Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ssangyong Musso

Hi and thanks again Tony.
    I had a couple more questions, is the thermostat in the top hose or the bottom hose? And i have an oil leak coming out of the back of the head near the exhaust , it doesn't appear to be the rocker cover, is that the usual place for them to leak? or does it have something else in that location ive missed that leaks.
    thanks

Comment

The oils leaks probably your head gasket, get it sorted before you blow it!!! Ask me how i know....
      Grampiansmerc
      Last edited by Grampiansmerc; 16 June 2018, 10:26 PM.
      1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
      1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
      2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Comment

Hi smithw,

Originally posted by smithw View Post
        I had a couple more questions, is the thermostat in the top hose or the bottom hose?
        I have changed my thermostat and could not remember where it is.
        I just had a look and I am pretty sure it is on the side of the engine near the turbo and it connects to the bottom hose. It looks like the temperature gauge sensor is located at the same place

Comment

SmithW, as Tilly has written, the thermostat is in the side of the engine. I do not recall which side of the radiator this is, but it is unlikely the the temperature gauge sender would be located at the coolest point in the engine cooling system.

Treat the oil leak from the rear of the engine as a threat of engine failure

This is the weak spot of the Musso engines (also of the MB140 van which uses the same engine)

BE WARNED!
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I agree - I had a Musso ute go the same way too.
            1987 Mercedes W124 300D
            1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

According to the workshop manual I downloaded last night, The temperature sensor is next to the thermostat.

In the below diagram 11 is the thermostat and no 18 is the temperature sensor

https://www.catcar.info/ssangyong/?l...RlPT0yMA%3D%3D
              tillyfromparadise
              Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 17 June 2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Ok thanks everyone that's quite helpful, looks like ill be pulling the head off at some stage. I got the ute cheap an I knew it had a few issues before i bought it, just another thing to put on the list.

Comment

Ok thanks everyone that's quite helpful, looks like ill be pulling the head off at some stage. I got the ute cheap an I knew it had a few issues before i bought it, just another thing to put on the list.
                  Do it now!! Dont wait. I took mine to a mechanic 3 times to figure out the oil weeping at the back of the engine but they failed to figure it out. Finally it blew, didnt go back to that mechanic - as it buggered the engine...
                  1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
                  1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
                  2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Comment

Thanks Gramplansmerc, Im not driving the ute around just fixing a few issues so I will get to the head gasket eventually. The tubs beat up, it needs new shocks and a couple of ball joints, Its soo gutless, but apparently they are only 88kw , so I will be adjusting the IP. It was never going to be my daily driver just something to take on holiday or weekends. I was look for an older Merc but this came up cheap... so if i don't like it Ill sell it and get my money back. So what happened when the engine blew, did it dump all the oil out the head, or something else?

Comment

Hi all,

Not wanting to derail / hijack the thread here but I've often wondered whether the 5-cylinder OM602 (?) from the Musso would easily adapt to the the Mercedes W123 chassis as a replacement for a blown OM617.

Similarly, would the ALDA IP from a Musso have any interchangeability with the OM617 so that I might have boost compensation on my fuel delivery.
                      3DB
                      1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
                      1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
                      1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
                      @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
                      @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

It would be interesting to compare the mounting flanges.
                        Anyone got an IP from a Musso Sports handy?
                        I can photograph and measure my OM617 IP mounting flange.

I have read somewhere that a Musso engine and transmission was installed in a 300D, but I can't recall when or where I read it.
                        Getting older has its disadvantages!
                        Tony From West Oz
                        Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                        Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 19 June 2018, 01:21 AM.
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

I did notice the pump on the musso, has a lot more electronic crap on the outside of it, and the vehicle has a factory RFID immobilizer, so some research would have to be done on how to bypass the immobilizer system.

Comment

Hi smithw,
                            ...so some research would have to be done on how to bypass the immobilizer system.
                            The immobilizer is a fuel cutoff valve.
                            I removed mine about 5 years ago- Just on spec.

If I remember correctly, the fuel line runs from the fuel filter to the immobilizer and the immobilizer is screwed into the side of the IP with a fuel banjo bolt.
                            Disconnect the electrical wire.
                            Remove the immobilizer from the side of the IP by removing the fuel line going to the immobilizer and unscrewing the banjo fitting running through the immobilizer into the side of the IP.
                            Install an appropriate fuel banjo hose barb in the side of the IP where the immobilizer was screwed in. Join the new banjo fuel fitting to he fuel filter with a longer fuel hose and you are finished.
                            As I recall, you can re-use the banjo fitting on fuel filter.

Very quick and easy and no more immobilizer to go bad at a very inconvenient time.
                            And no one wants to steal Musso's.
                            You can even have extra keys cut. If I am not mistaken, they are Daewoo key blanks

EDIT
                            I just located my immobilizer.
                            I see the banjo bolt running through the immobilizer that holds it onto the IP is of the tamper-proof variety. It is the big flat round thing on the side of the immobilizer.
                            You will need to use vice grips or a chisel to turn the banjo bolt. I do not recall it being any problem to remove.

I see I also left the fuel line connected to the immobilizer and removed the top banjo fitting that screws into the fuel filter to remove the immobilizer.
                            I then slit the plastic fuel line to remove fuel filter banjo from the hose attached to the immobilizer so I could re-use that banjo on the fuel filter.
                            tillyfromparadise
                            Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 19 June 2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Tilly, Even easier: All you need is a bit of fuel hose and a pair of Jubilee clamps to suit
                              • Remove the fuel line from the fuel filter to the immobiliser
                              • Remove immobiliser from IP,
                              • Screw the hose barb into the IP
                              • Join the fuel filter hose barb to the immobiliser hose barb using fuel hose and jubilee clamps.
                              • Bleed the fuel system and start the engine.

Done!

Edit: The immobiliser valve banjo bolt is easy to remove. Just turn the immobiliser valve body anticlockwise using multigrips. This will loosen the security banjo bolt. Then use the multigrips to remove the bolt. Easy peasy.
                              Tony From West Oz
                              Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                              Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 20 June 2018, 10:11 PM.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Hi Tony,

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                                Tilly, Even easier: All you need is a bit of fuel hose and a pair of Jubilee clamps to suit
                                • Remove the fuel line from the fuel filter to the immobiliser
                                • Remove immobiliser from IP,
                                • Screw the hose barb into the IP
                                • Join the fuel filter hose barb to the immobiliser hose barb using fuel hose and jubilee clamps.
                                • Bleed the fuel system and start the engine.

Done!
                                I think that is about what I said, only in more detail.
                                I did omit saying to buy two jubilee clamps to clamp the new fuel line- but that is pretty obvious and you need to let people figure out some of these things for themselves.
                                tillyfromparadise
                                Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 19 June 2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X