Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toyota estima wont rev

hi every one.
    my estima has just clicked over 300,000 kms about 60 of which have been on bio. today while out shopping with the misses, it decided it would not rev past 1500 rpm, just smoke and miss if you floored it. This came on instantly after it had been parked for 1/2 an hour and the van has run perfectly prior to this. I limped it around to a friends place at a top speed of 50kph in 5th gear and replace the fuel filter, still no change. I put a piece of clear tube on the return line to check for air bubbles but there was barely any fuel coming out of the return line.
    I suspect that there maybe a blockage in the filter under the banjo bolt, but its dark now I will check it tomorrow. Has anyone else got any ideas? It has the ve type pump and there is no electronics connected to the pump.

Re: toyota estima wont rev

Hi Smithw, I had similar probs and it was air. Big pain. Pop the clear hose on the line between the filter and pump to see if it's getting fuel.

Comment

Thanks cade, I've done that the pump doesn't seem to suck fuel, no air in line and nothing much out the return. I removed the banjo bolt and there is no filter in there and no fuel in the pump. I think maybe the ryco fuel filter has burst and dumped rubbish into the pump, jamming up the vains in the low pressure side of the injector pump. any thoughts?

Comment

Ok I got it going again, and this my interest others if you have this problem. The filter has burst letting grit into the injector pump. I removed the inlet banjo and put a cotton bud in there it came out gritty and quite sticky. I then remove the outlet banjo, which has a small metering orifice,and surprisingly a small mesh filter that was clogged up with fibres, grit and crap from the filter. not wanting to remove the injector pump I thought I might flush it out and see what happens. I then got a petrol fuel injection pump and and hooked that up to the inlet of the IP , and put a pipe on the outlet into a bucket. I run meths and acetone through the pump (pumps) for 10 mins, and cranked it over a few times with the stop solenoid disconnected. I then pumped bio back into the injector pump, and reconnected the outlet and fuel lines. It started up and runs fine. I dont think Ill be buying any more ryco filters.

Comment

Excellent outcome. Let's hope that grit hasn't done long term damage to the pump. I've not heard of filters bursting much. Was it an old filter?

Tim
          Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
          12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
          Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
          Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
          Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

about 10 000kms old it gave no warning the van was preforming fine untill this happened.

Comment

Just an update the van is going well, and seems to be quieter than it has been for ages. Just pulled the filter off my 405 pug and had a close look at it. the bio seems to be attacking the glue that holds the top and bottom on, and it just fell to pieces after I got it out. (its a cartridge type filter).
              I again put a cotton bud inside the pump and it seemed quite sticky but no gritty stuff this time. I flushed out the pump with Meths as above, and put a new filter etc, and the pug also runs much quieter, I had noticed that it seems quite rattly lately. I cant tell you the brand of the filter, but it was about 20k old. Ive still got to look at my old hilux, it has an odd ball filter which can be hard to get I will report back when I check it. My bio, is air washed for 3 weeks and stored for 6 months or more before use. Ive not come across this before, maybe Ive been a bit slack about changing filters, or made a bad batch of bio at some stage, not sure why this is become a problem
              smithw
              Last edited by smithw; 12 December 2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

If your reading this thread this may also interest you http://www.biofuelsforum.com/general...tion_pump.html
                this is the 3rd IP that has been repaired by flushing.
                update on my pug, now gets 1000 kms to a tank, up from 900, and the engine has been very quite, more power so Im very happy about that.

Comment

In the weekend my Pug suddenly started surging at idle, bad enough that it was almost stall. The filter is only 2000kms old, and the car has now done 370,000 kms 110 of those on bio. I flushed out the pump again (as above) this time with iso alcohol and it fixed the problem. Pugs have a heated fuel filter im thinking I might remove it and just put a cav filter on it, maybe heating bio in summer is not a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X