Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• by product/ glycerine

any ideas what to do with the by product/ glycerine
    Using NaOH, i was making fire bricks with wood shavings, but since using KOH, the glycerine stays liquid, so no more fire bricks

Re: by product/ glycerine

I still make my fire bricks using sawdust and biodiesel byproduct (from KOH catalysed reactions).
    Just make sure it is a stiff paste before packing into containers.
    I use 1 litre (waxed cardboard) milk cartons as containers and pack the mix in using an empty stubby.

Burn well with open air flow, providing lots of heat to our home.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony can you please elaborate with some piccies and more details, rations etc. Do you pack it with dust first then pour the gly in or pack the gly soaked woodchip in?
      Joe Morgan
      Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
      http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
      SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Joe, there is a good pictorial here. I have also used this method with KOH glycerin, and it works well but it takes me a while to build up a collection of milk cartons!

I clean the milk cartons out, open the tops up, fill with sawdust, then pack it down with a stubbie. Then when I have a box full of cartons I pour the glycerin in. It takes a while to soak through so I keep topping up until they are full. I then chuck them on a roaring fire and they chuck out lots of heat.

Oh and don't pre-wash your bio if you are going to burn the glycerin!
        pangit
        Last edited by pangit; 28 August 2008, 09:59 AM.
        Sean

Comment

I did an assignment last year on the uses and production of acrolein, which included a hazard assessment.

Acrolein is highly flammable, and would be unlikely to be produced in a fire and to subsequently survive the flames...

I have composted the byproduct before (liquid). It works very well with something acidic that is high in nitrogen, like coffee grounds. Just don't add too much.
          Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
            SNIP

As you don't make Biodiesel Tony, Do you have to buy the glycerin you get as well as your oil?
            Actually David,
            I was contacted by the local Council who were asked by a widow, whether the tip would take the biodiesel byproduct her deceased husband had accumulated from others who made biodiesel, in order to make a killing making soap from it.
            They know me well from my community contributions and I was able to help them, in a couple of ways:
            Firstly in advising that the byproduct was 100% biodegradable and secondly that I was prepared to take the byproduct from the widow for free, and advised what I was proposing to use it for. They had no issues with my proposed use as I divulged the byproducts of combustion to them, along with the measures I had in place to store the byproduct and in the combustion of said mixture of byproduct and sawdust.

I also know a number of people who do make biodiesel and can obtain any amount of methanol from them for my purposes. I have not yet needed to avail my self of their generosity as I am only half way through the 400 litres of byproduct that the Council referred me to.

Thank you for the concern? you express on behalf of your fellow forum members.

Regards,
            Tony
            ps, you still haven't replied on Helga's performance, I believe you are disappointed with her performance in traffic. Has it improved yet?
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Acrolein has been discussed previously, and the conclusion was that if the fire is sufficiently hot then the glycerin will burn cleanly and not emit it (as Troy says). Hence my previous comment about putting them into a roaring fire.

It's also worth pointing out that smouldering wood gives off all sorts of noxious fumes from being only partially burned anyway.
              Sean

Comment

Yes, and the majority of acrolein produced around the home is probably from burning sausages on the barby...

Comment

I think that people often overestimate the money that can be derived from the sale of byproducts.
                  but anyways glycerine is the byproduct that can be derived and it sells ggod in the market

Comment

welll think about how crap WVO vehicles are if they are buring this glycerol crap off. the crub they are pumping out..
                    Cheers
                    Nick.
                    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi, if anyone is interested in my glycrine by product from koh let me know. i have plenty of wood to not need it, nor interest to do anything else with it. delivery an option.

Comment

Working...
                      X