Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SVO powered Terrano died need help

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
    I would check the pressure regulator valve first though the rings may havé rotted away leaving you with zéro pump pressure. Invest sèveral hours cleaning all the parts dont loose anythink ans peut together in a stérile place like à cleaning office desk. Sort iPad is self correction gin franchement gérer french ahhh!
    I nearly spat out my coffee! 😂
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

I have had an injector pump fail with a identical problem, dont pull it to bits just yet. The problem is there is a vane pump inside the injector pump, the vanes get stuck with crap. You can flush out the pump by removing the return line banjo and and the inlet line, and use a petrol fuel injector pump to circulate a solvent through IP for around 20 minutes. I used metho about 3 years ago on a vehicle after it died and it is still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by smithw View Post
        I have had an injector pump fail with a identical problem, dont pull it to bits just yet. The problem is there is a vane pump inside the injector pump, the vanes get stuck with crap. You can flush out the pump by removing the return line banjo and and the inlet line, and use a petrol fuel injector pump to circulate a solvent through IP for around 20 minutes. I used metho about 3 years ago on a vehicle after it died and it is still going strong.
        Hi mate thats sounds promising but I have absolutely no idea how you did it , could you explain the procedure you used in more detail....im pretty mechanical but injector pumps are a bit of a mystery to me, feel free to assume your talking to a dummy , I wont take offence.

Comment

Ok get some fuel line a bucket, 4 liters of metho, an in-tank pump from a fuel injected petrol car, some wires, hose clamps. Remove the "fuel in" line from your IP and use a bit of hose or fuel line to connect up to your in-tank pump to your IP. Hook on a couple of jumper wires to the in-tank pump so you can power it with a battery. Throw the pump in the bucket
          Next remove the return line banjo and look inside the bolt that holds it down. You will see that it has a tiny hole that is very restrictive, so you will have to find a way of connecting a hose to your IP and returning the other end to your bucket. You can just jam a hose in the hole or get another banjo and bolt from the inlet side of an IP pump.
          Fill up your bucket with metho or what ever you think will dissolve your WVO Gunk the best and fire up the pump, watch for leaks etc. Once you have let it run for a few minutes you can rinse an repeat if you want, But i always then flush the metho out with some bio, or diesel.

You can then reassemble everything and bleed your pump. If the your IP vane pump is working you will get a flow of fuel coming out of the return line when the engine is cranked or running.

Ive done this a number of times, on different vehicles and it has always worked for me
          good luck with it. let us know how you go.

Comment

Thanks mate will have a go and get back to you , much apreciated cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 83Patrol View Post
              I nearly spat out my coffee! 😂
              After about 20 minutes correcting every word I gave up and let it do its thing. Missus has been learning French on my bloody IPad and had set the keyboard language .
              On topic does the IP pump any fuel out the return? If not yes the vanes could be stuck.
              Johnnojack
              4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
              Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

I like Smithw's idea. I heard about a similar principal applied to clean the IP & injectors while the vehicle is still operation - a 'diesel purge' using a product like Liqui Moly Diesel Purge - the Mercedes guys seem to rave about it. In this case, you just disconnect the inlet and return hose to the IP and drop them in the can of solvent and start your engine, running it until all the solvent has been consumed - heaps of vids on Youtube. It is a bit exy at $20 - 25/can though, but if you could work out what solvents are in the mixture, you could probably replicate it using smithw's method - might give a bit of extra cleaning power on top of the metho? I recall Tillyfromparadise breaking down the components of commercial injector cleaner in a recent thread...'Piston slap?' maybe. The trick is finding a solvent that will work on both dino and veg gum, but not destroy any of the seals. What about carby cleaner? That stuff is lethal on grime...and rubber gloves....
                3DB
                1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
                1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
                1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
                @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
                @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

I believe acetone is the go.
                  Maybe hard to get since all the "tourism" paranoia began . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by timorcoco View Post
                    I believe acetone is the go.
                    Maybe hard to get since all the "tourism" paranoia began . . . .
                    nail polish remover is basically 100% acetone isn't it?
                    3DB
                    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
                    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
                    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
                    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
                    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by 3DB View Post
                      nail polish remover is basically 100% acetone isn't it?

Yes and No. The old stuff was, but now ya see bottles claiming to be 100% acetone free.
                      In the paint section at the big 'B' wharehouse ya can buy it in any quantity ya like up to 5 litre tins I think.

Comment

Aa Qwarla has pointed out, acetone is readily available at all fine hardware stores.
                        I am not sure I would start out using straight acetone in my IP.

If it were me, I would start with something like Petrol, naphtha, Kerosene or mineral turpentine which is also known as White spirit,turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum), varsol, Stoddard solvent,or more generically paint thinner.
                        Most magical liquids that you pay $20-$30 for a 300ml bottle of that "fixes everything that might be possibly wrong with your engine" is normally a mixture of some or all of the above mentioned products.
                        tillyfromparadise
                        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 5 August 2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Yes I still havent gotten around to trying it yet will let you all know how I go

Comment

Well I finally pulled finger out and tried this fix, got two hose barbs with m12 thread and fitted it to the pump and pushed metho thru it for an hour. Reassembled everything cranked her over and still no fuel exiting the IP. C an only assume the pump is dead and with that the car. She was a good old girl but with other issues it may well be the right time to send her off to Valhalla. Thanks for input everyone , it was much appreciated. cheers

Comment

The brown sticky gunk in your pump is not going to dissolve away magically with an hours contact with ethanol/metho. Metho is not a great solvent anyway. Petrol would be better. I still think you should take off the pump and take it apart. Better than just junking the car. If you are about to do that then taking it apart and failing to fix it is no great loss. You could try taking off the pump then just taking the cover off. You will see how dirty it is then and if you have the patience you could clean it without further disassembly using petrol and a brush. The longer you leave it the harder it will be to clean. I left one for 6 months and it was stuck together inside like glue.
                              Johnnojack
                              4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                              Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

I would try again with petrol or something else, I have not try to clean a pump thats has WVO oil through it, only bio and diesel powered pumps. Bio works great for removing the sticky stuff in diesel powered pumps, methos quite good for Bio pumps. Maybe you could get some gunk out of the bottom of a filter and see what dissolves it the best.
                                Did you get much crap in the bucket? When Ive done it I get a surprising amount of junk in the bottom of the bucket.
                                It also might be useful to crank the engine over for a few seconds while you have your flush pump running, as you are trying to loosen up those vanes in the IPs internal lift pump.
                                smithw
                                Last edited by smithw; 13 August 2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X