Musso Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musso Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 tank

I know a few of you have Musso Sports (LOL) 2.9 L turbodiesel vehicles.
    The fuel gauge on mine had always been slow to change (I could go 100km before it got from empty to full after refueling), but now it has only moved from full to 3/4 tank after 580km and the low fuel light has come on.
    After refueling this last time, the gauge has not moved in 250km of driving. It is still at 3/4 full.
    I am assuming that the tank sender is doing the right thing (at least as far as the low fuel light is concerned).

Is this a known issue with the Musso?
    Has anyone had a similar issue and remedied it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Musso Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 tank

Hi Tony,

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Is this a known issue with the Musso?
    Has anyone had a similar issue and remedied it?
    This is a known issue.
    My fuel gauge will usually either works or not work.
    Most often, when I fill up, the fuel gauge stops working for a while and goes to E.
    Then it will start working but might work off and on for a few hours before finally settling down and working- until the next fill up.
    Sometimes it stops at a lesser reading than what is in the tank but not E.

I have never seen it stop at a reading higher than the amount of fuel in the tank.

Also be aware that the central locking randomly locks the doors whether you are in the car or not, especially if it is/ has been raining.

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
      Hi Tony,

This is a known issue.
      My fuel gauge will usually either works or not work.
      Most often, when I fill up, the fuel gauge stops working for a while and goes to E.
      Then it will start working but might work off and on for a few hours before finally settling down and working- until the next fill up.
      Sometimes it stops at a lesser reading than what is in the tank but not E.

I have never seen it stop at a reading higher than the amount of fuel in the tank.

Also be aware that the central locking randomly locks the doors whether you are in the car or not, especially if it is/ has been raining.
      Yes, I found out the hard way about the central locking issue. Now if I get out of the car, unless I have the keys on me, I open the drivers window.
      I have been reading on the Musso forums about the gauge issue, but most seem to be related to salt related corrosion in England rusting the pipes and stuff at the sender.
      I will remove the sender unit at my next opportunity and see what happens with it at different float levels (Resistance, Voltage and gauge reading).
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Tony, have the same fuel gauge problem in all my vehicles running on VO. Tried everything, replaced senders and cleaned them up, but over time they go back to acting weird and can go from full to empty and anything in between. I make sure the tanks are full and watch my mileage, ran out in the 1hdt once already, luckily just switch to the second tank and off it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Alga View Post
          Tony, have the same fuel gauge problem in all my vehicles running on VO. Tried everything, replaced senders and cleaned them up, but over time they go back to acting weird and can go from full to empty and anything in between. I make sure the tanks are full and watch my mileage, ran out in the 1hdt once already, luckily just switch to the second tank and off it goes.
          Thanks. I have had issues with the Mercedes fuel sender, with veggie oil, but they just stopped working (open circuit), not got stuck.
          The fact that the low fuel lamp is working indicates that the float is not stuck.
          Only one thing to do is to pull the sender out and test it to see what happens as per mu previous post.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Hi Tony,

The fact that the low fuel lamp is working indicates that the float is not stuck.
            I had forgotten they had a low fuel light. Mine has not worked for years.
            Other things that have not worked for a long time are the front interior lights and the adjusters on the exterior mirrors.
            The rear cigarette lighter never worked.

I am afraid you will struggle if you want to keep all the electrics working

Comment

Hi Tony,

I had forgotten they had a low fuel light. Mine has not worked for years.
              Other things that have not worked for a long time are the front interior lights and the adjusters on the exterior mirrors.
              The rear cigarette lighter never worked.

I am afraid you will struggle if you want to keep all the electrics working
              Tilly,
              I don't need everything working but I do need a reliable fuel gauge.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

I've noticed the fuel gauge on my 2007 Ssangyong Rexton isn't very accurate. It seems to have a 'delayed reading' up to half full.

I'm trying to get some economy figures at the moment with and without water/methanol injection and I'm using the low level light as a reference.
                smithy
                Last edited by smithy; 26 August 2018, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Hi smithy,

Originally posted by smithy View Post
                  I'm trying to get some economy figures at the moment with and without water/methanol injection and I'm using the low level light as a reference.
                  You will need something a whole lot more reliable and accurate than the fuel gauge and the low fuel level light to run a meaningful economy comparison test.

Comment

Hi smithy,

You will need something a whole lot more reliable and accurate than the fuel gauge and the low fuel level light to run a meaningful economy comparison test.
                    I agree with Tilly, You need to have mileage and litres of fuel used to make a meaningful comparison for fuel economy tests. Use the same route under the same conditions. You could use a container of known volume, connected to the fuel system by a valve, to allow the amount of fuel during the test to be accurately compared. The odometer should be accurate enough, even if it reads high or low, it will be the same accuracy for the tests, regardless of the fuel in use.
                    Drive with WI disabled, until fuel container is empty, switch to the main fuel tank, return to the starting location, refill the fuel container and repeat the trip with the WI enabled. The difference in distance traveled will be due to the WI, provodomg driving style and other conditions remain the same.

I should do this with my WI system too.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

I intended to do the test with the low fuel light about 10 times, each with about 10 litres of fuel. Surely even though the level where the light comes on isn't accurate, over 10 times the error would mostly average itself out.

My Rexton was manufactured Feb 2006 but not sold by a dealer and registered until Nov 2007 so It's one of the change over cars ie has common rail but no DPF. I would therefore assume it has an in tank pump which makes Tonys suggestion of a separate container a little difficult.

TBH I'm not that bothered (in a way) between the comparison with and without the WI. I'm trying to get the gms CO2/Km down to less than 226 which would put it into the lower tax band and reduce the road tax by nearly 50%
                      smithy
                      Last edited by smithy; 28 August 2018, 01:11 AM.

Comment

VIBRATION DAMPER REPLACEMENT FOR SERPENTINE BELT

THE SYMPTOM
                        I did wonder what, if any symptoms there would be if the vibration damper was defective.
                        In my case the symptom was a rattling from the engine compartment at idle that I could only hear inside the car. I could not hear anything when I opened the bonnet.
                        When I increased the engine speed above an idle the rattle mostly went away.
                        The rattle substantially increased when I turned the air conditioner on while the engine was idling or while I had the steering at full lock while idling. Both of these things put an extra load on the engine and slows it down.

SOURCING THE VIBRATION DAMPER
                        I looked on the internet and the cheapest damper I could find available in Australia was $260!
                        I then went to my favorite car parts shop and they could get it for me for $160+ shipping- still a huge price for what it is.
                        I bought it from a UK supplier for $60.70 which included GST and shipping. It took 10 days to arrive.

INSTALLING
                        Installing the vibration damper is a genuine 10 minute job. Just loosen tension on the serpentine belt and undo two bolts to remove the old damper. Install the new damper in reverse order.
                        The thing that took me the most time was finding my 11mm box wrench.

I was concerned that the fan pulley would block the removal of the bottom bolt but it turned out that after removing tension, the tensioning mechanism could be swung up and the bolt would just clear the pulley.
                        This is obviously a design fault because both ASTM and EN engineering standards require that things must be designed in such a way that precludes ease of maintenance.
                        tillyfromparadise
                        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 7 October 2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

On my wife's C250 (OM605) I had to cut the bottom bolt off to remove it. I replaced it with a shorter bolt (probably the PO did this already on your Musso)

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Hi Tony,

I had to cut the bottom bolt off to remove it. I replaced it with a shorter bolt (probably the PO did this already on your Musso)
                            No, I bought the car new in 2006. Once you release tension on the tensioner spring and undo the top bolt on the damper, the bottom bolt is able to be swung up clear of the fan pulley. The limiting length of the bolt is the depth of the threaded hole it screwed into.
                            tillyfromparadise
                            Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 10 October 2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Hi Tony,

No, I bought the car new in 2006. Once you release tension on the tensioner spring and undo the top bolt on the damper, the bottom bolt is able to be swung up clear of the fan pulley. The limiting length of the bolt is the depth of the threaded hole it screwed into.
                              Perhaps a change was made by the Koreans to overcome the correct situation that Mercedes designed , which prevented this item to be serviced without significant dismantling of the cooling system.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                              X