Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been away - what's changed?

Hi everyone,

I have been off the scene for a few years after moving house.

I have just dug out the old gear and it takes me back to the good times so I am thinking of getting back into it. Either BD or WVO. I have given up on the idea of a CRD so looking for old school again.

Has anything changed in terms of collecting oil? Being in western Sydney now, it might be a bit of a challenge. Are there new regulations to look out for?

I think I can still work out the rest of it from memory. Just trying to put the plan together.

Any news from the last 5 years would be great.

Cheers

Re: Been away - what's changed?

Originally posted by Chev28 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been off the scene for a few years after moving house.

I have just dug out the old gear and it takes me back to the good times so I am thinking of getting back into it. Either BD or WVO. I have given up on the idea of a CRD so looking for old school again.

Has anything changed in terms of collecting oil? Being in western Sydney now, it might be a bit of a challenge. Are there new regulations to look out for?

I think I can still work out the rest of it from memory. Just trying to put the plan together.

Any news from the last 5 years would be great.

Cheers
    Chev,
    Welcome back.
    Not much has changed, fewer of us posting. Tilly still is picky about unsubstantiated claims made by forum members. More people using WVO in blends rather then 2 tank or biodiesel, otherwise "same old same old" or SSDD (Same Shyte Different Day).

I do not recall any regulation changes, in any state being, posted on this forum.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

In the past 5 years there was some discussion of making biodiesel at room temperature, that although slower does go to completion in a simple base method.

Comment

Thanks Tony and Wesley,

Blending sounds interesting now there is a better knowledgebase.

Can blending get "good enough" to replace BD (for older vehicles)? Does it replace the need for some or all the heating infrastructure in a WVO vehicle? Does it avoid ring coking issues?

To be honest, blending properly filtered oil sounds safer and simpler than the hassles of BD so I will do some more research after what you have told me.

Cheers

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by WesleyB View Post
          In the past 5 years there was some discussion of making biodiesel at room temperature, that although slower does go to completion in a simple base method.
          Yes, that has been known for many years that, providing you get a good mix, you can make quality biodiesel at temperatures of 25°C and lower. It just takes time. Mixing for longer is likely to be significantly cheaper than heating the oil from 25°C to 50°C.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

My last 2 tank conversion was 10 years ago on a W123 300D. My wife's W124 300D ran a blend of 10% ULP, but used the fuel heater that is part of that vehicle's fuel system.
            My current vehicle (Musso Sports 2.9L Turbodiesel) is on a ~15% ULP blend during winter and ~10% during Summer.
            Insufficient ULP in winter shows as hard starting when cold.
            Excess ULP in Summer shows as vapour lock causing hard starting when hot.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Thanks Tony,

Do you use any supplementary fuel heating in the Musso?

Have you heard of the old issues of ring coking coming up with blending?

Comment

Originally posted by Chev28 View Post
                Thanks Tony,

Do you use any supplementary fuel heating in the Musso?

Have you heard of the old issues of ring coking coming up with blending?
                Chev28
                I do not have any supplemental heating in the Musso (or in the 300D Turbodiesel that was my last Mercedes.)
                I have not heard of ring coking at all from people using blended fuels.
                That could be that:
                They are embarrassed by the coking after all the naysayers told them it would happen if they did not heat the oil.
                It takes longer with a blend or
                It is not an issue with the blend ratios that are being used.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Chev28, I have asked on another forum that I occasionally visit, whether any members have had coking issues when using WVO fuel blends.
                  I will report back on any comments I get.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Thanks Tony,

Like you I remember the early days when cold oil was assumed to automatically lead to ring coking.

It would be good to look a the evidence after all these years.

Comment

Working...
                    X