Can SVO affect injection pump seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can SVO affect injection pump seals?

The Landcruiser is running very well on 100% canola oil and the engine is much happier at higher revs than with petro-diesel.

The only problem is that the injection pump has started to leak. I thought that would be the delayed effect of running on low-sulphur diesel. But the local Toyota dealer reckons the pump needs special seals to withstand the canola oil.

Any thoughts?

Jake
    Toyota 1HZ with Elsbett conversion

Re: Can SVO affect injection pump seals?

First reaction has come in. Elsbett states that in their 25-year experience canola oil normally doesn't damage pump seals.

Maybe the injection pump on the Landcruiser was due for an overhaul anyway after 430,000km.

Comment

good old landcruiser!

Comment

I had no seal issues on the Mazda Capella once the IP was overhauled after leaking badly on diesel at 250 000km, before ever seeing a drop of veggie or biodiesel.
        In one of our Mercedes 300Ds I needed to replace the IP delivery valve seals. Parts cost ~$20, labour $120. Not bad for 300 000km on diesel and 25 000km on veggie.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
          I had no seal issues on the Mazda Capella once the IP was overhauled after leaking badly on diesel at 250 000km, before ever seeing a drop of veggie or biodiesel.
          In one of our Mercedes 300Ds I needed to replace the IP delivery valve seals. Parts cost ~$20, labour $120. Not bad for 300 000km on diesel and 25 000km on veggie.
          Hehe, not much more than a tank full of dino juice
          Cheers
          Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
          1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
          1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Originally posted by bruceT View Post
            Hehe, not much more than a tank full of dino juice
            It was a bit more than that, but I was using biodiesel for the start/stop cycles. Biodiesel sat in the system most of the time, except when I was running on veggie, or the occasions where I forgot to purge
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
              It was a bit more than that, but I was using biodiesel for the start/stop cycles. Biodiesel sat in the system most of the time, except when I was running on veggie, or the occasions where I forgot to purge
              Tony
              I have forgotten to purge on three occasions (yes, you would think that I would have learned a big lesson the first time )

I've found it is not a big issue any more, more of an inconvenience really. All I do now is switch the valve to diesel, and pump the primer a few times. When the see-through hose from the lift pump to the IP shows clear diesel in it, I glow the plugs twice, then it only takes a couple of extra seconds to fire up. A great big cloud of smoke though, which got me some attention in the car park at work
              Cheers
              Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
              1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
              1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Just a quick Question?
                Where is the leak?? I also have a 'Cruiser with a 1HZ motor, I have had, before I converted to SVO, a leak from the top of the injector case. There is a simple plastic/rubber seal, between the top case and the pump body. I was a bit worried about it until I found that for ~$11 I could get a genuine replacement, and a hour or so later, lifted the top unhooked the govener, replaced seal and put it all back together. No more leak.

Remember that there's about 100psi + in the pump casing when over 2500rpms.

Alex

Comment

Working...
                X