- Easy Rain
    Lyle St Fyshwick

KOH - $80/20kg
    - Canberra Discount Chemicals
    Mitchell

NaOH = Caustic Soda
    - Anywhere
    hdj80
    Last edited by hdj80; 31 March 2006, 08:26 PM.
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Re: Canberra Supplies

Hi!
    Just curious what the price of the methanol and KOH are at these places? Do you recall?
    Thanks!

Comment

Just advising the Mint does not sell direct to the public anymore. I got mine from Bellchamber Produce in Fyshwick (Ph 6299 7332) for $20 each. It has a removable lid making it more adaptable.

Comment

Hi
        I'm a new chum here thanks to HDJ80.
        By brother in Brisbane has asked me a relevent question and someone here might have the answer to it. We both have Nissans Patrols, his 18yrs old and mine 5 yrs old common rail beast. I have not started doing anything yet but have looked and read a hell of a lot.

Are there any limits on how much combustible liquids may be stored in the home enviroment without "approved" storage 'facilities'?

I used to have a diesel fired heating system with a couple of 1000litre tanks (Not ever full I have to say) but they were supplied by the oil company and were probably approved storage.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Phantom

Comment

Diesel and biodiesel are not defined as dangerous but are defined as combustible.
          Hazmat was changed in 2005 with the introduction of AS1940.
          www.workcover.act.gov.au/pdfs/forms/DS_DangSubsPremises.pdf

This does not excuse poor house keeping or protect you from your own stupidity if you are that way inclined. Methanol and Ethanol burn without a visable flame and are very flammable and dangerous. Awareness of what and how you set things up may avert a serious problem.
          Last edited by smokey2; 13 October 2006, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Canberra Supplies - Welding

If you need a welder then I can recommend Vinko in Belconnen area. Call 02 6254 2397. He also has 60litre drums for free.

Comment

Re: Canberra Supplies - Welding

i did some quick calculations of the ongoing materials cost of this exercise, with the following assumptions:

using the dr pepper method
              purely looking at cost of raw materials
              1L of WVO = ~0.8L of usable biodiesel, allowing for wastage
              250ml of methanol per litre of WVO
              10g of KOH per litre of WVO

assuming one buys methanol in the small batch, the price per litre of resultant biodiesel comes to roughly 75c

when buying metho in bulk, the total comes to 40c per litre

This does not take into account time costs, nor does it take into account initial setup costs (drums, equipment), or WVO transport costs. There is also the assumption that the WVO will not come at a cost - this may not be true for everyone. I have no idea how much it might cost to heat a litre of oil to 120C for whatever amount of time might be necessary...

If anyone has done the calculations for themselves, how does this gel with your observations?

Comment

Originally posted by mrnamjama View Post
                i did some quick calculations of the ongoing materials cost of this exercise, with the following assumptions:

using the dr pepper method
                purely looking at cost of raw materials
                1L of WVO = ~0.8L of usable biodiesel, allowing for wastage
                250ml of methanol per litre of WVO
                10g of KOH per litre of WVO

assuming one buys methanol in the small batch, the price per litre of resultant biodiesel comes to roughly 75c

when buying metho in bulk, the total comes to 40c per litre

This does not take into account time costs, nor does it take into account initial setup costs (drums, equipment), or WVO transport costs. There is also the assumption that the WVO will not come at a cost - this may not be true for everyone. I have no idea how much it might cost to heat a litre of oil to 120C for whatever amount of time might be necessary...

If anyone has done the calculations for themselves, how does this gel with your observations?
                mrnamjama

IMHO I wouldn't be making bio now unless I had a real interest in the process and the Environment.
                It sounds like you are wanting to get involved to save money. Well I can tell you that yes your figures maybe close but those figures are for the majority of us that are doing this for the process and the environment or a hobby. If I was doing it to save money I'd never have started, the time I spend collecting wvo, and the up keep of my process takes most of my spare time and cash. I have spent at least a couple grand on my setup just to make good quality bio. I am always buying bits to fix the process..
                So if you were hoping this to be a money saving exercise add all your processor cost, time, water, electricity and even vehicle milage collecting wvo.
                BTW I expect to only making bio for a short time as I truely expect that the day is not far away when we will be shut down. So if you do get started get in now and make sure that you have a good wvo supply before you get going...
                I hope I haven't sounded to harsh but not many people on these lists talk money... It really shouldn't be about money....
                Just my thoughts.....
                HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                Canberra

Comment

Agree with HDJ80. I spend a lot of my time collecting WVO and maintianing relationships with my suppliers. I've also spent a lot of money setting up my processor, not to mention purchasing a shed, putting in a floor and putting power to the shed. Then there's the cost of all the sundry items required for producing bio.

I think from a money perspective, averaging 20,000km/yr, you'd be looking at a good couple of years to recoup your real cash outlay start up costs for a larger production set-up. Then there's the time that can be imeasurable depending on how you value your time.

Like HDJ80 said, you realy need a reason other than money to be getting into bio, it has to be a hobby/passion 'cause if you account for all of the "real costs" it's probably as expensive as dino.
                  Maverick
                  Canberra

Comment

Hi

My assumption was that the dr pepper process is suitable for making of pretty small batches (because that's all I need for my car) quality wise, and that I would have a very convenient and free source of WVO (which I do). As far as I can see, the dr pepper process with basically just 2 litre bottles is quite straightforward and doesn't involve a particularly big outlay in terms of initial startup costs.

Are you of the opinion that it would not be sufficient?

Comment

You must have alot of spare time on your hands, that process will be very time consuming. You also have to filter and wash it. You might be better off converting you vehicle to run on straight Veg oil.

Originally posted by mrnamjama View Post
                      Hi

My assumption was that the dr pepper process is suitable for making of pretty small batches (because that's all I need for my car) quality wise, and that I would have a very convenient and free source of WVO (which I do). As far as I can see, the dr pepper process with basically just 2 litre bottles is quite straightforward and doesn't involve a particularly big outlay in terms of initial startup costs.

Are you of the opinion that it would not be sufficient?

Comment

The Dr Pepper technique is an excellent tool for making small batches of biodiesel as a learning aid, but it would take a long time to make a tank full of biodiesel!

The Dr Pepper technique can be upscaled to 25 litre containers, and can be good exercise agitating them to make biodiesel. This will serve a couple of ends, improved fitness and fuelling your vehicle.
                        Beyond that, the weight of the processor would be too great for manual mixing. I have heard of someone using 60 or 200 litre drums on a pivot, which allows a batch (40 or 120 litres) to be mixed manually. I don't have a link to that post and it was most likely on another forum.

Have Fun,

Tony
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

If you're looking for second hand hot water systems to make an apple seed processor try the scrap metal recyclers at Fyshwick, near CANTURF, I just picked up 1 x 400ltr and 2 x 250ltr for $75.
                          Maverick
                          Canberra

Comment

Working...
                          X