Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processing rice bran oil?

Hi there folks.

Just joined these pages after doing a little research into bio diesel and also experimenting with a hydrogen or 'joe cell' to boost engine performance...

Seems like i need to get my hands on some KOH for use as an electrolyte... baking soda is a nono apparantly...

Still a newbie in these endeavors but hungry to learn more.

I work as a chef and go through many litres of rice bran oil a week. Would be awesome to turn this into fuel for my 4wd.

What do i need to begin this process?

Cheers.

Re: Processing rice bran oil?

Concentrate on the biodiesel from your rice bran oil. It will easily give you a fuel you can use in your diesel vehicle.

Leave the "Joe Cell" for when you have plenty of time and money to waste. You should then be able to invest in Brown's Gas and perpetual motion projects.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Yeah cool. The joe cell is bit of fun but maybe will work...

Where would you recommend a complete newbie start off? Can you recommend any recipes or sites with easy to follow directions for biodiesel?

Cheers.

Comment

This site, has lots of good information. Easy to follow and has step by step instructions to help you create your very first mini batch.

Comment

Yeah awesome thats got some excellent info. I especially like the 55 gallon drum for the wash tank and the carboy methoxide mixer system!

I drive a nissan terrano 1990... this should burn the oil no worries?

How do you dispense your biodiesel?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by digitaldirt View Post
            Yeah awesome thats got some excellent info. I especially like the 55 gallon drum for the wash tank and the carboy methoxide mixer system!
            Start small... one liter batches first until you know what you're doing.

I drive a nissan terrano 1990... this should burn the oil no worries?
            You'll probably want to use a blend in Tassie. Low temps cause problems with straight 100% bio... Apparently Rice bran oil has a higher gel point than most common WVO... so you'll def need to blend it.

Not sure about that particular car. Main thing is look for rubber fittings in the fuel system. Bio eats rubber eventually.

How do you dispense your biodiesel?

Cheers.
            In the fueltank?

Properly made Biodiesel = diesel.
            Last edited by kamel; 5 May 2008, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Yeah cool. So i blend it with normal diesel from the pump?

What if i install a fuel heater to heat the biodeisel before it gets sucked into the combustion chamber?

Cheers.

Comment

Digital Dirt you really need to read some more info from this forum please. Please stop posting til you have read more. Biodiesl doesn't require heating, SVO does i think your confusing the two. Plese read more before posting any more as it would be appreciatedby all members. You learn by reading and listening not writing and talking. Welcome to the forum here and please ask lots of questions but try to make them specific as it helps members to answer them propmtly and acurately. i don't intend to offend you just inform you of the correct way to post to assist you in the long run.
                Goodluck. hope you can see where i'm coming from.
                Cheers Nick.
                RODEONICK
                Too Busy To Bio.
                Last edited by RODEONICK; 6 May 2008, 12:07 AM. Reason: Attempted to tone down post.
                Cheers
                Nick.
                Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                sigpic

Comment

What if i install a fuel heater to heat the biodeisel before it gets sucked into the combustion chamber?

Cheers.
                  OMG what engine are you thinking of running this fuel in? The only diesel engine that I know of that sucks the fuel in was make many many years ago and ran at speeds way too slow to be of any use in a car. Also these engines weighed more than the everage 4x4 does today.

Very cold boidiesel will start to turn to gel. The temp that this happens at will depend on the parent oil. The problem is that the fuel filters now block and the engine will not run, so heat would have to be applied BEFORE the filter. But furthermore in very cold contitions it may turn to gel within the fuel tank and not flow out the fuel line at all.
                  So by experimenting and adding ordinary diesel in varying quantities and putting the samples into your fridge you can find how much you need to add.

Comment

Yeah cool i have found lots of helpful info on the topic and reading to digest.

I dont know much about diesel engines which is why mw q's might seem bit silly... but i am a fast learner

In Siberia they have to start a small fire under their fuel tanks to liquefy their diesel... so i figured a small heater might do the trick in Tassie... but first things first!

I have found a source of methanol and been recommended to use Lye instead of potassium hydroxide... going to mix up a test batch in 2 litre soda bottle with fresh oil and take it from there... dont worry i am used to handling hot oil so this will be a breeze... i can borrow gloves and eye protection from work.

Cheers.

Comment

I have been recommended to use Lye instead of potassium hydroxide... Cheers.
                      can you ask him the reasons behind this recommendation?? Most people here i believe would say the opposite. I assume by LYE you mean sodium hydroxide (NaOH) correct???

Cheers mate
                      Cheers
                      Nick.
                      Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                      sigpic

Comment

Maybe because for starter trials, its easier to get small quantities of NaOH than Koh?

Method is the same... and can always switch over when you start doing large batches with a minor adjustment in quantities.

It's a bit much to expect a newbie to buy a 25kg bag of Koh to get started.

Comment

G'day mate,

Your problem with the heating of the biodiesel is exactly as Qwarla said. The biodiesel in the fuel lines and tank freeze overnight and need to be thawed in the morning. A good site to check out for various gel points (point at which biodiesel freezes into gel) of different oils and advice on winterizing your bio is Biodiesel in winter: Journey to Forever. However, I would take most of the info from journey to forever with a bit of caution. Make sure you research else where.

Are you from Hobart? If you ever head up Launceston way I will be happy to show you how to mix a 1L batch up and can offer some advice r.e. upscaling.

Good luck!

Comment

Yeah cool thanks. I will probs have to mix some normal diesel but thats ok. It doesnt freeze where i live but is getting down to around 5 C at nights.

Well i finally got around to a test batch following the Dr pepper method and it emulsified on my 5th wash... i have uploaded a photo of what the mix looks like but cant figure out how to post it here... but it is a white cloudy soapy looking layer under a much less cloudy watery lookin layer...

Anyways...i read up a bit and have mixed back in the methoxide to break the emulsion... but this has made it all emulsified again...feck!

Ill just leave it and see if it seperates again...

Comment

Working...
                            X