TS2 Lister on Biodiesel 10 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2 Lister on Biodiesel 10 years

I have just pulled the heads and barrels off my neighbour's Lister TS2 genset.

It had a blown head gasket and excessive blow by.

I'll not get into the causes of these but can only give my observations.

They have run treated wvo for about 10 years through the engine.

The valves were stripped from the heads, they had excessive wear with the seats in very poor condition and one piston had a broken compression ring.

The alarming part was the buildup of 'carbon' ( or some other gunk) in the ports, the exhaust ports were, conservatively, 80% blocked with the inlet ports not far behind.

The discovery of this material in the inlet manifold was surprising as well.

The results of various external leaks made it very difficult to clean the outside of the engine before disassembly, using everything from hydrocarbon solvents to potassium hydroxide.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Peter
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 1 August 2016, 11:03 PM.

What treatment was done on the oil?

It sounds like it was used for 10 years without much maintenance, as evidenced by the 'external leaks'.
    A scraper, caustic and hot water (use correct PPE) should help clean off accumulated polymerised oil from the engine. Sand / bead blasting would be a last resort, but should remove it from the metal.
    With the valve seats in poor condition, I would expect partially combusted fuel to be present in the manifolds. This could also contribute to wear of the valve stems.
    Are you repairing the engine for him or have you acquired it for yourself?
    Can you post some photos please?
    Regards,
    Tony
    Tony From West Oz
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 1 August 2016, 11:02 PM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Sounds like it had too light a load for much of the time. Constant rpm motors are not good candidates for wvo.
      BTW Tony one thing that grit blasting is not good at is removing grease.
      Tony From West Oz
      Johnnojack
      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Re: TS2 Lister on Biodiesel 10 years

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
        Sounds like it had too light a load for much of the time. Constant rpm motors are not good candidates for wvo.
        BTW Tony one thing that grit blasting is not good at is removing grease.
        Agreed
        Any diesel lightly loaded will glaze bores resulting in high oil consumption. 10 years with low load and maybe little maintenance? Thank the beauty of a Lister!! Would love it as part of an off grid system I'm planning but the dBa would exceed the neighbours patience I think
        Tony From West Oz
        Harvey
        1983 BJ42 Landcruiser (sold)
        1997 C250TD Mercedes-Benz 60,000 km on wvo

Comment

At this point I think it is a case of chicken or egg with regard to the valve damage.

Unfortunately the heads, barrels and pistons have already been sent for repair.

The unit has only been used to charge batteries during inclement weather so the load factor would not be great.

As far as maintenance goes they were meticulous with oil and filter changes but unfortunately are as mechanically minded as a Koala.

For servicing internals it is a case of ' if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

I'm helping them repair it as a good neighbour would, I sourced a top set from http://www.stationaryengineparts.com and they kindly sent a full set instead, the bottom end seems ok and I'm not that keen to put that much work into it as I have enough of my own work to do.

The fuel mix afaik is wvo with methanol and sodium hydroxide filtered and heated etc.

They want to continue using wvo as they have a considerable amount of oil, equipment and effort invested.

I think it will be a case of get it fixed and see what the next 10 years brings.
          Tony From West Oz
          Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 1 August 2016, 11:04 PM.

Comment

OK, sounds like they are running it on biodiesel.
            Well made biodiesel should not cause any ring, valve or other damage.
            What condition are the injectors in? It would be worth having them checked before returning the engine to service.
            Tony
            Tony From West Oz
            Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 1 August 2016, 11:04 PM.
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
              Agreed
              Thank the beauty of a Lister!! Would love it as part of an off grid system I'm planning but the dBa would exceed the neighbours patience I think
              Don't write it off too quickly. There are many ways of silencing one of these master pieces. Most of the noise is from the exhaust. Route that into a burried 44 gallon drum with some bricks or heaps of chicken wire inside does wonders. A little bit of work in the intake and they almost run silent. Searching throu youtube will find you many examples.
              One thing I know that kills the old Lister is running too cold. They should have included a thermostat in the cooling system, probably on the inlet like most engines are these days. Keep the head and block hot.
              Tony From West Oz
              Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 1 August 2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

MMM, looks like we lost my last post, it was referred to the moderator for some reason.
                Tony From West Oz
                Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 1 August 2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bush Mechanic View Post
                  MMM, looks like we lost my last post, it was referred to the moderator for some reason.
                  I haven't seen any moderated posts today.
                  Please try posting it again.
                  Regards,
                  Tony

PS.I have moved this discussion to it's own thread.
                  Tony From West Oz
                  Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 1 August 2016, 11:07 PM. Reason: I have moved this discussion to it's own thread.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Yes thanks, good idea for the new thread and apologies to all if it seemed as though I hijacked the other topic.

When I hit the 'Post quick reply ' button I got a 'popup' saying it was referred to the moderator, dunno.

Bugger, now I'm trying to remember what I posted .

Ah yes, with regard to the valves I guess it is a chicken and egg situation as I'm not qualified to say either way, as for maintenance they are particularly methodical with servicing, oil, filters, etc.( but about mechanically minded as a Koala for anything else.)

The same applies to their fuel production with her having been an industrial chemist, not sure of the exact process but it involves filtering, methanol and potassium hydroxide.

Unfortunately the parts have been sent for repair and no pics sorry.

The loads applied to the genset are only for battery charging when there is inclement weather, which I think would apply to most gensets in an offgrid situation.

I have a lister LD1 'startomatic' 1500W as backup for this very same reason and also a cheapy Chinese 7500W petrol that is used for mig welder, compressor and other heavy loads.

Qwarla, I found the most noise on my LD1 was from induction, I replaced the original oil bath filter with a Donaldson type with a longer induction pipe and the noise reduction was incredible.

Harvey, the bores did not appear to be glazed and there was considerable 'carbon' buildup on the sides of the pistons which gave the initial impression of no lateral movement of the pistons in the bores, we will wait to see the results from the engineering shop with regard to piston wear.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Qwarla View Post
                      Don't write it off too quickly. There are many ways of silencing one of these master pieces. Most of the noise is from the exhaust. Route that into a burried 44 gallon drum with some bricks or heaps of chicken wire inside does wonders. A little bit of work in the intake and they almost run silent. Searching throu youtube will find you many examples.
                      One thing I know that kills the old Lister is running too cold. They should have included a thermostat in the cooling system, probably on the inlet like most engines are these days. Keep the head and block hot.
                      Thankyou Qwarla
                      I have reviewed relevant youtube and yes very happy to find means of quietening these crude beautiful stationary engines!!
                      Harvey

Comment

Well got it back together today, new standard pistons and rings, cylinders were just honed, new injectors and they replaced 2 valves.

Purring like a kitten now and when the load was applied it didn't miss a beat.

Started straight up on bio diesel and no smoke.

Peter

Comment

Well done.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Would love to see a video of it running!
                            But only if that's easy (I am picture etc challenged on these forums so don't waste time if you're same).
                            Great to hear of your success!
                            Kind regards Harvey
                            Harvey

Comment

Going there today to re-tension head and check valve settings, I'll try to remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X