What is Your Computer Download Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Your Computer Download Speed

A few weeks ago, at Telstra's strong urging, I switched my internet over to the nbn. No charge, a free modem (which I did not need nor use) and the plan I was on remained- 50gb download a month
    Apparently, in this type of change over, the default speed that you are put on is "up to" 25mb download

My download speed went from around 12mb on all coper to around 20mb with fiber to the node, with a huge slowdown between about 4:30pm and 9:00.
    I live less than 1km from the post office and the "Node" is just outside my house so I should have very minimal transmission losses.

I recently signed up for Telstra's super duper 1000gb package and did complain about the evening slowdown- even on Sundays!!!

Since then I have kept close track of my download speeds and very rarely does it dip below 20mb. it is usually around 22mb- even during the 4:30pm to 9:00pm period.
    I did some research on this and found that the site I was using to check my download speeds did not always agree with all the other down load test sites.

I think it would be interesting to know what other people are experiencing as far as download speed, service provider type of internet service etc.

These two test sites come recommended on a site I was reading and I find they are in close agreement.
    Give it a try and report your results

http://speedtest.telstra.com/

http://speedof.me/

I just checked my download speed on both sites with the following results-
    Speedofme 22.26mb
    telstra 20.98mb

Re: What is Your Computer Download Speed

I usually use http://www.speedtest.net/

The advantage of this one is you can pick the server to which the test is conducted. If you appear to have slow speeds to a site in a certain country you can do a test to that country to see if it is just their site that's slow.

Both your sites returned about the same results of 11.43Mbs 1.08Mbps

Comment

My nbn F/W speed is 24.47/13/5, I run linux on an Asus laptop and a have unlimited downloads for $70, would never use telstra or any of the other rip off corporations and have a very cheap modem.

Comment

Hi Alga,
        Yes, I would have preferred to have found a provider different from Telstra, however we had 10 months left to run on our current contract and I could not bear the thought of one more month of Foxtel. The 50gb plan we had with Telstra was not sufficient to stream video all month long.

My concern is not the cost of the service, my concern is centered on all the horror stories I read about problems people report concerning their switch to the NBN.
        Unlike some of the Telco's I have used in the past, Telstra has always provided me the service I have paid for.
        So far, my switch to the NBN has be painless and I am receiving the service I am paying for.
        As long as things continue this way I have no problem with the cost of the service.

My Daughter has Fixed Wireless too and she is happy with it.
        Her service provider is iinet
        Who is your service provider

Comment

I'm with "Mate", they are small but have very good service and it never slows down. Changed from 12/1 awhile ago which was great for most things, but not for watching footy or some real CGG as it would break up, but since moving to 25/5, it's been excellent for everything. Don't tell anyone, but yesterday was getting 50/25, after tweaking my linux box, by altering the settings and now it seeks out the fastest DNS and switches when another is faster. Didn't work on 12/1, but works on 25/5 and today am going to set it up to go faster on my old laptop running puppy, to see if it works and then do it on this one.

My techie friend who is a windows techie and showed me how to do this, runs linux for his personal work and says windows throttles your service by over loading it with it's 24/7 data mining.

Gave up telstra about 20 years ago for phone and can't understand why people stick with such rip offs. Have my phone through amysim for the past few years and they are also great, with excellent prices, 12c a minute calls and 12c texts no contract and a year to use your credit. If you use phone internet, they give you 4gig, all your calls and texts for nothing for $39. I only use them for internet when on the road and Mate allows me to put my connection on hold when travelling, so it costs me nothing and just switch on when we get home.
          Alga
          Last edited by Alga; 5 August 2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alga View Post
            Gave up telstra about 20 years ago for phone and can't understand why people stick with such rip offs.
            That is interesting, Telstra has never ripped me off.
            On the other hand 10- 15 years ago we did get ripped off by another telco. That is why we went back to Telstra and they have always provided the service I am paying for so I have never seen any reason to change.

Comment

Tilly, I think Alga was referring to the cost of services thru Telstra. They are usually up to twice the price of other ISP or phone companies for similar level of service. The ONLY advantage of being on the Telstra network is the much greater coverage on their phone network.
              Now ALDI have phone plans using the Telstra network. I am tempted to get on board with them.
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Tony,

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                Tilly, I think Alga was referring to the cost of services thru Telstra. They are usually up to twice the price of other ISP or phone companies for similar level of service.
                I have done a lot of research lately and I know that Telstra is not the cheapest.
                I do not believe I ran across any service provider who would provide 1000gb at "up to" 25/5 + all national phone calls for $50 a month. I do not remember any provider even coming close to that.

It is true that a number of providers give "unlimited" data for home NBN internet, but unless you are downloading movies 24/7, for all practical purposes 1000gb is "unlimited" data.

I do have a pre-paid mobile phone with Telstra. I pay $100 a year for the service and never use up all time.
                While I have never checked, I probably could get a cheaper service from another provider. The concern is that while Telstra mobile works when I travel all over the countryside, many of the other providers do not.
                At my age I would rather pay $100 for a mobile phone that will connect to the phone system whereever I am than $75 for a mobile that only works within 15km of Paradise.

Let us know what the cost of the Aldi phone is and how it works.

Comment

Tilly,
                  I will do my research again, the research on which I based that statement is about 18 months old.

Tony
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony, you are right about cost, as musicians, we travel about 9 months of the year and it has been quite a few years since telstra has had the best coverage.

Amysim uses optus and there are many places where you get optus coverage and not telstra, yet to find a place where there is no optus and just telstra in the last 5 years. Many places in Tas you get better coverage and throughout NSW/Vic there is much better optus coverage than telstra. Used to carry a telstra phone through Southern phone services because of the low coverage of others, but that changed years ago and got to the stage where we never used the sth phone, so dropped it and save a lot of money over a year.

Unlimited downloads for $60 means you never have to worry about doing anything on line and if you have a modern computer system and not one based in the last century, you can get an excellent internet service way above anything telstra or optus will offer you, for less than half the price and rare drop outs.

On the road our costs go up, phone and internet cost us $30 a month for all calls/texts/5gig and we can roll over the data. That is 3 people using the net on the band phone, personal phones run into about $30 a year.

Comment

Hi Alga,

...if you have a modern computer system and not one based in the last century, you can get an excellent internet service way above anything telstra or optus will offer you, for less than half the price and rare drop outs.
                      Now you have my attention.
                      Please tell us who offers this service way above anything Telstra or Optus will offer for less than half the price

Comment

Hi Alga,

Tony, you are right about cost, as musicians, we travel about 9 months of the year and it has been quite a few years since telstra has had the best coverage.
                        These two maps showing Telstra and Optus mobile Coverage does not support your statement, especially in rural areas.

Comment

I have been reading that you probably loose some download speed using the wifi which is what I use.

So I did a download test on the two sites I listed using the WiFi and then using an Ethernet cable.

Telstra Download test site
                          Using the wifi gave- 21.56gb and 22.12gb
                          using the ethernet cable- 23.73gb and 23.61gb

Speed of me Download test site
                          Using the wifi gave- 23.73gb and 23.13gb
                          Using the ethernet cable- 25.77gb and 25.06gb

So in my situation the wifi does create a small loss in download speed.
                          But it is not convenient to be plugged into the modem so I did hook back up to the wifi

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
                            Hi Alga,

Now you have my attention.
                            Please tell us who offers this service way above anything Telstra or Optus will offer for less than half the price
                            Linux.

Couldn't care less what the maps say, they are rarely accurate and what counts in reality, is actual personal experience on the road throughout Aus. When you travel and play in small rural Aus towns all year round and have done so for decades, you soon get to see the difference between the claims and the facts. Lots of telstra coverage requires an aerial as is shown in the maps, or are relay towers.

Where we live, telstra claims to have the best coverage and there is a telstra tower within site of our home and within the town precincts, which telstra always refers it's clients here to. However that tower is a relay to Port Arthur to cater for the million tourists going there, not a distribution tower. We regularly have people drive up the Mountain past our place to get a signal from Hobart and it's the same in most rural Aus. Many of telstra towers are relays to regional big towns where they make money and they bypass small communities. Now the NBN has put up a tower here, most people are ditching telstra because they can get a better more reliable service much cheaper through the small providers and Optus has excellent coverage here.

Same with windows, looks pretty, if you like buying an empty box and theb having to pay to be spied upon, constantly spammed, hacked and have you data stolen by all microsoft crony companies, go for it. But they are still using last century coding to protect their useless product and it is so intrusive and controlling, just a waste of money. That's why their upgrades etc are huge and you can't stop them or pick what you want updated.

Whilst linux updates are small, you can choose what and if you want to do an update. Then you have a choice of hundreds of different linux flavours and specific interest distributions, all free and very well supported. They are just a few advantages of a very superior computing system, rock solid reliability, if something locks or a program crashes, you lose nothing and a reboot bring you back to where you were without loss. The big thing with linux, is it is almost impossible to hack because unlike windows, for a hacker to get beyond the desktop into the back room of a linux distro, is almost impossible. That's why all NASA off planet computing is linux, all the big scientific, military organisations and close to 90% of world servers are linux. If you do the real sums and not just rely upon the corporate propaganda, you will find linux has close to 98% of all computing on the planet

Linux which is state of the art and light years ahead of windows and apple, is totally free, has tens of thousand of up to date excellent software, gives you freedom, full control and complete security. Plus its software is very superior to anything else, but may not look as good as proprietary junk. If you have a problem, or need a specific setup or program, you can get instant help on line and fix it within a couple of minutes most times.

It's all about freedom of choice, economic slaves stick with the costly useless propaganda they are fed, whilst real people live in the reality and don't get sucked in by the bullshit and lies of greedy corporations.

No different to using veggie oil, the majority scoff, whilst those living in reality, enjoy cheap fuel and save a fortune. I know for a fact we save many thousands for fuel each year and only have to buy some startup dino when we run out of BD on the road, as one can only carry so much in the bus considering we carry over 1000lt of VG with us and for big trips a fuge in the trailer. As you would know, 1lt of dino starts and stops your vehicle each day and that's not a big cost compared to running the crap constantly.
                            Alga
                            Last edited by Alga; 6 August 2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Hi Alga,

Linux.
                              You seem to be confused.
                              Linux is a computer operating system in the same way Windows and MacOs are operating systems.
                              Linux is available free and has been around since 1991.

Linux operates the computer, that is all it does. Linux is not an internet service provider such as Telstra or Optus and has nothing to do with presenting the internet to the computer..
                              They are not at all the same thing
                              Linux performs a totally different function than Telstra and Optus

Comment

Working...
                              X