Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Generator Exhaust Through a Steel Wall

Thanks guys,

The generator is only as a backup for our off grid solar system, to run dryer and hot water system during long rainy periods and to cook my bio of course. My main concern is that I am cooking bio usually on a Sunday. Last thing I want is being the new kid and by far the youngest in our street and to upset the neighbors by having the geny thumping all day on Sunday.
    Given we are on large residential lots, there is always someone moving the lawn with a ride on or harassing a tree with a chainsaw, so total silence is not just impossible but also not needed. As I stated previously, reducing it to 25 db at 10 m and I am happy.
    I will move the genie in its new home next week and will report back results.

Thanks again for the feedback and thoughts!
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
      Valid point about the heat from the engine block. end result is big holes in the walls. sound is going to be difficult to cut down, especially at night when you just want to run a few things (telly, lights etc), but maybe you could hook up a battery system for that occasion.

good luck with it Jens, you have an interesting project on your hands. keen to see your end result.
      Case, You can attenuate sound from the engine by using sound absorbent materials, about 500mm from opposite the opening, parallel to the wall. eg a flat panel of ply, covered in carpet, will significantly attenuate the sound from the opening. You can 'tune' the sound intensity by moving the panel in / out and angling it to minimise the sound in particular directions.
      Beuff,
      Do you have access to a sound pressure meter? This would be useful in positioning any sound absorbent material and checking how well it works.
      We look forward to your next message.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
        Beuff,
        Do you have access to a sound pressure meter? This would be useful in positioning any sound absorbent material and checking how well it works.
        We look forward to your next message.
        I only have an app on my phone which currently tells me that the generator is at 70 db, which is the rough equivalent to a loud conversation. I'll report back results once its in the container. Will make the decision on wall or roof opening for the exhaust there and then. I guess if I weld a 100mm pipe through the wall, the 51mm exhaust should be okay with exhaust wrap on it to seal it off and prevent noise transfer.

Again many thanks for the input everyone! there is just nothing to replace shared knowledge!
        1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

Comment

Well, I have manged to get the generator in the container, the exhaust is going through the wall and a fan is connected to the air outlet. After the first test run it was a rather disappointing result, the generator was still noticeable at 40 m distance. It's more the vibration than the actual engine noise. I then put the rubber mounts under it and it improved the situation dramatically. Now one can barely hear the generator running at 40 m and the exhaust and extractor fan are the only way to tell that its running.
          The first big run is planned in a few to cook the next batch of bio. I will report back how that is going.
          Have a good week everyone and thanks again!

Comment

You need to check the temperature in the container when you have the big run, so you know whether you need more ventilation. You do not want the battery room heating up as it will impact on the electronics and battery performance. It may be beneficial for Lead - Acid cells to be kept above 0°C though.

What battery technology do you have?
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
            X