Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen WVO

Well it had to happen.
    I have a pickup in Tuggeranong area for the past 3 years that I check at least twice a week and strange but I haven't gotten any from them for the past 2 weeks I asked the guy's there and apparently there was a "Young fella" that gave them the impression he worked with me that picked up last week.
    He just walked in and said "Where is your Oil" What a cheek
    Anyway I have set the restaurant straight and if they see him again they will be chasing him off. And if I see him
    "What a Jerk"
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Re: Stolen WVO

I had that happen too recently. My drum outside a restaurant was half full and then when I checked it again a few days later it was empty. I have no idea who did it but I'm thinking of getting lockable lids made up for mine.
    Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones
      I fear this problem will only continue to get worse and worse.
      When I started fuel making bio it was 90 cents a litre I made bio not to save money but because I could, These days people are doing it for saving money alone and I think a lot of those are more aggressive than the older hands.....

I put a lot of the blame onto people advertising the use of biodiesel etc just like Jonathon Thwaites course when he visited our little back water to get more people to make bio.... I still don't understand why he came to Canberra unless there was something it it for him.... or someone thought it would be a good idea --- Well forget it it is a bad idea...
      Really we should not be promoting it as the more that need wvo the more problems we will encounter.

If anyone is reading this for the first time and looking at making bio or going the wvo way make sure you get you wvo before you start and if you are going to go about it like this tosser did don't bother get a bike....

People need to understand that we put in an awful lot of work and effort into getting and servicing our pickups and to loss oil like this pisses us all off.
      HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
      Canberra

Comment

hi

to give you an idea of the situation in france where I live, there are some places where it is impossible to find oil ! More and more people are using svo and there are almost as many diesel cars as unleaded so it is very popular.

I also got some oil stolen at the rear of the restaurant i get it from.

It is illegal in France to use oil as fuel, so it refrains people from doing it. Whenever it becomes legal, I can't imagine what will happen ...

Comment

I had a television stolen last week, and I blame anyone who has said they saw something good on TV. If no one said TV was any good, no one would have stolen my TV. The person who stole it is an OK bloke, you cant blame him for wanting to get in on the action, but the person who told him......

Ok I didnt have my television stolen. But who is being blamed here and who should be?

I think the people to blame are the theives here, the people who steal oil from other peoples drums.

And once again I will ask the question. How many people here discovered using used cooking oil for fuel themselves, and how many found it out (perhaps by accident) in a form of "mass media"?
          Captain Echidna
          Last edited by Captain Echidna; 3 October 2008, 10:25 PM.
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Chris,
            How did I fond out about using vegetable oil as a diesel fuel?
            I found out from my father and grandfather who used olive oil in diesel engines and used gas producers to fuel petrol engines during WW2.
            I was urged into action by reading of the use of vegetable oil as diesel fuel by others, in the Renew magazine in around July 2000.

I did a lot of research before converting my Mazda Capella and using it on vegetable oil in September 2000.
            I have helped over 2000 people since then, including members of this forum and others on the infopop and goat industries forums in USA and UK respectively, along with members of WARFA and individuals across Australia and the world, to use vegetable oils as diesel fuel. Not by promoting the "cheap fuel" aspect, but by promoting the environmental benefits of using this "waste product", to reduce emissions created by using petroleum products.
            Despite pressure to state that this was "cheap fuel", I have never promoted it as such. The TV stations added their own slant to interviews using "voice overs" and images of bowser prices rolling back to $0 c/L. These were not the messages I have presented, rather the images that the shallow, greed oriented media organisations have promulgated.
            I don't have a problem with people who use vegetable oil purely on economic grounds, but I feel thay are missing the real advantage for our planet, as miniscule as this impact may be, of reducing the CO2 loading of the atmosphere caused by burning petroleum products in our vehicles.

Despite some people having their own interpretation of my morals, I believe that theft is a crime, regardless who steals. I also note that one member, who is now trying to blame people who promote vegetable oil, is the same one who previously promoted stealing the oil from restaurants.

Regards,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
              I'll happily share my Knowledge with the grass roots Veggers who are in it for the long haul and prepared to put in the groundwork to learn about Veg but I just hope to hell the attention seeking misguided greenies or those prepared to sell out for whatever they can get don't stuff it up for everyone else in the meantime.
              You are spot on there... I couldn't Agree with you more... Exactly my approach..
              HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
              Canberra

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                Not by promoting the "cheap fuel" aspect, but by promoting the environmental benefits of using this "waste product", to reduce emissions created by using petroleum products.
                Tony it is time you catch up... times have changed.... The more people that do this the more pressure is put on the ground level environment. Food stocks deminishing ... Just see what is happening with corn in the US... So it is time to stop promoting it "fullstop". Stating that biofuels are "good for the Environment" is BS.... we are as bad as Dino Diesel users.... just in a different way...

Below Text is snipped from Biofuels Can Damage Environment More than they Benefit It - It's Official! | celsias

Something that many of us in the environmental field have known for a while now is at long last being acknowledged by the scientific community. Biofuels, often touted as the answer to our transport fuel problems, can cause more harm to the environment and to some of the world’s poorest communities than they do good. The EU, China and the USA especially have been promoting the uptake of biofuels as a replacement to petroleum based fuels for automotive transport in recent years. They have all set national targets within specific timeframes for increased biofuel use.

This rush to embrace biofuels has created a whole raft of environmental and social problems, ranging from deforestation to farm worker displacement to higher food prices to increased carbon emissions . Now, the scientific community is calling for a more cautionary approach to biofuels uptake. In their report “Sustainable Biofuels: prospects and challenges” released yesterday, the Royal Society is calling on the UK government to put in place policies that will ensure biofuels uptake is genuinely benefiting the environment.
                HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                Canberra

Comment

The operative word here is CAN.

This rush to embrace biofuels has created a whole raft of environmental and social problems, ranging from deforestation to farm worker displacement to higher food prices to increased carbon emissions.
                  No, the rush to PROFIT from biofuels has created these problems.

On one hand, perhaps unsustainable biofuels are a necessary evil to help flow cash into the development of a new generation of sustainable biofuels.

On the other hand, their production has resulted in a great deal of misinformation and bad publicity spreading, about biofuels in general, which may actually kill any chance of better alternatives being developed before it is too late.

Edit: To those still beating on the "keep quiet about veg-oil" drum: If you knew about an imminent disaster, such as a military attack on your city, would you keep quiet about it for the fear that telling people to evacuate would risk your chances of escaping safely?

Just wondering where you draw the line?
                  TroyH
                  Last edited by TroyH; 4 October 2008, 07:21 PM.
                  Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

I agree with Tony concerning RECYCLED OIL, we should talk about it so everyone knows about it, because all the waste must be used and show people that there are alternatives.

But concerning fuel made from SVO, we must keep on communicating about the rush on profit and select our suppliers. Use only localy produced oil and produced with respect of our planet. This is oliomobile.org opinion. If bio fuel can damage our planet, it the big fuel industry and government fault, not our, so we have to fight against this and show a good and green way to make biofuel.

As far as i'm concerned, I help only people who show respect to the planet, even if they want to save money. Because of the economical crisis and our bloody new government, poor people are becoming more and more poor so I think it is right to help these guys as long as they respect our planet, by doing other things besides like recycling glass, plastic paper, or using public transport whenever they can etc ...

Comment

David,
                      Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
                      snip

By promoting Veg oil and increasing the demand for such a limited resource it, it's value will rise, as it has with the pressure commercial producers put on the various feedstock commodities. Once the value of WVO goes up, so will its appeal and more people will be looking to get it by whatever means from wherever they can.
                      So you honestly believe that if the price of used cooking oil goes up then MORE people will want to use it??
                      This does not make sense. Please explain how you come to this conclusion.

I would be happy for the price of used cooking oil to rise to $1.00 per liter or even higher. People would be less likely to squander it by taking unnecessary trips, where walking or using public transport is an option. I doubt that there would be as many people wanting to use Used Cooking Oil then. It would still be a better option for the environment than petroleum diesel.

The blame for a myriad of WVO related supply problems, including theft, can be spin doctored and attempted to be shifted in all sorts of different directions, but the underlying foundation of all problems sourcing purely from demand is undeniable.
                      The words look good, but your meaning is lost somewhere.

Exactly what problems have their underlying foundation sourcing purely from demand?
                      Perhaps you should list all of these problems.

hdj80,
                      You seem to be confused, I was discussing the use of Used Vegetable oil, not plantation of food crop oils. The basis of your post seems to be related to biodiesel and palm oil and the impact of the USA using corn to produce ethanol.

Regards,
                      Tony
                      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                        hdj80,
                        You seem to be confused, I was discussing the use of Used Vegetable oil
                        Not really but I am happy you bought this up.

wvo collected by industry is dewatered filtered then sold to places to make the likes of "Dog food" when there is a short fall in wvo supply then the Dog Food industry (for example) source new SVO... So basically the only time that wvo is helping the environment is when it is saved from the rubbish...

If you have taken over collecting wvo from a waste oil collector then you are contributing to the problem... The more people collecting is just making the the Supply Demand problem worse. If you are promoting wvo collection then you are promoting the problem..

If you still think that you are environmentally friendly you maybe putting less polutants in the air but there are a lot of flow on effects that are increasing with every new bio fuel user coming on line? It maybe time to do some rethinking???
                        HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                        Canberra

Comment

Originally posted by hdj80 View Post
                          Not really but I am happy you bought this up.

wvo collected by industry is dewatered filtered then sold to places to make the likes of "Dog food" when there is a short fall in wvo supply then the Dog Food industry (for example) source new SVO... So basically the only time that wvo is helping the environment is when it is saved from the rubbish...

If you have taken over collecting wvo from a waste oil collector then you are contributing to the problem... The more people collecting is just making the the Supply Demand problem worse. If you are promoting wvo collection then you are promoting the problem..
                          Some fat burners in France promote localy and non dewatered, non coloured, non flavoured ... produced oil so they manage the whole life of the oil.

0. they choose a local environment frendly oil producer
                          1. they bring straight oil from producer to the restaurant.
                          2. they pick up the waste oil
                          3. they filter and use it as fuel in a 2 tank car
                          4. the filter waste is used to heat a house

unfortunately there are not producer all over the country so it cannot be done

Comment

Paying $1 a litre would not help me a lot, but I can see Tonys point (after thinking about it all afternoon)

Taking Mount Gambier as an example, here most (guestimate 80-95%)waste oil goes to stock feed the rest to biofuel.

If there was such demand for biofuel that the price hit $1 I would probably drop off a supplier, and cut some trips (and probably use the bike some more) Of course someone else would pick up the supply, and stop using as much diesel. Of course all veggie oil would be ofseting diesel use, not just a small percent as is the case currently. Of course not great for my pockets, but environmentally a much better proposition than stock feed.

I dont think dog food makers would switch to new veggie oil, I think perhaps less fat would go into dog food.

Another thing that I have been pondering is, this
                            If there were less comercial collectors, there would be more oil for biofuelers.
                            One thing affecting the profitability of comercial collectors is individual biofuel users.
                            So to a point, isnt more biofuelers a positive thing?
                            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna View Post
                              One thing affecting the profitability of comercial collectors is individual biofuel users.
                              So to a point, isnt more biofuelers a positive thing?
                              The short answer here is no. A lot of other commercial organisations, you mentioned dog food producers, but farmers and many others also have a heavy reliance on WVO for their profitability.

Although WVO collectors are the bain of every SVO/Bio user they are essential for many other industries. If all WVO went to bio then who knows what other industries would suffer a significant down turn. It would be short sighted of us to assume SVO and Bio is more important to the environment or the economy then these other users of WVO.

I support Davids argument, everything is good in moderation, and I'd also hate to see the WVO landscape of Europe, the UK and USA be repeated here.
                              Maverick
                              Canberra

Comment

Working...
                              X