Filter blocking in less than 100k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter blocking in less than 100k

Hi all I have a problem on my old nissan td42 I am having issues with me clear plastic prefilter blocking in less than 100 k. I run on a blend of svo and petrol and I have not changed oil supply or filtering system that I have been doing for years. I fitted clear fuel line to see if I could see and gunk and apart from looking fractionally darker it seemed ok. I have just had car stop and I fitted another clear filter and when I primed it i saw small pieces of solid matter going into the prefilter....it would appear I have some crap in the tank....question apart from draining which I plan on doing today is there any way to clean out tank without having to drop it out.....I am assuming I have some form of bug in tank . I was away for three months recently and the car just sat....any ideas?

Re: Filter blocking in less than 100k

Had a bit of a problem like this years ago, when using petrol as a blend, but don't think it was the petrol blend or whether it contributed to the problem. Never had a problem since switching to dino as a thinner and make sure the vehicle tanks are full at all times, especially when sitting for awhile not being used.

You can drain the tank from underneath the car, I flushed it out twice with dino and it worked. Is your fuel return looped, found that can cause problems in the tank, with warm fuel coming into a cold tank and starting a reaction. Now always have full tanks in everything and all my lines are looped.

Comment

grytvikken,
      1. If the tank was left for 3 months, it may have succumbed to some microbial activity, causing the issues you are now having. Alga's advice is spot on, if leaving the vehicle for a long period, ensure the tank is full to minimise problems later.
      2. Flush the tank with ULP or diesel until no further crud comes out, then close it up and put no more then 10 litres of diesel into the tank and drive it around, taking all the L & R turns you can. Come home and drain again. If more crud came out, then repeat the exercise as much as needed until the crud stops coming out.
      3. See how that goes. :cross fingers:
      4. If the problem keeps happening, after cleaning the fuel tank using the procedure above, then you will need to remove the tank and clean it thoroughly. There may be a chemical cleaner that is recommended to remove the microbial activity. You may need to wash the tank with water and then dry it out by sloshing metho or acetone around in it.

Any fuel which is removed from the tank should not be re-used.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Alga View Post
        Had a bit of a problem like this years ago, when using petrol as a blend, but don't think it was the petrol blend or whether it contributed to the problem. Never had a problem since switching to dino as a thinner and make sure the vehicle tanks are full at all times, especially when sitting for awhile not being used.

You can drain the tank from underneath the car, I flushed it out twice with dino and it worked. Is your fuel return looped, found that can cause problems in the tank, with warm fuel coming into a cold tank and starting a reaction. Now always have full tanks in everything and all my lines are looped.
        Unfortunately, the way it is written, it is confusing. If it is not looped, you will get hot fuel returning to the tank.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Thanks everyone sounds like its going to be a drama

Comment

Not really a drama, just a learning experience.

Thanks Tony, didn't notice that stuff up. Looped fuel returns work so much better with VO, especially if you have an engine that has a big fuel flow through it and the series 80 has a 10mm fuel line. VO can slow that down and you lose power, once it's looped, no problems.

Comment

Hi all many years ago i wrote a story on the growth in the tank of a NISSAN GQ Patrol where i pulled out with my hands a bucket of crude from the tank walls i still have the car and no longer have the problem you can access the tank from the top through the fuel tank sender hole which is on the right hand side under the floor mat the hole is very large take the sender out and you can scrape the walls of your tank with your hands dont use a scraper just your fingers and wear gloves and remove the crud once done you should not have any further problems there seem to be some sort of reaction between the oil and the metal in the tank once it has gone a film stays on the tank but the growth of the crap stops. I did put in a long range tank a couple of years ago and before installing used POR 15 i checked the tank recently and appears to be no problems when i pulled the old tank out it was still clean but had a thick coating like black tar covering the walls if you go through old posts you may find the story with a Heading of Fuel tank crud also your fuel tank sender unit has a screen filter on it that is your supply line or pick up it may also be blocked in my car i removed this because you dont wont to eep pulling it out and cleaning it out hope this helps you
              Last edited by limoman; 5 January 2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by limoman View Post
                Hi all many years ago i wrote a story on the growth in the tank of a NISSAN GQ Patrol where i pulled out with my hands a bucket of crude from the tank walls i still have the car and no longer have the problem you can access the tank from the top through the fuel tank sender hole which is on the right hand side under the floor mat the hole is very large take the sender out and you can scrape the walls of your tank with your hands dont use a scraper just your fingers and wear gloves and remove the crud once done you should not have any further problems there seem to be some sort of reaction between the oil and the metal in the tank once it has gone a film stays on the tank but the growth of the crap stops. I did put in a long range tank a couple of years ago and before installing used POR 15 i checked the tank recently and appears to be no problems when i pulled the old tank out it was still clean but had a thick coating like black tar covering the walls if you go through old posts you may find the story with a Heading of Fuel tank crud also your fuel tank sender unit has a screen filter on it that is your supply line or pick up it may also be blocked in my car i removed this because you dont wont to eep pulling it out and cleaning it out hope this helps you
                Thanks for your idea will give it a try .... i just need motivation

Comment

Originally posted by grytvikken View Post
                  Thanks for your idea will give it a try .... i just need motivation

Your Moivation will be your Motorvation.
                  Jump in an check it out. Better to have a vehicle which is reliable than one which blocks the fuel filter every 100K

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                  X