need to get a new truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to get a new truck

Alas my 86 toyota 4runner just died... well i mean that i have been quoted 2500 to fix the low compression problem in the third cylinder so am trying to flog it for parts or get it wrecked.

this leaves me needing a new truck. My question:

I will likely get a toyota again (but am open to others) - at what point do engines become too complicated to drive on oil? My previous set up was waste vege oil and diesel in two tanks.

Obviously i want to buy a car that i can run on veg again and am just thinking about engines etc and an easy convert : )

any suggestions for good converts for someone new to veg would be great. I work as a chippy so i need a truck or ute .

thanks

Anj

Re: need to get a new truck

If you had a good run from your Toyota, why not get another one. You know them well and your kit will just bolt up to the new vehicle. You will even have 99% spares from your old car (if you keep it).
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I agree with Tony - keep the the old one for parts if you have space (oh the luxury!).

Or, why not just buy a new engine for it if the rest of it is still ok?

It has a '2L' 2.4 litre in that model, right? One of those Japanese engine importers might have one for less than $2,500?
      3DB
      1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
      1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
      1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
      @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
      @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Thank you both for this insight. I am thinking about doing more research about engine costs and I have spoken to a few different mechanics and am now thinking about engine implant options. But yes you are right re spares. I only have street parking... But i could wrangle something maybe.

Thank you for the feedback.

Comment

Landcruiser - simple strong reliable - heaps of parts available and you can still use most of your existing SVO parts. Alot of them already have 2 fuel tanks or its simple to fit another under the tray.
          1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
          1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
          2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your Toyota 4Runner, but it sounds like it's time for a new truck. Engines are becoming too complicated to drive on vegetable oil. It depends on the model and year of the truck. Some newer engines have more complex systems that may make it harder to convert to run-on vegetable oil. However, many older models are still relatively simple to convert. Buying a truck from another state can be a great option, especially if you're looking for a specific model or year that may not be available in your area. It's also a good idea to request shipping car cross country services.

Comment

Working...
            X