sites have been hacked and shutdown this last week, 2 of which I visit this one and the arboriste site, you think they would have better, more constructive things to do rather than this kind of vandalism. Top job getting up and running thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bueff View Post
                And you do not miss a opportunity to mention it, just accept it or leave it be

Thanks Rob for your work!
                I second that, how about a positive comment for once Dave, I mean Peter1.
                Good work Rob ,thank you.
                Johnnojack
                4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

I missed all the excitement!
                  Never mind, our reliable forum owner has plugged the holes and pumped the bilge so that we may now continue our voyage.

Thanks Robert.

Tony
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Robert Thank you for your time, patience and knowledge on getting the forum back on line. It is very much appreciated. Thank you again. Cheers Brenden
                    2003 3.2 DiD Pajero Exceed
                    2003 2.8 td Triton Ute
                    2005 1.9 tdi pump deuce Golf

Comment

Hacked again?? By Indonesians?

Comment

Originally posted by 250downunder View Post
                        Hacked again?? By Indonesians?
                        Nah,Don't think so.

Regards,
                        Tony
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

i couldnt get in early yestuday (uk time) so maybe a glitch still.
                          Cheers
                          Nick.
                          Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                          sigpic

Comment

For a few days last week the link that I use was being re-directed to a hackers site - 'Mr. TC' , by memory (which is poor!) It made some reference to being hacked by Indonesians. This occurred over a two or three day period on three different computers or tablets. I was surprised that no body else on the Forum mentioned it so I used a number of different devices attempting access with the same result.

Comment

The site would not load from Sunday night until early last night (Monday night) but I did not see a hackers site or the Indonesians

Comment

Working...
                              X