Joined the Musso club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joined the Musso club

I have been using this $ 2.99 Super Cheap inline filter since I started using biodiesel.
    I used to have to change them every month or two because they became clogged.
    Now that I have stopped water washing, they last virtually forever.

They do dis-colour fairly quickly

Comment

Errr, so what were you washing IN to your bio?
      Johnnojack
      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

That is the mystery of our faith.

Perhaps it had more to do with what was not coming out of the biodiesel.

Comment

Hmmm, is it possible that methanol helps to dissolve something that could otherwise block the filter?
          Johnnojack
          4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
          Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
            Hmmm, is it possible that methanol helps to dissolve something that could otherwise block the filter?
            That is the mystery of our faith!

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
              I have been using this $ 2.99 Super Cheap inline filter since I started using biodiesel.
              I used to have to change them every month or two because they became clogged.
              Now that I have stopped water washing, they last virtually forever.

They do dis-colour fairly quickly
              I think they would be fine with Bio and on a lower powered/ smaller engines. I used them on my mercs and my NA patrol and they were OK ( not great but useable for the price).
              On the 4.2 Turbo which I have turned up a bit and running on straight WVO, they just don't seem to have the flow when you put your foot down. Running round town they were OK but out on the highway when you have the thing loaded and running at the limit up a hill, they couldn't keep up with demand.

I'm sure for a lot of vehicles though that are less thirtsty that the 14.5L 100 I often get on highway runs or running thinner bio they would be adequate.

They also discoloured pretty quick for me, even when using them with petrol on the mower and a stationary engine. Not sure why.

Comment

If you are looking for a cheap pre-filter for your vehicle, the one that Mercedes specify for the 300D is excellent.Click image for larger version

Name:	prefilter1.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	94584
                The last one I bought (about 3 years ago) cost around $5. I have had them block up with debris from the tank, but swap them out for a clean one and then later, I wash the blocked filter with a weak caustic solution and it is as good as new again.
                I use the "wing nut" style hose clamps so I can do a pre-filter change without needing tools.
                I keep one in a zip lock bag and if I need to use it, the blocked one goes back into the bag to keep the oil off the upholstery or boot carpet.

They are a mesh style filter and if your fuel is filtered before going into the tank, only the crud from the tank will end up in the filter.

I hope this helps,
                Tony
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I haven't found any of those filters yet touch wood haven't had any issues.
                  Went for a holiday a week ago and did 2000 km's so am really happy.
                  Took some fuel with us from the shed but did have to buy about 100 dollars worth of diesel for running around. Was very happy with how the car ran.

I replaced the two front shocks the week before we left and made sure we had enough filtered oil and bio on the ready.
                  Next project is an engine mount. Hopefully wont be an all dsy event.

Till next time
                  Michael
                  97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                  2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                  2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                  2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                  2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                  Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

I have joined the Musso Club now too.
                    I purchased a 2006 Musso and after replacing all 5 GPs it is driveable. As you can expect with a car that had all GPs failed, I am certain that maintenance has been negligible. I have replaced the engine oil and filter, thermostat (opened too early and heater was not effective).

The Musso horn was not working. I had a quick look and found that the horn was disconnected. "Easy Fix" I thought. Wrong! I connected the wire and the horn sounded continuously. I disconnected it promptly.
                    I removed the horn fuse in the engine bay fuse box, then reconnected the horn.
                    I disconnected the connector from the steering column to the wiring harness in the car and replaced the fuse - all quiet.
                    I removed the airbag and disconnected the horn connector, then reconnected the harness connector from the steering column. The horn sounded continuously.

I believe that the "clock spring" wiring module which allows the horn and air bag wiring to operate (lock to lock) is faulty.
                    Has anyone replaced theirs at all? Any tips to make the job easier?
                    What is the tension for the steering wheel bolt (nut?)?

I have a transmission filter and gasket along with 12 Litres of the correct ATF. This will be next week's job.
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Hi Tony,

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post

I believe that the "clock spring" wiring module which allows the horn and air bag wiring to operate (lock to lock) is faulty.
                      Has anyone replaced theirs at all? Any tips to make the job easier?
                      What is the tension for the steering wheel bolt (nut?)?
                      The electrical system on the musso is a major cause of annoying problems. However I have not heard of your problem before.
                      Fortunately the Automatic transmission and engine are top quality products and should give long trouble free service

Be aware that on the Musso turning on an electrical switch often applies earth/ground to the circuit rather than the more conventional applying battery B+.

Comment

Thanks Tilly.
                        I have workshop manuals and parts lists for the car (unfortunately not including the clock spring part number) I have sourced one in WA and we will be in the area on Monday so will get it (and other parts if I see them) while we are there.
                        Updates will be posted.
                        Oh, I forgot to add that I replaced the Brake fluid last week also. With no service history and obvious lack of maintenance, I want to make sure everything is serviced, so I know when everything is next due.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Another consideration is the serpentine belt along with the idler pulley and tensioner pulley.
                          I replaced the original ones just "on spec" about three years ago at over 200000km.
                          One of the bearings was a bit noisy but the other one seemed ok. The belt looked OK too but I replaced all of them anyway.

About 5 months ago one of the bearings on the new pulleys (don't remember which one) seized and spun the bearing in the plastic pulley leaving me with a melted out center in the pulley.
                          Fortunately it happened 2 blocks from home and so I made it home with the only damage being the destroyed pulley.
                          So I replaced both pulleys as well as the serpentine belt again while I had things apart.

Comment

Tilly,
                            I checked the pulleys and tensioner shock absorber when I was replacing the thermostat, coolant, etc. All were in good order.
                            I will include these checks as part of my routine oil & filter changes and maintenance at 7500km intervals.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

HI All
                              Been a while. As I was reading this post I noticed the info posted about the pulleys.
                              Wish I had noticed that sometime ago before I replaced the girl. One pulley in the engine bay started to whine. I didn't pay too much attention to it and just figured it was a belt too tight.

Anyway coming home one night late in the dark on our busy northern gateway motorway things turned bad at 100km hr. bang and a pulley jumps out from under the bonnet and belt bits.
                              Headlights dim and im cursing.

Anyway I pull over into a side street and call RACQ tow.
                              what a pain. I should have looked a little further and got this replaced when it started to whine.

I have a couple of glow plugs left if you need them Tilly if you are ever down this way.
                              97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                              2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                              2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                              2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                              2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                              Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Working...
                              X