Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel in Adelaide

Hi
    Recently moved to Adelaide from the UK and I'm wondering what the law is regarding making Biodiesel for personal use in SA?
    I've made Bio in the UK for the past 5 years with good results and would like to start brewing again.
    Any advice on the law etc. gratefully received.

Cheers,Jonneeb

Re: Biodiesel in Adelaide

Jonneeb

try to catch up with some of the local brewers. they will inform you of what happens with the Australian tax laws.
    you'll also get to know anyone who can help or more importantly find out where not to collect from and who also collects from what areas. that way you know you aren't stepping on anyones toes as well.

Good luck
    Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
    Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

We don't actually make Biodiesel for use on the road. .We make experimental batches to see how it turns out, and to get the glycerine byproduct. Some might make it to use on their hobbyfarm or for heating. The reason no-one makes it to use in their car is you need to register as a producer and pay tax on it.
      Johnnojack
      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Hi,
        Understand, so, can you point me in the right direction to find the government legal stuff then that tells me how much tax, how to register etc etc so I can see if it's worth doing?
        What do you do with the Glycerine by-product?

Whereabouts are you in SA?

Cheers for the info.

Jonneeb

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
        We don't actually make Biodiesel for use on the road. .We make experimental batches to see how it turns out, and to get the glycerine byproduct. Some might make it to use on their hobbyfarm or for heating. The reason no-one makes it to use in their car is you need to register as a producer and pay tax on it.

Comment

Hi Jonneeb

I am just starting out make some backyard biodiesel on Adelaide. Have you made any progress?

Cheers
          Phil2042

Comment

Originally posted by phil2042 View Post
            Hi Jonneeb

I am just starting out make some backyard biodiesel on Adelaide. Have you made any progress?

Cheers
            Phil2042
            Hi Phil
            Unfortunately, No, we are still living in rented accomodation so, as the job can be a bit messy, I think it may be better to wait until we have our own place!
            Where are you based? I made Biodiesel in the UK for about 5 years before coming out here so if I can be of any help please just ask away.
            Cheers,
            Jon

Comment

Hi Jon

I am based at Modbury. Happy to catch up and talk biodiesel.

Phil2042

Comment

I think JohnnoJack may have been pulling your leg a bit....

The only stories I've heard about people lodging their biofuel taxation return with the fuel excise department are that they get frowned at and told to come back when they're doing thousands of litres a month, not fifty.

However, that said, the rules are that you are not allowed to mix excisable fuel with non excisable fuel and that you must pay fuel tax, I think it's something around 47c/l, on the biodiesel you produce. I've yet to hear of anyone that has a regular relationship with the fuel excise people, so perhaps it's because all the bio is made for the glycerol after all :-)

Tim
                Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Ah, my understanding is improving.
                  Thank you.

Comment

Hi Phil,
                    I'm in Port Noarlunga but I work in Daw Park so I'd probably come to you from work.
                    How far along with reactor build, regular oil supply etd are you?
                    Cheers,
                    Jonneeb

Comment

Hi
                      I am still making test batches in 2 lt bottles. Collected 20 lt of used veggie oil from a friend.... so extremely basic start. Do you have a pic of the reactor you have used in the past?
                      Phil

Comment

Hi Phil
                        Understand where you are now. Yes, I have photo's of the set up I built in the UK, pm me your email address and I'll send them over, for some reason this forum won't accept the pictures..
                        It was made from an old copper hot water cylinder, I aquired the pipework from a friend and only really paid for the valves as I maanged to get my paws on most everything else for free.
                        I suggest you secure a regular supply of oil before building anything of any size, could save you plenty of time and money too.
                        I was regularly processing 90 Litre batches back in the UK, with some really good results.
                        If you want any help setting up just let me know.

Comment

My email address......phil2042****part of email address removed by mod*** mail.com

Look forward to a photo or two.

Cheers, Phil

***Mod edit ****
                          posting email addresses in the forum encourages trolling robots and spammers. Send Phil a PM if you want to contact him

Comment

Hi Guys just new to this forum, I own a company which makes mid size biodiesel units in South Australia. With answers to the excise question the government wants 38.1c per litre for biodiesel which does not meet the australian fuel standard, the same standard which is used in the UK and Europe. By law even if you are only making biodiesel for homer use or to make glycerine you still have to be registered with the ATO as the government has taxed not "biodiesel" but "methyl Ester".

if you test you fuel to the standard and it passes you dont have to pay the excise and this is a rebate process through AusIndustries.

currently there is only one company which tests fuel in australia for the public but this cost over $3k for all the tests.

we are looking up setting a lab up to allow small scale produces like you guys to get samples tested more cost effectivly.

happy biodiesel making

cheers morgan

Comment

Hi Morgan

Good luck with the manufacturing of Biodiesel units. And with setting up the lab for testing. I would like to stay in touch with how it is all developing.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X